July 2014 Moms

17p

Anyone else doing these shots? Or taken them in the past?   I am 16 weeks tomorrow and the office wants me to start them and take till 37 weeks. I have a history of preterm birth (one at 33 weeeks and one at 35 weeks, both were fine less than a week stay in the NICU.) DH wants me to decline them, and I don't think I know enough to make a valid desicion. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome. =)

Re: 17p

• I have no experience, but did a quick google search for articles and studies and it sounds like they have proof that 17p does help to prevent preterm labor. Would it be possible for your husband to go with you to an appointment and talk to the doc about his concerns? Maybe that would help to ease his mind.
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • abchittamabchittam member
    edited January 2014
    Why does he want you to decline them? I googled it and I think it's the same as what I will be taking (Makena). My doctor suggested it so I am going to trust her recommendations on it. She said that she has not had a patient yet to deliver while on them and that she would have taken them herself had they been out when she was pregnant. There is history of preterm labor in my family and my son also tried to come at 33weeks. I am going to do all that I can to prevent my baby from being born any earlier than it has to. Yeah, your babies may not have had to stay more than a week in the NICU, but I know my son has several things now that are attributed to his early birth. They aren't major things, but stuff like more severe problems when he gets any kind of respiratory illness. He has to take the breathing treatments at the dr/hospital because they won't let you take the good stuff home. I personally would not like to add another child to my 2am ER runs when he wakes up with stridor.
    Just my opinion…
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I agree...I think the benefits outweigh the risks. Goodness knows I would love to have this baby and come home and forego any kind of stay. Bless him, I'm not exactly sure why he does't want me to take them, maybe just the unknown. He isn't "medically minded" so I don't know if he really understands the risks and benefits. Thanks for chiming in ladies! =)
  • What are your DH's reasons for wanting to decline them?

The research out there really seems to be pointing to them being beneficial. You can look at abstracts on PubMed.

FWIW, my friend delivered a 30 weeker 6 years ago and just had her second baby, who was a 34 weeker. She had the p17 shots. 30 weeks vs 34 weeks is a huge deal.

TTC #1 since 10/2012.
    BFP#1 11/28/12, MC, BFP #2 CP
    BFP #3 10/21/2013, EDD 7/3/2014
    Beta #1 (4W6D): 1768 Beta #2 (5W1D): 5255
    1st US at 6W4D HB of 112 BPM!

1/20/2014: IT'S A GIRL!

6/30/2014: Happy birthday baby M!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"