July 2014 Moms
Options

Hyperemesis + Zofran Pump

I had my 14 week OB visit yesterday. The baby is doing great which is wonderful news. I on the other hand, not so much. I've lost more weight putting the total at just over 15 lbs. I'm still throwing up 7-10 times per day even on diclegis+phenergran+zofran. I had a little bit of protein in my urine (not enough that she was too concerned) and my BP was high (for me I'm normally around 107/68) at 135/76. She wanted to put me on a Zofran pump ASAP.

I really don't want a Zofran pump. I asked her to let me continue as is and see if I don't see more improvement as I move farther into the second tri. If in four weeks I have not either gained or maintained she's basically going to put me on the pump. I know I have a choice and I can refuse treatment, but I would not if she thinks my health or the baby's health is at risk.

I don't really know the purpose of writing all of this out except to say I am *so frustrated*. I'm sick of being sick. I don't want to poke myself with needles every day. I feel like I can't talk to anyone IRL about this because I don't want them to think I am complaining. I work with all men who have no clue. I don't want to vent on facebook. I know several of my friends or sorority sisters are struggling with IF right now and I don't want them to see it. I am afraid I am becoming depressed. I look forward to getting in bed a little too much each night, but sleep is the only place I can escape the constant nausea and puking. It's to the point where when people ask I just smile and say I'm fine even when it's my mom or my dad (who really do care about the minutiae of their child's health) because to talk about it makes me want to cry.

I swore I would enjoy being pregnant this time. I would savor the moments. I'm just really struggling though.

Thanks for letting me be selfish and get it out y'all.

Re: Hyperemesis + Zofran Pump

• Options
    I really think you should consider the Zofran pump.

I am so, so sorry you feel so awful.

TTC #1 since 10/2012.
    BFP#1 11/28/12, MC, BFP #2 CP
    BFP #3 10/21/2013, EDD 7/3/2014
    Beta #1 (4W6D): 1768 Beta #2 (5W1D): 5255
    1st US at 6W4D HB of 112 BPM!

1/20/2014: IT'S A GIRL!

6/30/2014: Happy birthday baby M!

• Options
    Really, you should consider the pump. It made a huge difference in my friends pregnancy. She was finally able to function. Before the pump, she was in and out of the hospital because she was so sick. If you're afraid you're becoming depressed, you should bring that up to your doctor as well.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am not familiar with the pump - why do you want to avoid it?

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I really hope you feel better soon :(
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I am not familiar with the pump - why do you want to avoid it?

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I really hope you feel better soon :(
    It's like an insulin pump and I could have to remove the needle and restick myself every day. I mean it's a hassle too, but basically I don't know if I could stick myself without it making me throw up more.

• Options
    AMcLaws said:
    Really, you should consider the pump. It made a huge difference in my friends pregnancy. She was finally able to function. Before the pump, she was in and out of the hospital because she was so sick. If you're afraid you're becoming depressed, you should bring that up to your doctor as well.

I know I am also concerned about that since I had PPD/A with my daughter the last thing I need to get hit with is antenatal depression. I really think if I could stop feeling so awful I would be in a better mental state.

• Options
    I am so sorry that you are feeling so terrible, but you have every reason to be frustrated and sick of feeling sick.  Please don't beat yourself up for feeling bad about feeling bad!  You have every reason to feel the way you do.  I really hope that your nausea clears up and if it doesn't, I hope the pump can bring you some relief that you desperately need!

DSC_0111DSC_0036

DS Born 4/7/2011
    DD Born 7/14/2014
  • Options
    i'm so sorry you are feeling so awful.  you should consider the pump though if at the very least to help you just function and maybe feel a little bit better. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image
  • Options
    So sorry you are feeling so terrible. My first pregnancy was like this and this one hasn't been great either so I can really sympathize.

I had a really hard time being pregnant, LO was always fine, but I was just a mess the whole time and I spent so much time sleeping because that was the only relief I could get, like you I always felt guilty complaining which just made everything worse.

I really hope things get better as you get more into the second trimester and that you don't need the pump, and just know we get it, pregnancy can really suck, we are right there with you.
    Thank you! Y'all are my relief right now and my "people" who get what I am going through.

• Options
    I don't know anything about the zofran pump, but I hope if you do decide to use it, you'll finally have some relief.  I too am so tired of being sick and tired! I'm not throwing up as much, but I feel nauseous constantly and throw up several times a week.  I'm 14 weeks now, and still not signs of feeling better. 

I hope you get some relief soon.

Were you this sick during your last pregnancy?

I think it is really great of you to shield your infertile friends from your 'complaining'.  I know they would feel like you're being a big baby and they'd give anything to be in your shoes... so it is really nice for you to shield them from that.

Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I am so sorry that you're feeling so terrible and throwing up so much. I think you should maybe consider the pump, if no other reason than to give yourself some relief. I hope you start feeling better soon!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I admit I have had it easy and I can't understand how you are feeling. I hope that it doesn't stick around for too much longer and that you don't need the pump. I'm not sure if I could poke myself everyday morning either. :(
    A - 4/27/12     D - 7/14/14
  • Options
    I don't know anything about the zofran pump, but I hope if you do decide to use it, you'll finally have some relief.  I too am so tired of being sick and tired! I'm not throwing up as much, but I feel nauseous constantly and throw up several times a week.  I'm 14 weeks now, and still not signs of feeling better. 

I hope you get some relief soon.

Were you this sick during your last pregnancy?

I think it is really great of you to shield your infertile friends from your 'complaining'.  I know they would feel like you're being a big baby and they'd give anything to be in your shoes... so it is really nice for you to shield them from that.

Thank you! Yes I was this sick with my last pregnancy, but the difference is that with DD I had terrible food aversions. With this one the food aversions aren't as bad, I just puke it all back up. :/

• Options
    AMcLaws said:

I know I am also concerned about that since I had PPD/A with my daughter the last thing I need to get hit with is antenatal depression. I really think if I could stop feeling so awful I would be in a better mental state.
    You are not alone in those emotions. I really understand a good part of this. I've struggled with depression most of my life though, instead of having the PPD/A variety. I feel really awful about my gestational diabetes diagnosis and the fact that they put me on insulin so quickly. And i wanted to avoid insulin so badly. Part of me wanted to protest because they only gave me a week to try out the diet but i have a feeling it was going to happen sooner or later anyways and it does have such an effect on the baby. I actually thought i would feel better during pregnancy, the whole growing a person would give me purpose and everything would be worth it. 

But really i just feel awful most of the time. I have a lot of anxiety right now. I have to give myself insulin before breakfast, lunch and bedtime. 3 times a day with a needle in addition to the finger sticks. I would be so very happy with the thought of getting this kid out of me if it weren't for the possible complications i now face with the birth. 

I actually brought up to my DH the feeling i've been having and the fact that i will probably need to go on medication in the near future. I just keep thinking if something could go right i would feel so much better about this whole thing, but things just keep getting worse. 

So what i'm trying to say is hugs. I'm so so sorry you are going through all of this. I understand some of those emotions and your not alone in them. I really hope it lets up for you and you can avoid the pump. But if you can't i'm here to commiserate anytime. 

And that turned into a novel. Lol. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
    BFP: 11.09.13   EDD: 07.21.14 
    Baby Sylvia born 07.20.14
    5 lbs 14.8 oz | 20 1/4 inches

• Options
    AMcLaws said:

You are not alone in those emotions. I really understand a good part of this. I've struggled with depression most of my life though, instead of having the PPD/A variety. I feel really awful about my gestational diabetes diagnosis and the fact that they put me on insulin so quickly. And i wanted to avoid insulin so badly. Part of me wanted to protest because they only gave me a week to try out the diet but i have a feeling it was going to happen sooner or later anyways and it does have such an effect on the baby. I actually thought i would feel better during pregnancy, the whole growing a person would give me purpose and everything would be worth it. 

But really i just feel awful most of the time. I have a lot of anxiety right now. I have to give myself insulin before breakfast, lunch and bedtime. 3 times a day with a needle in addition to the finger sticks. I would be so very happy with the thought of getting this kid out of me if it weren't for the possible complications i now face with the birth. 

I actually brought up to my DH the feeling i've been having and the fact that i will probably need to go on medication in the near future. I just keep thinking if something could go right i would feel so much better about this whole thing, but things just keep getting worse. 

So what i'm trying to say is hugs. I'm so so sorry you are going through all of this. I understand some of those emotions and your not alone in them. I really hope it lets up for you and you can avoid the pump. But if you can't i'm here to commiserate anytime. 

And that turned into a novel. Lol. 
    Thank you. Really. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this.

• Options
    Did you end up getting it? My insurance won't cover until the first but I can't wait to have the option - can't take anything orally that will stay down. In the hospital the zofran IV was a godsend. Im curious to hear your thoughts.
  • Options
    I lost 20 pounds with DD and was incredibly sick.  They were going to put me on the Zofran pump but were fighting with insurance (it had either not gone generic yet or had just done so).  I couldn't eat and all I wanted to do was sleep.  I worked 12's at the time so on my days off I just slept as much as I could.  I had no kids yet so I was able to do it.  I can't imagine being that sick again and have a toddler at home. I would encourage the Zofran pump as well.  If you feel that awful then you need some relief especially if you are getting depressed.  I really really hope you get better soon.  Keep us updated :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    That's sounds horrible. Please think about the pump to save your sanity. I never thought I could give myself shots, but after IF I'm a pro. They suck at first, but you get used to them. If it can make you feel better, I think it is worth consideration.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    I was put on a zofran pump at 13 weeks and it has made once so much better. I have only thrown up like 5 or 6 times in the last 4 weeks. I know it is scary and it sucks having to stick myself with needles all the time to change the sites but I am able to eat a little more. I have not regained weight but I have not lost anymore either. I was worried about it at first but it really has made life better!!!

Good luck!!!

March 2013: First TTC trip to RE, On 1500 mg Metformin, April 2013:  PCOS and Endometriosis, May 2013:  DH Low volume; Femara 7.5 mg + IUI #1 = BFN, July 2013: Femara 7.5 mg + IUI #2 = BFN, August 2013:  Femara 7.5 mg (X5) + Bravelle (X7) + Ovidrel + IUI #3 + Endometrin = BFP  MC at 5w3d,
    October 2013:  Follistim (X14) + Ovidrel + IUI #4 + Endometrin =BFP!!! 

• Options
    Did you end up getting it? My insurance won't cover until the first but I can't wait to have the option - can't take anything orally that will stay down. In the hospital the zofran IV was a godsend. Im curious to hear your thoughts.

I haven't gotten one as of yet. If I make it to 3pm this afternoon I will be 72 hours of not throwing up, which is a big change from this time last week. My husband and I have agreed if I hit another rough patch to go ahead and set the ball in motion.

The other reason I am hesitant is because IV zofran does nothing for me. They've pumped me full of it before and it just didn't do anything but make it impossible to poop!

• Options
    I haven't gotten one as of yet. If I make it to 3pm this afternoon I will be 72 hours of not throwing up, which is a big change from this time last week. My husband and I have agreed if I hit another rough patch to go ahead and set the ball in motion.

The other reason I am hesitant is because IV zofran does nothing for me. They've pumped me full of it before and it just didn't do anything but make it impossible to poop!

Oh I am so happy to read this! I hope this trend continues and you are out of the worst of it. Good luck to you mama!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"