Babies on the Brain
Options

Cervical mucus

I'm interested in using NFP, or the rhythm method, as a means of birth control and also learning how to chart for when we are ready for a baby. I just wanted to ask is there a batter time to check cervical mucus? Also a naive question, to check it do you have to feel all the way to your cervix or is it the same thing as the discharge in the vagina so I can just check at the opening?

Re: Cervical mucus

• Options
    cmelliott said:
    I'm interested in using NFP, or the rhythm method, as a means of birth control and also learning how to chart for when we are ready for a baby. I just wanted to ask is there a batter time to check cervical mucus? Also a naive question, to check it do you have to feel all the way to your cervix or is it the same thing as the discharge in the vagina so I can just check at the opening?

I don't think there is any time that is better than others. I usually check right before I hop in the shower. As for gathering a sample, you can check whatever you wipe onto toilet paper. I don't produce very much, so I go up.
  • Options
    Joy2611 said:

Your best best for wanting birth control that is not hormone-based is to read the book "Taking Charge of your Fertility."  It breaks down your cycle so you understand what is going on at each step, then tells you how to use basal body temping in conjunction with cervical mucus or cervical position to confirm your date of ovulation.  The book then tells you the five rules to using this information as birth control - ie. natural family planning.  Seriously - take the time to read and understand this book.  It's one of the best things I did for myself.

The rhythm method is not natural family planning, by the way.  Rhythm assumes that you ovulate the same day each month (typically CD14) so you avoid having sex before CD14.  I would've been quite pregnant before we were ready had we blindly followed that route.  I ovulate around CD18 each month.  I know this because of basal body temping and tracking cervical mucus.  My ovulation date also changes each month.  This is true for many women, which is why tracking your temp is so useful.

As for cervical mucus - when I first started, I used to use my fingers to look at the mucus and track carefully sticky from creamy from eggwhite.  Over the months, I've become very adept at knowing what is eggwhite and only really pay attention to that.  I don't dig for anything anymore.

If you find you aren't making a lot of mucus, you can up your water intake.  Dehydration may make mucus less
    noticeable.

Good luck!

Thank you. I definitely know now not everyone ovulates the same time from lurking around here and seeing everyone say that at least ten times a day lol. And thanks for mentioning the water part. I didn't think about fluids being connected to lubrication. I'm normally very dry and we have to use lube a lot so maybe that will help with that too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"