Special Needs
Options

Another Intro- probable SPD diagnosis

Hi there,

I've been lurking here a bit, but I'm feeling ready to join :) 

My son is 2.5 and we're expecting a sensory processing disorder diagnosis soon.  He's on  the "seeker" side of things.  He's had slow weight gain, and anemia and low IgA that raised questions of celiac (he's not, it was ruled out via endoscopy, but he does have a small ulcer). We've also dealt with a lot of pickiness and texture aversions as an infant. He's overcome a lot of the texture issues now, and in fact loves to fingerpaint and play in sand. He's also becoming very interested in trying and eating new foods.  

Because of his slow weight gain, medical issue, pickiness, and behavioral issues surrounding meals (in constant motion) we were referred to a multidisciplinary feeding team assessment at our children's hospital.  Our meal was observed by an OT, SLP, dietician, GI nurse practitioner, and psychologist. We also completed a comprehensive sensory processing questionaire. 

We're waiting for the full report, but the OT immediately noticed sensory differences surrounding proprioception (large bites, and fell out of his chair) and seeking behaviors. Basically the kid would move, climb, wrestle, roll in toys, etc. all day long if you let him and he'll do all of this instead of sitting to eat. 

We will be starting individual OT once approved by insurance with a plan to transition to group feeding therapy in the summer. He's a bright, happy, and social kid who has managed to function well, especially in preschool, despite the differences. We're looking forward to learning ways to meet his sensory needs and make meal times happier in our house :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Another Intro- probable SPD diagnosis

• Options
    Welcome to our board!
  • Options
    Welcome! My DS1 has SPD as well among other things and he is also a seeker.

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Welcome! My older DD has SPD. She's tactile-avoiding and has vestibular issues.
  • Options
    Welcome!

I have a newly dx'd (with ASD, just last week!) almost 28 month old DS. He is also a skinny mini...though he has no feeding issues save for not liking utensils. He is mostly a seeker (visual with some vestibular).

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    Welcome, my son has SPD and is 3.5 yrs. We got his dx before his 2nd birthday. Mine is a huge seeker as well and had texture issues as a baby. He rec'd almost a year of OT in a sensory gym and continues to rec'd ST. We have made our house our own little sensory area. I look at almost everything in a sensory way now. After almost a year of OT, he "graduated" out of it and we continue at home and he has done amazing. He still craves proprioception but it's much more managable now. Once you learn all about SPD it is amazing to find out simple things that can work to help. If you need ideas let me know and I will be happy to share.
  • Options
    Welcome, my son has SPD and is 3.5 yrs. We got his dx before his 2nd birthday. Mine is a huge seeker as well and had texture issues as a baby. He rec'd almost a year of OT in a sensory gym and continues to rec'd ST. We have made our house our own little sensory area. I look at almost everything in a sensory way now. After almost a year of OT, he "graduated" out of it and we continue at home and he has done amazing. He still craves proprioception but it's much more managable now. Once you learn all about SPD it is amazing to find out simple things that can work to help. If you need ideas let me know and I will be happy to share.
    Yes! I'm looking into how we can make his room and the playroom friendly to his sensory needs. Last night I let him vacuum with the Dyson for 20 minutes before dinner- so lots of input between the heavy pushing, noise, and vibrations. Maybe it was a coincidence, but he did better at dinner.  

Do you have any book recs?  I've heard "The Out of Sync Child" and "Out of Sync Child has Fun" are good.  Are you familiar with "Sensational Kids"?  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I have read all those book and they are great. I will tell you from experience, get in with a good OT who is familiar with SPD.  This will be key to getting proper therapies. My son's ST was also very familiar with SPD so she worked alot from the sensory prospective. I am amazed at the changes in my son over the last 1.5 yrs. I had gotten to the point of avoiding places like parks and bday parties and now we attend all the time with no problems. Here are some things I did for sensory stuff that you can do at home. Swings, trampolines, slides, jump on balls, I made a ball pit out of inflatable pool with balls all bought at target. I also did sensory boxes. One had rice and little scoops and toys in it, another had beans or lentils, one had feathers and cotton balls in it. We also did playdough press, lotion massages, pounding toy bought from target, bean bag for crashing, weighted belt and blanket, joint compressions, press wall( they stick up stickers and use it as an area to press hard against wall). Vibrating teether or toothbrush for him to bite on. These things all worked great and were not expensive. Hope these ideas help you. Your OT can also help come up with ideas of things to do.

• Options
    We want to come play at both of your houses!  DS is a very nimble climber…he'd be all over your future cargo net :)  

Thanks for the ideas! 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"