Baby Names
Options

Will this name get my kid beat up?

I am considering the name Cora for a girl. I think it is beautiful and classic without being overused, however when I asked what my friends and family thought one of my friends said it would get her beat up in school. Now I am not sure where he gets this but I want other opinions. Thanks.

Re: Will this name get my kid beat up?

• Options
    What? Why? No Cora is a fine name! Your friend is crazy
    Thats what I thought too but I thought maybe I was biased. Thanks
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What school are you planning to send her too?
  • Options
    Its a guy and he wants me to name her Daphne. Daphne makes me think of Scooby Doo, I can't do that to my kid.
  • Options
    emmy236 said:
    What school are you planning to send her too?
    The closest one to where I live I guess. Lets put it this way, my oldest is Anakin and he has never been beat up, most people think his name is cool. So I personally don't see how Cora, which is a perfectly lovely old fashioned feminine name would get her beat up. I just wanted to see if I was the only one who thought him thinking that was odd.
  • Options
    mjreilly2 said:
    Well, I guess can't say the same thing, then, because Daphne is a great name. Love it. I am surprised that with him liking Daphne, he thinks Cora is so strange.
    It's not that I dislike Daphne, I like it a lot, on other peoples kids.
  • Options
    mjreilly2 said:
    BrandyD06 said:
    mjreilly2 said:
    Well, I guess can't say the same thing, then, because Daphne is a great name. Love it. I am surprised that with him liking Daphne, he thinks Cora is so strange.
    It's not that I dislike Daphne, I like it a lot, on other peoples kids.
    Oh, I understand. I was just expecting you to say he liked something like Embersley or Brooklii or Harlea or Maxwell or something. Not something so...normal and "on par" with Cora.
    Yeah I know, I don't get it myself.
  • Options
    If you were name your SON Cora, yeah... maybe. But on a girl it's cute, simple, and classy.
  • Options
    What? No it's fine and getting more common . I know two little Coras
    Me-Caciona (30) DH- Dave (41) 9/27/08
    Mommy to Nils David since 9/21/11
    Expecting Serafina Ann  around 4/23/2014

• Options
    I love Cora. I wonder what he's basing that on? 
      It's a girl!! EDD 2/28/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That's one of the weirdest things I've ever heard. Either your friend is drinking, or you're in an area that I would honestly move away from like..........yesterday.

Anyway, Cora is a perfectly legit and beautiful name. I have a friend with a 2 year old named Cora.
    (Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)
  • Options
    Your friend is dumb.
  • Options
    My daughter is Cora and we get so many comments along the lines of, "ohhh such a beautiful name." They could just say nothing at all about her name, so I think they mean it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    See I think it is pretty. Plus it is my Grandma's middle name and I want to give the baby the name Cora-Leigh and then let my husband choose the middle name
  • Options
    mjreilly2 said:

...I would stick with Cora and toss -Leigh far away. Cora-Leigh sounds like orally. I could understand where your friend is coming from with Cora-Leigh. It is taking a pretty, old name and making it trendy and "cutesy."

This. I was with you on Cora til you said your plan was to tie it down with Leigh
  • Options
    Maybe he thinks you're having a boy?? Cora is completely normal, I have an Aunt Cora so I am completely used to the name. It's gaining a lot of popularity these days.
  • Options
    I love the name and its on my top three list as well. I'd ignore your friend.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Cora is a great name.

DS born Oct. '11

TTC #2 with PCOS since Nov. '13

Dx: Low Progesterone (3.3) on 8/12/14

Waiting for RE appointment on 10/28/14

Surprise BFP on cycle 12 -- 10/19/14!

EDD July 1, 2015

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    mjreilly2 said:
    ...I would stick with Cora and toss -Leigh far away. Cora-Leigh sounds like orally. I could understand where your friend is coming from with Cora-Leigh. It is taking a pretty, old name and making it a trendy and "cutesy" mess.
    Exactly this.
  • Options
    LOVE Cora. A friend of mine has it on her list and is actually the one who introduced the name to me. Unfortunately, I feel like that makes it off limits for me.
  • Options
    1) Girls rarely beat each other up.  They tend to play mind games instead.
    2) When they do beat each other up, it's usually over a guy.  Not because of a name.
    3) Cora is a fantastic name.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Beautiful name! That person is crazy! ;;)
  • Options
    Wha?  I can't even think of a way that this name could be made fun of.
  • Options
    What? Why? No Cora is a fine name! Your friend is crazy
    This!
  • Options
    Love Cora.  We have a neighbor (almost 4) named Cora, and I've only ever heard people compliment her name.
  • Options
    What? Why? What?

I'm kind of flabbergasted that someone thinks the name Cora would get a girl beaten up. I just don't understand.
    image image

• Options
    I don't think Cora would warrant getting beat up.  It's nms, but I've heard worse.
    Me 31 ~ DH 30
    IVF/FET #1 - BFP!!
    <3 CJW 6/15/2014 <3
    DX - PCOS 2004
    FET #2 - scheduled for 11/24/15
  • Options
    To everyone that has posted, I have no clue why he thinks the name would get a little girl beaten up because when I asked him why he said that all he said was "trust me on this". Makes no sense, so I think if this baby is a girl I will name her that. Thank you everyone for your input.
  • Options
    mjreilly2 said:
    ...I would stick with Cora and toss -Leigh far away. Cora-Leigh sounds like orally. I could understand where your friend is coming from with Cora-Leigh. It is taking a pretty, old name and making it a trendy and "cutesy" mess.
    Not really going for cutesy or trendy. Cora Is my grandmothers middle name and Lee is my grandfathers. I love them both and I would like to namesake them so I thought I could give her a more feminine version of Lee.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"