Military Families
Options

Job after retirement question

DH has almost 18 years in with the USMC.  What do people do for work when they get out if they seem to only have a skill set that allows for managing other people with no real training in anything?  He is an Ops Chief right now.  This has probably been asked a million times...but the fact that he is retiring early just got sprung on me tonight.  No option of staying in so that's where we are.  Just curious what ideas you all might have.  Thanks!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Job after retirement question

• Options
    NSLNSL member
    Does he have a college degree?
  • Options
    There are a lot of programs that help military members transition to civilian careers.  His base should have some kind of program or office to help with this.  He can start by asking the Family Readiness Center (is it Fleet Readiness Center for Navy and MC?).  They can point him in the right direction.

imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Nope.  No college degree.  I think he is going to do what you said though....go to some place on base to ask and he's networking as well.  I just wish I could help in some way but unfortunately I have no ideas since this is suddenly upon us and I haven't asked anyone I know in person yet.  Thanks ladies!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sure the Marines have a program similar to that which the Army does that helps prepare a person for separation whether that be through retirement or other action.  He should have to go through a process in which he is counseled on all sorts of activities from resume writing, to job search, to interviews.  The Army calls is Army Career & Alumni Program (ACAP) and I believe it is still mandatory. 

Just because he doesn't have a college degree and no specific training does not mean he is not marketable.  Leading and influencing people can be big assets to certain employers so don't get hung up on the education portion. 

When I separated from the Army I worked as a contractor for the Army doing EXACTLY what I was doing when I was active duty. 
  • Options
    Is he interested in using his GI Bill towards a certificate or degree program? Or like pp said, is it an option to continue doing a similar job as a contractor? GL to you guys!
      It's a girl!! EDD 2/28/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Is law enforcement something he is interested in? Veterans are always looked upon favorably in the hiring process.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I think it really depends on what his MOS is that will determine what he will be suited for post-military. My DH, for example, is a data networker. He will be able to leave the military and secure a high paying job fairly easy doing essentially the same job he performed while in the military. Don't discredit leadership. He could market himself toward a management role in a variety of industries that will provide a living wage at the least. The USMC also has transition classes that are mandatory for those leaving service. It will assist your DH in building a resume, as well as helping him transition from the military to civilian life. Good luck. My DH has less than a year left, maybe less, so I know how stressful it is going into the unknown.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"