February 2014 Moms

Just made the mistake of watching a birth video...

jpoindahousejpoindahouse member
edited January 2014 in February 2014 Moms
Yes, obviously I know on an intellectual level that babies exit via the vajayjay during a vaginal birth. And, yes, I was aware that it is not a clean process. But damn....

Re: Just made the mistake of watching a birth video...

• Yea, birth is just not pretty. They asked if I wanted a mirror with #1 to see. Like I wanted to see my vagina explode?!? Nope, not even a little bit.

imageimage
  • Haha :) Luckily, you probably won't care what all is going on down there.... you'll be so focused on getting that baby OUT! :)
    #rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah I looked at pictures from my DD1's birth. I'd forgotten my body went through that! Now that I'm reminded... I'm a little weary lol
    I'm a sinner saved by grace and a child of the Attitude Era (Oh you didn't know?!?)
    #OurBoyD-Bryan #TeamCrossRhodes #KnowYourRoll #ShutYourMouth 
    DD#1: 9/3/2004 Noelle Catherine
    DD#2: 1/26/2014 Faith Preston
    DC(dear cat?? lol): 6/5/2009 Shane Fitzgerald Kennedy
    I married my best friend <3 DH is my knight in shining armor! 

• I actually found a mirror helped me a lot, so I ask for one if they don't give it to me to begin with. I guess it helps me to see what's
    happening and to push accordingly.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

EDD 10.26.15

Garrett Samuel 1.30.14
    Vanessa Ruby 2.21.13
    Joseph Michael (born into Heaven) 6.17.10
    Rae Patricia 4.14.07

• JammersC said:

I have the opposite reaction ... Birth videos actually make me excited for the birth. I mean, yeah, labor and delivery is painful and messy and definitely not pretty at all, but the end result is a beautiful baby ... Your baby ... And it makes it all worth it, exploded vagina and all.  :)

I love birth videos too lol I will watch a few and always end up cheering them on, like watching sports I suppose!
    My son LOVES birth videos too, PG ones ofcourse, but he keeps asking to watch "mommies getting the baby out" lol (We're having a home birth, so we have been preparing him for it a bit)
  • gfam23 said:
    I actually found a mirror helped me a lot, so I ask for one if they don't give it to me to begin with. I guess it helps me to see what's happening and to push accordingly.

Out of curiosity, how did the mirror help? Not being snarky, just genuinely curious. Did seeing the head crowning, etc. help you determine when to push? I'm a FTM and really have no clue what to expect
  • jpoindahousejpoindahouse member
    edited January 2014
    Meh. I don't see the horror about it, I think it's amazing actually. Birth is so beautiful!

I think that, at its core, birth is beautiful.  I'm creating a human and that is just incredible. In many ways, this whole pregnancy has given me a new reverence for life. People are going to think I am crazy, but the whole process of creating a life has even made me re-think eating meat. (I know, that's a little weird, but I've always been quirky)

But the blood and fluids and all the graphic details of that video were just...wow.

• I think birth is super-cool and beautiful too, but I saw a few videos recently and oh my, the blood! So... much... blood! I have a history of the sight of blood - mine or other people's - making me pass out. Some births that I've watched seem to be minimally bloody, but then others look like a slasher movie.. fingers crossed for a, uh, minimally bloody birth? lol! 

@jpoindahouse I have the same feelings re: growing a baby/re-thinking eating meat thing. I was just thinking about it today, funny you should mention! 
  • I cry or get choked up every time I watch a birth video. Every time. I do make it a point not to watch videos that are traumatic. Many, many are quite beautiful.

maybe I just watched the a really traumatic one? I'm not sure
  • gfam23gfam23 member
    edited January 2014

gfam23 said:

I actually found a mirror helped me a lot, so I ask for one if they don't give it to me to begin with. I guess it helps me to see what's
    happening and to push accordingly.

Out of curiosity, how did the mirror help? Not being snarky, just genuinely curious. Did seeing the head crowning, etc. help you determine when to push? I'm a FTM and really have no clue what to expect

Um... a combination of things I think (never really thought this hard about it, so forgive me as I ramble it out here!) I guess it maybe helped in that it gave me something to focus on, it maybe gave me motivation to push (because I saw what others were seeing, the progress/process of baby coming out). I guess it didn't exactly tell me when to push as much as the contractions did, but for whatever reason it really has helped me. Maybe just the overall awareness / not being blind to what's happening?

Sorry... if I think of a better answer I'll let you know! Evidently I'm not the only one that the mirrors have helped, however, since they're so common in L/D rooms.

Eta: it's also pretty damn cool to watch your baby make its way into the world. Truly a miracle!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

EDD 10.26.15

Garrett Samuel 1.30.14
    Vanessa Ruby 2.21.13
    Joseph Michael (born into Heaven) 6.17.10
    Rae Patricia 4.14.07

• JammersC said:

I have the opposite reaction ... Birth videos actually make me excited for the birth. I mean, yeah, labor and delivery is painful and messy and definitely not pretty at all, but the end result is a beautiful baby ... Your baby ... And it makes it all worth it, exploded vagina and all.  :)

I love birth videos too lol I will watch a few and always end up cheering them on, like watching sports I suppose!
    My son LOVES birth videos too, PG ones ofcourse, but he keeps asking to watch "mommies getting the baby out" lol (We're having a home birth, so we have been preparing him for it a bit)
    Okay I've gotta ask this, last week I was having a particularly bad BH, like I had to lean over the couch and breathe through it. At the same time DD (3) started to talk to be and touch me and I thought I could throw her across the room (I did not but I could of lol)
    Are you not worried about this?? I mean labor needs massive concentration, and a toddler just seems to go against that. Thoughts?

imageimage
  • JammersC said:

Okay I've gotta ask this, last week I was having a particularly bad BH, like I had to lean over the couch and breathe through it. At the same time DD (3) started to talk to be and touch me and I thought I could throw her across the room (I did not but I could of lol)
    Are you not worried about this?? I mean labor needs massive concentration, and a toddler just seems to go against that. Thoughts?
    Oh absolutely, a demanding toddler can totally stall your labor.
    I am lucky enough to have my mother and 3 sisters near who will be caring for our son while I labor. Kids can help bring the oh so wonderful oxytocin too, so they can really help, it can go either way. (My midwife explained this all to me when I asked her about our son being present).

My son is exceptionally compassionate and aware of others feelings, so I'm not worried about him invading my labor space. If anything he will be helping my doula pour water on my back when he peeks in to see how the babys coming along:) otherwise he will be too busy playing around, if it's not in the middle of the night!
  • gfam23 said:
    I actually found a mirror helped me a lot, so I ask for one if they don't give it to me to begin with. I guess it helps me to see what's happening and to push accordingly.
    I've heard this a lot, especially for women who get epidurals. They say that seeing how their pushes look helps them to push in the right way when they get numb. As a FTM I'm planning on using a mirror for sure. 

image            image

BabyFruit Ticker
  • christsgurlchristsgurl member
    edited January 2014

JammersC said:

When I was in labor with DD2, before we my friend showed up at the hospital to watch DD1 till I was done she was in the room (this was b4 pushing ect) and she held my hand thru the intense contractions that I was having & was saying "mommy its okay", it was the sweetest thing a memory I hope I never forget & actually really helped me thru the pain, I was really bummed that I couldn't have her stay but I didn't want her to accidently see any of the birthing process.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"