Attachment Parenting
Options

BLW at 20 weeks?!?

Hi all. I decided while pregnant the BLW would be our preferred approach. DS is twenty weeks old and is showing signs of readiness. She is interested in what we are eating. She is able to sit up in our laps and can hold food and bring it to her mouth. She is even getting the hang of the pincer movement and can bring smaller objects to her mouth. Everything I've read is saying she is ready, and she even fusses when we don't let her snatch our food. But everything I be read also says that this should start at six months and it is rare for her to do so e of the things she has been doing. Should I hold out for a few more weeks, or let her start with some basics?

Re: BLW at 20 weeks?!?

• Options

She has the rest of her life to eat adult foods.  No benefit to rushing...only potentially negative outcomes.  Wait till she's 6 months...she MAY truly be ready then.

• Options
    I agree with PP that 20 months is likely too young; she should be sitting up unassisted. Your lap provides enough support to keep her from toppling...can she sit on the floor by herself?

Try letting her hold a spoon, and if you like, give her some crushed up frozen breastmilk to play with. :)

A breastmilk slushy is a great way to see if she still has the tongue thrust reflex too. Spoon feed a tiny bit and see what her tongue does. Good luck!
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It sounds like she is developing wonderful social skills at the table both in mimicking and in observing that mealtime is a powerful time of family connection. That is great! Hold off longer for actually starting the foods, though. A gut that's been exposed only to breast milk for that first 6 months helps set her up for a lifetime of healthiness. Ditto PP on offering an empty spoon.
  • Options
    Not sure how others feel about this but I've broken off chunks of frozen breast milk and put it in one of those mesh feeders. It makes a great teether and is fun for baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Too young. Its better to wait
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"