Natural Birth
Options

Med-Free Childbirth Book Recs

I have a friend who is about to have her fourth baby (in mid-March). She has had traditional births with the previous three but has told me she would like to go med-free with this birth. She has asked me for book/movie/resource recommendations. I want to give her some that will be 1) practical 2) informative and 3) not-alienating. She will not do well with it if a book tells her that by getting an epi she's poisoning her child or anythign like that (especially since she had traditional deliveries with the others, did not breastfeed, etc - there are some defensive tendencies here). I am trying to assist and support her, provide accurate, helpful information, without being alienating. I have told her that I think unmedicated delivery is very, very difficult unless you're really committed to it (at least mine was crazy hard) but I'd like to give her some ideas that could be really helpful. Unfortunately they've decided they do not have the budget for classes or a doula. I always knew I wanted to go med-free, and then we did Bradley, so I don't have a lot of ideas for her off hand. Thanks in advance.

Re: Med-Free Childbirth Book Recs

• Options
    Penny Simkin's Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn is very nonjudgemental and low-key. I'd also recommend Natural Hospital Birth.  

She might also want to look into finding a doula in training - some charge as little as $200-300 because at that point, they want to get the experience. Alternatively, would you feel comfortable being a labor support person for her? You've been through the experience at least once, so you'd at least know what to expect, and perhaps just having someone to cheer her on could be a big help. 
    imageimage
    BFP #1 08/05/12. EDD 4/15/13 m/c 08/27/12
    BFP #2 06/05/13. EDD 2/16/2014 (Team Blue). Baby Wombat born 2/20/2014 7lb. 11oz and 20 in.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" maybe?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"