March 2014 Moms
Options

Won't go past my due date!!

So I had my 34 week appt today. Everything is good and measuring on track. Cervix checks start next week... Oh joy.
But, my doctor is going on vacation March 8th and I'm due March 7th. She said we could talk about induction the week before if I haven't had him already if I want to have her deliver. Which I do!! So as long as my cervix cooperates, i won't go past my due date... What a relief!

Re: Won't go past my due date!!

• Options
    That's exciting! I'm convinced my body will not go into labour on it's own.
    BabyFruit Ticker

My Third Tri Feelings
  • Options
    My friend who just had her baby 3 weeks ago was 8 days overdue and showing no signs. So she was induced just because she was so far over. But everytime her cervix was checked she wasn't dilating or effaced. She was so miserable! I would hate for that to happen to me!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm really hoping my body does it on its own.  I'm kinda scared of being induced lol.
    imageimage

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    That's always the best way. I'd love for it to happen on its own. Everyone's bodies react to induction differently. I have people everywhere telling me "you don't want to be induced... So and so that I know had a horrible labor after being induced" yada yada yada. I just look at it as another one of those things that EVERYONE has an opinion on. No two people have the same experience.
  • Options
    I'm terrified of being induced. But then again, I'm terrified of labor period. But I think I'll handle the whole situation a lot better if I'm surprised and have less time to dwell on it.
  • Options
    I had a great induction with my first. I was a week overdue and barely dilated (a fingertip). I was soooo apprehensive to be induced, but now I'm really hoping for another (assuming my cervix is cooperative!). If you have any questions of just need a positive induction story, let me know!
  • Options
    Yay! Great to have your own dr. too. My dr. didn't get to deliver DS and as much as I liked the dr. who did, I'm really hoping for my own dr. this time. I was induced after my water broke and I had no contractions but was dilated. I didn't see induction as a big deal but maybe because I had nothing to compare it to. I guess it may be different because my water broke on its own though.
  • Options
    I was induced on my due date last time- I had GD.
    They used the gel and my labour was 100 times better than my first!
    Good luck!!
  • Options
    I don't want to go over my due date either!  I really want to have a scheduled induction at 39 weeks, but they won't make those plans until my 38 week appointment, which is alright I suppose.
  • Options
    Personally I'm stay away from medical induction (natural stimulation and activity I'm ok with) as PP says it can affect people very differently. Most of my friends who've been induced said the contraction were really intense and almost all ended up getting drugs for pain...but to each their own.

If you feel more comfortable with your OB at birth rather than waiting for natural labor and potentially not giving birth with your OB in attendance then that's what's best for you.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers   
  • Options
    My cousin just had her baby 2 weeks ago and she was induced and had zero issues! I know people always tend to share the horror stories, but not every woman who gets induced has a terrible experience.
  • Options
    While I do think that letting your body do it's thing is always good, I do think, like I said before, that it's something everyone will have an opinion on. Whether it's from personal experience or just their opinion in general, we all have to make the decision for ourselves.
    To each their own!!
  • Options

I would really let your body do what it does and don't force baby out before he or she is ready for your dr's convenience. I was induced with my first and would never do it again. My labor was fast but super painful. It's dangerous for baby and for you.

It's not for my doc. She doesn't mind either way. I want her to deliver him.
  • Options
    Just know that it puts you at a greater risk for a c section if you are induced. After going through a successful induction I still would rather go into labor on my own then run the risk of a potentially avoidable C. Especially since your doctor is likely only to be there for the very end anyway.
    Married - 5/2008
    DS #1 - Born 9/2011
    DS #2 - EDD 3/2014
  • Options

Oh good. You're going to potentially induce because your doctor is going on vacation.

Mom-fail.

This. Thank you FBW.

• Options
    MEjack1 said:

Oh good. You're going to potentially induce because your doctor is going on vacation.

Mom-fail.

This. Thank you FBW.

I was seriously surprised no one had said anything before now. I had to back away from this thread slowly...
  • Options

Just so you all don't think I'm an ass, which honestly this is the dumbest reason I have herd to induce. My midwives had 6 of them, now only have two, and hiring two before more before feb. Not only that, I've only met one of the few ob's they have.

I potentially could have 8 people I've never met in my vag when I give birth. Just because I like my ob or the two midwives I've known since DS doesn't mean I'm going to induce to because I'm comfortable with the OB or the two midwives.

Just because you are more comfortable with an ob doesn't mean your baby has a better outcome. I had met the midwife who delivered my son ONCE before going into labor.

Op, you're a reg so I'm not going to flame you as hard as I'd flame a driveby-newb but Christ, look at what you're saying. You're not inducing for a medical reason, you're inducing for convenience.

For prosperity, QFP

So I had my 34 week appt today. Everything is good and measuring on track. Cervix checks start next week... Oh joy.
    But, my doctor is going on vacation March 8th and I'm due March 7th. She said we could talk about induction the week before if I haven't had him already if I want to have her deliver. Which I do!! So as long as my cervix cooperates, i won't go past my due date... What a relief!

My friend who just had her baby 3 weeks ago was 8 days overdue and showing no signs. So she was induced just because she was so far over. But everytime her cervix was checked she wasn't dilating or effaced. She was so miserable! I would hate for that to happen to me!

While I do think that letting your body do it's thing is always good, I do think, like I said before, that it's something everyone will have an opinion on. Whether it's from personal experience or just their opinion in general, we all have to make the decision for ourselves.
    To each their own!!

Perfectly said!
    Married - 5/2008
    DS #1 - Born 9/2011
    DS #2 - EDD 3/2014
  • Options
    peachy0709peachy0709 member
    edited January 2014
    @GibsonBaby1 - Since we live in the same area, I'm curious which hospital you're delivering at. It seems the big ones have very different philosophies on induction.

ETA: DO NOT feel the need to answer me with that very public information within this thread, if at all. Not trying to get all up in yo' personal business!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    ohbabybaby3ohbabybaby3 member
    edited January 2014
    "Mom-fail"? Ok. Like I said, and yes, I will say again... To each their own. I honestly do not care if people disagree with me wanting my ob to be the deliverer of my baby. Thanks though.
  • Options

I've been waiting for a post like this- I just had a feeling it was coming!

Since it sounds like you're a FTM and it seems you like things done when it is convinenent for you, at some point, you child is going to have a blow out at a time that is not ideal.  They may get sick over a holiday causing you to change your plans. They will also want to eat when you'd rather be sleeping. etc.

If the timing of their entry into the world is something that you feel you need to unnecessarily control, then you have a long 18 years of not being in total control ahead of you...sorry to say.

• Options
    I just wanted to mention something. Just because your OB starts the induction does not mean you will deliver while she is on call. So it is very likely you will still have a different Doctor deliver.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    What a blessing that you are having a healthy, normal pregnancy.  You should definitely decide when to birth your baby based on the vacation plans of someone who will only spend a few hours (maximum) with you during this process.  I'm sure the women who have dealt with pre-term labor and deliveries wouldn't have liked this luxury. 

Oh wait...

Nevermind the fact that the average gestation of a FTM is 41 weeks, 2 days. 
  • Options
    ohbabybaby3ohbabybaby3 member
    edited January 2014
    I appreciate the comments and the general concern over what I said. I realize not really the greatest choice I could make. The fact is I haven't had much positive experience with the other ob that would deliver for me and I really want nothing to do with her.
    No final decision has been made on the topic and won't be made for a while. I could really change my mind. You never know. Its generally exciting to think you wouldn't have to be pregnant for 41+ weeks. And by no means am I trying to rub it in the face of anyone who has had early labor or other problems with their pregnancy. It was just more of an excitement for me to meet my little man.
    Sorry for those of you who feel the need to be nasty about it. I honestly don't take offense to some of the things that have been said because I know people have strong feelings as well as prego hormones. It's food for thought for me. Maybe I'm an idiot and maybe this entire convo will have been for nothing and something entirely different will go down.
    In the end, thanks for bringing things to my attention that I may have been blinded to over the excitement of the thought being with my LO sooner rather than later.

ETA: hit submit too early.
  • Options
    elliebean14elliebean14 member
    edited January 2014
    Without adding on to what PPs have said concerning elective induction - although I really hope you give it a lot of thought and consider both the pros and the cons for you and the baby -  I just want to second what @dannie2011 said. If you have strong feelings/concerns about the other OB, as you mention above, you will definitely want to find out whether your OB will still be around if your induction goes into a second day. Induction doesn't guarantee quick labor, especially if your body isn't ready, and your doctor may not be on call and around for the delivery even if you go through with induction.

ETA: I can't type.
  • Options
    BrideNamedMegBrideNamedMeg member
    edited January 2014
    I'm not a fan of elective inductions for reasons like this, but as long as you truly understand the pro's, con's and risks (and there are actual risks) associated with it then I try not to criticize.  

The only thing that worries me with this type of thing is that so often the EDD is wrong.  For myself, I tend to have wacky cycles - sometimes they're average length sometimes they're way longer.  I know exactly when I ovulated because I was charting and have an EDD of 3/23 - if I just went by my LMP my EDD would be March 14th.  That's over a week difference!  And if they're talking induction a week before that...well you may be really pushing it and the baby might not be "ready".  I would rather see a midwife or OB I wasn't familiar with than risk having my baby in the NICU.  
    imageimage 
  • Options
    It would make me very uncomfortable actually if my OB suggested an induction prior to 40 weeks for convenience rather than medical necessity.  It would cause me to question their judgment and my care.  My hospital won't induce until 41+ weeks without a medical reason.  I had to schedule my induction for my first at 41 weeks with a MW I had only met once because mine was on vacation - I didn't love this other one, but the health of my baby and potential for successful vaginal delivery was most important to me.  Your OB will be there for such a tiny part of your labor - the nurses do most of it, and at the point the OB is showing up, it won't matter who's there because you'll be that close to having the baby in your arms.  Hope you are able to take some time to do some research and think it over before making a final decision.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, so you want to control the situation AND want to meet your LO sooner.

Nothing like TWO completely selfish reasons to justify an elective induction.

Since we are bringing up hormones, I'll just throw out that maybe hormones are making you think an irresponsible choice is such a great idea.
    baby boy: 3.19.2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"