3rd Trimester
Options

Water breaks, then off to hospital?

If your water breaks naturally should you go to the hospital right then? My cousins water broke at 2 am and she didnt leave for the hospital til 8 am and was already dilated to an 8. Just wondering if it's ok to wait it out a little after your water breaks or is that dangerous?

Re: Water breaks, then off to hospital?

• Options
    You should get to the hospital right away if your water breaks.  My water broke with my first and i got to the hospital 2cm dialated, 100% effaced.  They had to start pitocin to get my contractions going/stronger.  I've heard your baby should be born within 24 hours of your water breaking or there's a bigger risk of infection.
    So happy for my BFPB Steff13914 and her new twins! Welcome to the world sweet babies:) Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    christsgurlchristsgurl member
    edited January 2014
    With DD1 when my water broke I got my labor bag together DH & I took a shower then headed to hospital (called them on the way there) so we didn't like rush out the door to L & D but we went as soon as we were ready, so ya as soon as your ready head to the hospital
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If your water breaks, call your dr and they'll tell you what to do. Mine did want me to come in right away. I'm glad I did as my labor went very quickly. However, I don't think it's necessary in all circumstances.

can't get the ticker to work, but I have two sons:

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Options
    Arriving at the hospital at an 8 sounds lovely to me.

There is some risk of infection after water breaks, much more once cervical checks are done since now you're introducing things up into your cervix. Water breaking is not in an of itself any kind of emergency unless the cord comes out with it. It's much more of an issue if your water breaks and there are no contractions for a long time because then you do risk going more than 24 hrs without having the baby. I would personally go to the hospital when contractions are close together (3-5 min apart, 1 min long) regardless of water being broken, unless it had been broken for more than like 12 hrs.
    imageimage image
    DS, May 2011
    DD, April 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It depends on what your Dr. says.
  • Options
    This varies by practice.

If the waters are dirty or stained then go immediately. If they are clear my doctor has said she preferably wants delivery within 24-48 hours to avoid infection.

I usually try to go within 4 hours but if contractions are irregular then you can hang out at home.

Note: if you are choosing an epidural then going soon after your waters break is a good idea. The pain situation usually ramps up by this time as there is no cushion of water between baby & cervix. The pressure can get intense too. So if you feel the need to go then go with it.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    When my water broke, I phoned L&D and they wanted me there right away. Baby came about 14hrs later.

BabyGaga

• Options
    Everyone is different. My water broke and I got to the hospit right away; good thing because I was 9 cm dilated and pretty much ready to push! However, (just as an example), I have a friend in my moms group whose water broke and she went about her day and didn't have the baby until like 30 hours later.

• Options
    I was told if my water breaks to head to the hospital. I don't think I'd run out the door but I wouldn't just dilly dally around.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    FYI, mine broke today and they had me go right in even though contractions had not yet started. Baby in arms 4 hrs later.

can't get the ticker to work, but I have two sons:

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Options
    My water broke with my first, and contractions didn't start for about 8 hours. The fluid was clear, so my midwife was ok with letting me stay at home until the contractions started to get intense.
    I also wanted to keep my birth as intervention-free as possible, so I was also ok with staying home as long as I could.
  • Options
    My water broke but no contractions. My doctor recommended going to the hospital ASAP. I'm glad I did since DS never dropped so they were concerned with the cord being delivered prior to the baby. So once in the hospital I was put on pitocin and was not allowed to leave the bed. 23 hours after my water broke DS was born. Oh and I was barely 1cm when I arrived at the hospital.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    A lot depends on you, your provider, and your birth preferences. Most women interested in a low intervention, pain med-free birth will opt to wait it out a bit to continue laboring at home, barring conditions previously mentioned.

We were more concerned with frequency, intensity, and duration of contractions. My plan was to head to the hospital at 5-1-1 (5 minutes apart, 1 minute long for 1 hour), but I went from 6 to 7 minutes, 1 minute duration to 3 minutes apart, 30 second duration without hitting the 5-1-1. My water broke while pushing.

Once your water breaks, don't take a bath. Shower is ok.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    When mine broke, I called my OB (left a message), then called L&D. They told me to come in after 6 hours if my labour was not progressing. But oh did it progress. Don't listen to all of the 5-1-1 theory. My contractions never lasted a full minute, but were 2-3 minutes apart by the time we left for the hospital. And I kept thinking "well they need to last a full minute so I need to wait longer". Less than 5 hours after it broke, I was at 8 cms and baby was breech. I would just say call in if it breaks first and see what they want you to do. It really helped me to not jump the gun... Even though.... That was what I should have done :p
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I called L&D when mine broke....I had no contractions but a ton of blood and clots. They told me to go in.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"