August 2012 Moms
Options

OVER IT!!!

Can someone please tell me WHY I put myself through this day after day? 
DS NEVER eats veggies or meat…like ever! I cook so much good food for him and 90% of it ends up on the floor. 
I try to be clever and disguise his food with cheese, flavored yogurt, you name it I've tried it. I've gone back to purees in those squeeze packets. 
This is ridiculous…and yes, I am over it! Blah!

Re: OVER IT!!!

• Options
    Aw man, I'm sorry that sounds so frustrating.  Have you tried smoothies?  DS loves smoothies and it is easy to sneak in veggies without him noticing!  DS' favorite is a mixed berry smoothie that we throw a ton of kale into. 
    Meats are hard.  DS is a good eater overall but cannot handle the texture of most meats.  
    Don't beat yourself up if you use purees...keep your sanity and do what you have to do!  It will come with time.
  • Options
    My DS is the same way. The only veggies he eats are peas and corn. He used to love chicken and meatballs but now won't even try it! What is sort of working for us is we cook meat (chicken or ground venison) and cut it up really small and put it in a baked pasta. Since he loves pasta and devours it he doesn't even realize there is meat in there unless it is a big chunk! 
    @Katiejo1216 I will have to try the smoothie idea! Do you have any go to smoothie recipes? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS has been having throw-everything-on-the-floor days, too. Try to start with the veggies and meat so they don't get filled up on milk or carbs. I also read that toddlers are picky because back in our hunting and gathering days, once babies were old enough to being wandering farther away from mom, they needed to be cautious about what they ate in case it was poisonous. So there is a reason why they are picky! I also love the jim gaffigan line about how we could solve world hunger if we just picked up all the food that toddlers threw on the floor. ;)
  • Options
    I try really hard not to get upset or worry too much over meals. I know he eats well at daycare. I sneak veggies in his eggs (spinach or kale) or cheese/spinach quesadillas and when it warms up I'll try smoothies again. He eats a lot of fruit so I figure that makes up for some of the lack of veggies.

I do find meal times to be super challenging and the best part of DH picking Nolan up from DC once/week is that I don't have to worry about dinner that night. LOL

Try not to stress about it.
  • Options
    Love the smoothie idea. I just tried it and after a couple sips DS was done. :-( But I will keep trying, maybe add more fruit so it's sweet to taste. 
  • Options
    @rjacques A favorite is a variation of this:

Smoothies take some trial and error.  We use full fat yogurt and sometimes add whole milk (which is great especially if your kiddo is a picky milk drinker).  Honey can help in getting the sweetness right.  Peanut butter and banana smoothies are also good. Pinterest has a lot of ideas!

@SBmomma, does your DS like breads?  These are two recipes you could use for breakfasts or snacks that pack veggies into sweeter breads:

I am a home childcare provider so I am always looking for recipes for picky eaters and these two are good options.  These aren't great every day meal ideas but they may give some peace of mind (and those are delicious for you to eat as well!).  I'm sure you have heard it before but just keep offering.  It is amazing how children's eating can change overnight.  
  • Options
    I could have written this. I totally know how you feel. It sucks.

We do green smoothies. And that's about it. She could live off fruit, yogurt, & graham sticks. 
  • Options
    The smoothie idea is a hit. All I have to do is pretend that I'm drinking some and DS suddenly wants it! YES!!!! 

And thank you Katiejo1216! I'm going to try making muffins this weekend. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"