Two Under 2

4 under 3.... !!!! Weaning LO's 2/3 from Bottle

theoventheoven member
edited January 2014 in Two Under 2
Just got a positive for baby #4! Kids are currently 28 months and twin 7 month olds and we are 5 weeks preggo! We will have baby #4 just three weeks after our oldest turns three. To all the non-pregnant moms, please have a (many) drinks for me! But as a question - I'd like to end the nighttime bottle before LO4 arrives, which would mean the twins would have to be weaned by 15 months. Anyone do it that early?

Re: 4 under 3.... !!!! Weaning LO's 2/3 from Bottle

• Congratulations mama! Yes, I have always weaned from the bottle right at a year and transitioned to cow's milk in a sippy. I plan on weaning my baby ftom a bottle at a year again, right before his sister is born (he will be 13 months). My oldest took a sippy of milk as a comfort measure at bedtime until almost two, but my second did not. With this one, I plan on doing whatever is easiest, since having babies so close in age is challenging enough. :) Good luck and congratulations again!
    BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DD was off the bottle by a year, but when DS came she wanted a bottle every time he had one so we had to rewean around 2 1/2
  • Loading the player...
  • My dd was weaned from BFing and bottles by 14months without too much difficulty. My DS weaned from BFing at 13months but took bottles until 20months and put up a fight. I think it can be difficult at any age so might as well do it sooner than later. But at the same time it's not the end of the world if they hold onto the bottle a bit longer. As a mom of 4u3 (god bless you) I think you need to do what is easiest for you and works best for your family. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS 2 was born 3 days before DS1 was a year and we had already weaned him. We weaned around 11 months, it was really easy for us because he wasn't really interested in the bottle anymore.. Spent more time playing with it than anything. Took 3 days of giving him a sippy cup with milk before he actually drank it, but once he did we never went back.
    Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

My blog about raising 2U2!
  • Also.. DS1 didn't care when Ds2 came and had a bottle (he actually took a sip like the first week or 2 and spit it out,, whole milk is much better tasting than formula!!) but our battle has been the pacifier. DS1 stopped taking a paci at 4 months, but when DS2 came, now he's a paci thief.. Always has it in his mouth.. ! Ped said that's completely normal, though! Reading PP response made me think of that :-). Congrats to you!!
    Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

My blog about raising 2U2!
  • I took everyone's bottles away at a year.  None of them were happy about it, but they all eventually started drinking milk.  DD#2 was the worst - she went almost 3 weeks just drinking enough to survive (3-4 ounces a day of anything wet - water, milk, or juice).  Finally tried a nuby sippy cup and she has now decided that she will drink 2 cups of milk a day out of those, and she usually downs a cup of water right before bed.  
    Good luck with your 4!  I will have a glass of wine for you tonight ;)
    TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Both my daughters were off the bottle/formula at 1 year exactly. Didn't wean them at all- pediatrician recommended I do it cold turkey and give them a sippy of whole milk all day- did that with both kids and never had any issues (slept better actually that 1st night cus milk fills them up more). Didn't have to deal with the "weaning process" which was great!!
  • Yup our second was weaned around 13 months (pretty much straight from breastfeeding to sippy) and third at 12 months (we had weaned from breastfeeding earlier) with no problems at all.  Good luck!
    imageLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"