1st Trimester

Anyone else against the flu shot?

I've never had the flu shot and will never get one. Same goes for DS. I'm a TERRIBLE mother!!! haha I'm a teacher and I'm sure I'm exposed to every stand of flu that is out there. The flu shot only "protects" you from certain strands when there are TONS out there. I believe in washing hands and doing things to reduce the spread of germs. I know some will flame, but I will never change my mind on this one. I'm ok with being a terrible mother and being sooooooooo at risk. haha! There has to be others out there that are against the flu shot. I speak to people daily that do not believe in them. 

Re: Anyone else against the flu shot?

• Loading the player...
  • Not trying to sound cool at all. I just don't believe in them and will not inject my child with a dead virus. Everyone is entitled to do what they want. This is my own choice and don't feel bad about it. Just wondering if there are other people on Tri 1 that feel the same. So sensitive around here. 
  • Not trying to sound cool at all. I just don't believe in them and will not inject my child with a dead virus. Everyone is entitled to do what they want. This is my own choice and don't feel bad about it. Just wondering if there are other people on Tri 1 that feel the same. So sensitive around here. 
    No one is being sensitive. If you lurked a bit, you would know this is a hot topic (any vaccine, and especially anti-vaccine post). This is dealing with our own health and the health of others. Especially since there have been many posts recently about deaths of pregnant women, infants, and children THIS flu season from the flu and its complications.
    I've been lurking on Tri 1 since I was pregnant with DS and he is 3.5. I saw the other posts and that is exactly why I asked if anyone on here didn't believe in the shot since I already read who is so for it. Again, I wanted to hear from others who did not and will not get the shot. 
  • There is no injectable flu vaccine that doesn't have thimerosol, the organic mercury compound that is used as a preservative (there are other childhood vaccinations that have only trace amounts of it).  No single strain of influenza has been determined vitally necessary to the recommended childrens' vaccination schedule; therefore, not getting the flu vaccine does NOT increase the likelihood of an epidemic - influenza diseases are considered relatively benign and surmountable by the average immune system.  There have been scientific, double-blind, peer-reviewed studies of what causes chronic fatigue syndrome, multiple sclerosis, autism, schizophrenia, and many other diseases - but current medical science still does not know the cause of those diseases.  Medical science DOES know that mercury is bad for you.  I'm gonna go ahead and err on the side of common sense: if someone who's not an expert tells me that a poison is okay to eat, I'm just going to skip the poison anyway.

• OP: We just lost two pregnant women here in Wisconsin who did not have the flu shot. I hope you don't get the flu.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'll make sure to pass your sentiments on to the family of the pregnant woman that is being removed from life support today. Her baby died after her 106 fever. She also suffered brain damage. I'm part of her church mothers' group. Get the fucking shot & don't be a moron.

Don't forget to relay OP's ever so obnoxious and mocking "haha!"

That poor family. How terribly sad.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I said "haha" to my terrible mother comment. Wow 1st Tri never changes... Uptight. Again, I was asking if anyone else is against the shot. 
  • LollyLawlzLollyLawlz member
    edited January 2014
    And thank you for reminding me why I have always had you in the stupid as fuck column. You did a good job parading around TTGP as a semi-sane person.

You thought she did a good job?  I've had her on my post it since her intro.

ETA:  Added a word or two
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I haven't gotten it but I'm not against. In fact I called my doctors office to see if they wanted me to get it yesterday because they haven't talked to me about it. They told me they would give it to me at my next appointment but that's not for 4 weeks, so I'm going to call back and see if I can just go it myself . They didn't come out with the flu shot to hurt you. It's to protect you from something that can be life threatening.

It's a BOY

• MrsDeo said:
    Shima42 said:
    There is no injectable flu vaccine that doesn't have thimerosol, the organic mercury compound that is used as a preservative (there are other childhood vaccinations that have only trace amounts of it).  No single strain of influenza has been determined vitally necessary to the recommended childrens' vaccination schedule; therefore, not getting the flu vaccine does NOT increase the likelihood of an epidemic - influenza diseases are considered relatively benign and surmountable by the average immune system.  There have been scientific, double-blind, peer-reviewed studies of what causes chronic fatigue syndrome, multiple sclerosis, autism, schizophrenia, and many other diseases - but current medical science still does not know the cause of those diseases.  Medical science DOES know that mercury is bad for you.  I'm gonna go ahead and err on the side of common sense: if someone who's not an expert tells me that a poison is okay to eat, I'm just going to skip the poison anyway.
    Um. Yes. Yes, there is. I got it from Rite Aid when I was pregnant with DS. Not all pharmacies have it, but a lot of them do. You just have to ask for it. So this entire argument just went out the window.

And in case you don't believe me, here's the CDC's page that says there's a thimerosal free injectable vaccine for 2013-2014: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/thimerosal.htm

"The single-dose units are made without thimerosal as a preservative because they are intended to be opened and used only once. Additionally, the live-attenuated version of the vaccine (the nasal spray vaccine), is produced in single-dose units and does not contain thimerosal."

And here's the FDA's website that lists the thimerosal content in vaccines, and lists a version of Fluzone with no thimerosal that has been available since 2004. https://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/VaccineSafety/UCM096228#t1

Me too!

Also, thimerosol isn't mercury. It does contain ethyl mercury, which is different than methyl mercury - methylmercury is what builds up in large fish, for example, and like the mercury you think of in old-fashioned thermometers, it's toxic. Ethyl mercury metabolizes and passes out of your body relatively quickly; methylmercury can accumulate and cause health problems, and you could call it a poison if you want to, I guess. Science doesn't have any issues with ethyl mercury, so saying that "science knows mercury is bad for you" is shooting way off target here.

"Is thiomersal the same as methyl mercury?

No, there are several forms of mercury occurring in the environment, however by far the most common organic mercury compound is methyl mercury. The main hazard for methyl mercury is its ability to accumulate in the body and to remain there for a long time. The exposure to this naturally-occurring compound and its toxic effects on humans have been well studied. As most humans are exposed to mercury in some form, WHO and some national regulatory authorities defined safe levels for exposure to mercury and the values reflect exposure mainly to methyl mercury. Thiomersal contains a different form of mercury i.e. ethyl mercury which does not accumulate and is metabolized and removed from the body much faster than is methyl mercury."

ETA: Clarifying

I stand corrected about whether or not there are flu vaccines without mercury - and happy to be so.  I will still refuse to give myself or my children known poisons like mercury when they are present in fish, vaccines, or anything else.  I think that, sometimes, those on both sides of this argument forget that there is a middle ground.  There are reasonable people who will get all the vaccines they can without taking poison.  I'm one of them.  It's wise to be kind to those on either side of the argument by pointing out common ground and keeping an open mind.  It really is okay if someone wants to avoid mercury; it is not stupidity, it is caution.  As I point out whenever I have this conversation, almost all childhood vaccines now have a mercury-free version.  That's where we can meet, and where the smart folks at the WHO and CDC have decided they have to go in order to keep the public vaccinated!  I think that jumping to conclusions about someone being a 'crazy anti-vaxxer' is counterproductive.  You don't win someone over by being combative.  Peace and conciliation come from calm, kind conversation.  If you're worried about something as serious as an epidemic, it's best to adopt strategies that actually work.

• Sure, Mizoo.  I am concerned about the things that you mentioned.  However, I try to stay away from industrial areas where there may be higher concentrations of toxins in the air, I purify my drinking water as much as I can, and I avoid eating the pits and seeds of fruits (where the cyanide is).  As with all things in life, I try to keep a level head and do my best to avoid poisoning myself while not going overboard.  After all, there's no point in drinking the poison just because you're swimming in it!

• Huh. I just chomp right through the pits and seeds of fruits because pits and seeds TASTE SO GOOD. Cyanide be damned. You have some willpower, @shima42
    LOL not really.  I don't care for them ;-D  Especially raspberry seeds!

• I don't get it. Why post this? You say you're wondering if other people are against it too, but why does that matter? You've made your decision and say you won't change your mind, so it shouldn't matter whether others agree with you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"