Caribbean Babies

OBGYN or CNM?

ADH0906ADH0906 member
edited January 2014 in Caribbean Babies

Alright ladies, ob/gyn or CNM?  I don't have a primary gynecologist because we haven't lived here long.  I pretty much need to stay within the Aurora healthcare system, and they have a hospital in my town (15 minutes away) or in City A (20 minutes away).  I saw an Aurora ob/gyn last year for my annual and hated her, so I went to City A for a follow up consultation with another doctor.  It turned into a pre-conception appointment, and she said they always do a T/V ultrasound at 6 weeks, bloodwork first appointment, and that she'd consider me high risk for GD (dad's side are all obese and have type 2) even though I'm healthy BMI, no history, fairly fit, etc. So she'd do a GD at 9 weeks. She also made some offhand jokes about pitocin after I asked her what her CS rate was, and it kind of rubbed me the wrong way.  The appeal of her is that her main clinic is in my town, but she'd deliver at the hospital in City A... which has a laboring tub, etc. and is my first choice.

City A's hospital also has a midwife, and I just called to see what their prenatal schedule was, and they do a first appt at 10 weeks, no bloodwork until 15-20 weeks for the quad screen, no ultrasounds until 24 weeks.  I like the idea of a CNM, even though I don't necessary want an unmedicated delivery.  I guess I just didn't realize the appointment/test schedule would be so different.

So, how the fuck did you guys chose?  I'm scared the ob/gyn is pushing for unnecessary tests, but I kind of like the reassurance of more frequent visits.  Pros/cons of either route that you've experienced so far?  I hereby rely on the bump to make any and all pregnancy decisions for me.

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: OBGYN or CNM?

• I have a CNM and had one for each of my DDs. My dds midwives were attached to an OB office so I also saw the Obs just preferred the CNM and then happened to get them with delivery. This time I have a CNM at an independent birth center. They'll still do blood work etc at my first visit at 8 weeks and my first ultrasound has to be before 14 weeks. They do everything similar to an OB office its just all offered not pushed. So they give you the choice, you decide! I think it depends on where you go each OB or CNM can have different practices. 
    imageimage
    Emery January 1, 2010
    Alayna December 15, 2011
    Angel baby #1 December 1, 2013 4wks 2 days
    Angel baby #2 February 2, 2014 8 wks
    TTC on Hold
  • @Elbug  I'm glad to hear I'm not crazy about the GD stuff.  There was a question about it in first tri, and it seemed like several people had the test early.  The CNM is in another Aurora office with an ob/gyn, and honestly the one who made the pitocin joke is just as likely to deliver my baby as the CNM...they all practice at the same hospital.  It feels like a big decision, but I can always change if I don't like the ob/gyn at the 6 weeks appointment and I'm probably overthinking this. Thanks for the info!

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Midwives are pretty much not allowed where I live :( There are some, but provincial laws make it just too hard for them to practice. I think doulas are becoming more prominent instead. I don't have any input on your decision, but good luck with it!
  • ADH0906ADH0906 member
    edited January 2014

Thanks for the input ladies!  I just needed someone to talk me down a bit :)  The CNM's nurse just called me to make sure the receptionist covered everything and that I didn't have any more questions, and she had much more information than the first woman I talked to.  I feel really good about this option. 

@stufie That makes me really sad.  A friend of a friend is a doula and does homebirths, and while that's a little too crunchy for me, the support that she provides for women sounds out of this world.  I'm still considering a doula, but it sounds like this CNM is really labor-support focused.  Will you use a doula?

ETA: words

BabyFruit Ticker

• stufie said:

Midwives are pretty much not allowed where I live :( There are some, but provincial laws make it just too hard for them to practice. I think doulas are becoming more prominent instead. I don't have any input on your decision, but good luck with it!

A doula is not medically trained, or to be more exact does not have to be. They are only there for the mother to be her voice when maybe the doctors aren't listening and to provide comfort. A CNM is a medically trained midwife meaning she was an RN and went back to the school of midwifery. A CPN is a professional midwife and is also not medically trained. A doula should never deliver anyone unless it's like you're on the way to the hospital and you had the baby in the car. That is not their job!

I'm not saying you didn't know this but the lack of education on these forums about midwives is frustrating.
    imageimage
    Emery January 1, 2010
    Alayna December 15, 2011
    TTC on Hold
  • @Vanellope I took her comment to mean that doulas (used in conjunction with ob/gyns) are being chosen by women that would have preferred a midwife delivery but who aren't offered that choice?

I've been researching my CNM, and she's a PhD/ass-kicking/teaching midwife. I think I might have totally lucked out.

BabyFruit Ticker

• ADH0906 said:

@Vanellope I took her comment to mean that doulas (used in conjunction with ob/gyns) are being chosen by women that would have preferred a midwife delivery but who aren't offered that choice?

I've been researching my CNM, and she's a PhD/ass-kicking/teaching midwife. I think I might have totally lucked out.

Oh def she could've. I wasn't trying to attack her. That makes more sense after I read it again.
    imageimage
    Emery January 1, 2010
    Alayna December 15, 2011
    TTC on Hold
  • ADH0906 said:

@Vanellope I took her comment to mean that doulas (used in conjunction with ob/gyns) are being chosen by women that would have preferred a midwife delivery but who aren't offered that choice?

That is exactly what I meant. I know doulas aren't the same and don't have the same training and I would never expect one to deliver my baby. Thanks @ADH0906 for clearing that up :)
    ADH0906 said:

@stufie That makes me really sad.  A friend of a friend is a doula and does homebirths, and while that's a little too crunchy for me, the support that she provides for women sounds out of this world.  I'm still considering a doula, but it sounds like this CNM is really labor-support focused.  Will you use a doula?

ETA: words

It makes me sad too! I would love to do a water birth at home but sadly home births are also not allowed here, from what I've been told. I'm considering a doula, but I have a friend who just completed her training so if I use one, I feel that I would have to use her for sure. I'm going to talk to her to see if she would be interested and what she would charge, but my due date is right around when her daughter turns 1 (and she lives 3 hours away) which might make it challenging for her to get to me if the timing isn't right.
  • Sorry @stufie :)
    imageimage
    Emery January 1, 2010
    Alayna December 15, 2011
    TTC on Hold
  • No worries at all @Vanellope! Nothing wrong with setting the record straight for those who might be reading and didn't know the difference:)
  • I am primarily seeing an OBGYN but her practice also has a CNM.  The person that delivers is whoever is on call, so the CNM could be the winner if it happens that way.  I believe that once I have my initial pregnancy intake with my OB, I rotate appointments with the other 2 OBs and CNM so I get to know them all.

BFP #1 : 3/20/13 | EDD: 12/1/13 | MC: 4/15/13 

BFP #2: 1/9/14 | EDD: 9/21/14  

Welcomed our rainbow bear on 8/31/14

My Chart | All are Welcome

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"