March 2013 Moms

Disposable Diaper Moms - do you notice they dry out your skin?

We have been using Pampers Swaddlers since DS was born.  I've noticed the skin around my fingers is always cracked or dry.  I thought maybe it was due to something else, but now I am wondering if it might be the Pampers.  I've tried Huggies and I don't like them too much because the flaps always fold back in on me.  I had some Honest Company diapers which I used and noticed my fingers weren't as cracked as usual.  The problem is Honest Co. diapers are just too expensive to justify.  Anybody else have an issue with dry skin from disposables?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

;

Re: Disposable Diaper Moms - do you notice they dry out your skin?

• We used cloth at first and now DH refuses so we use Huggies and Target diapers. My hands are really dry but I figured it was from washing them after all those diaper changes and now from winter dryness. It could be the disposables though, sad but I can't even remember what my skin was like in the beginning when we used cloth. If only DH would cooperate I could go back to cloth and do a little experiment...

• Perhaps it's the wipes more so than the diapers? Lots of wipes use alcohol or something similar. My pedi said even the alcohol-free ones can still have  chemicals that irritate diaper rash when we discussed it at our last appointment.

I have eczema on my fingertips, so I never thought twice about my fingers drying out, but now I am wondering if there is a relation between the two, because it has been noticeably worse these past months...
    DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • lars1226 said:

We used cloth at first and now DH refuses so we use Huggies and Target diapers. My hands are really dry but I figured it was from washing them after all those diaper changes and now from winter dryness. It could be the disposables though, sad but I can't even remember what my skin was like in the beginning when we used cloth. If only DH would cooperate I could go back to cloth and do a little experiment...

Why no cloth? :-(

We use cloth, and my hands are terribly dry, cracked, and bleeding, even with tons of lotion. We use cloth wipes too. I chalked it up to hand washing, winter, and maybe being pregnant (I remember all my skin being dry during the first pregnancy). But it's mostly my knuckles, tops of my fingers... Not my fingertips so much.
  • We use cloth mainly and my fingertips are super dry too. I'm 99% convinced it has to do with dry air, frequent washing and plain ole winter.

As far as disposables making my fingers dry... I didn't notice that the first six months (we mainly used Pampers). Maybe it's the wipes as PP mentioned?
  • @NVandGZ Our DC lady won't do cloth and DH put LO in a disposable every single time he changed him because it was "too hard" to figure out the cloth. Even though they were pre loaded in the diaper drawer and I was doing all the laundry and we took a class on cloth diapering. So I had a load of maybe 3 cloth diapers every few days. I'm still pissed at DH about this. It's just not worth my time to have the extra laundry for so few diapers.
  • lars1226 said:
    @NVandGZ Our DC lady won't do cloth and DH put LO in a disposable every single time he changed him because it was "too hard" to figure out the cloth. Even though they were pre loaded in the diaper drawer and I was doing all the laundry and we took a class on cloth diapering. So I had a load of maybe 3 cloth diapers every few days. I'm still pissed at DH about this. It's just not worth my time to have the extra laundry for so few diapers.

Seriously....? Too hard? Lame. Tell he's wasting money with an unused stash, and buying disposables. I'd be kinda mad too.
  • NVandGZ said:
    lars1226 said:
    @NVandGZ Our DC lady won't do cloth and DH put LO in a disposable every single time he changed him because it was "too hard" to figure out the cloth. Even though they were pre loaded in the diaper drawer and I was doing all the laundry and we took a class on cloth diapering. So I had a load of maybe 3 cloth diapers every few days. I'm still pissed at DH about this. It's just not worth my time to have the extra laundry for so few diapers.

Seriously....? Too hard? Lame. Tell he's wasting money with an unused stash, and buying disposables. I'd be kinda mad too.
    You're right, it's super lame! I'm feeling inspired to try again next week while he's out of town. And then maybe I'll hide the disposables we have for DC when he comes home...
  • Perhaps it's the wipes more so than the diapers? Lots of wipes use alcohol or something similar. My pedi said even the alcohol-free ones can still have  chemicals that irritate diaper rash when we discussed it at our last appointment.

I have eczema on my fingertips, so I never thought twice about my fingers drying out, but now I am wondering if there is a relation between the two, because it has been noticeably worse these past months...

I am horribly allergic to baby wipes. I have had red flaky painful eczema almost consistently since march. There's a couple brands that don't bother me as much. If you look up "toxic baby wipes" it'll tell you all about it. It was just on the news the other day. I don't have the time to make my own baby wipes right now but id seriously consider it if I did.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"