Babies on the Brain

Just went off the pill

My husband & I are recently married. I used to have spot on 28 or 29 day cycles but a few months before we got married I started getting very irregular. We TTC for a few months. My doctor thought it would help my periods become more regular if I took BCP before TTC. Well now she (& me haha) thinks it's time to go off the pill. This is my first month without it. I got AF Nov. 20th. My question is how long after stopping the pill did y'all get a BFP? I've heard some say it could take months but others get pregnant the first cycle. I was just wanting to hear what everyone's stories are. It would help me feel better. Thanks

Re: Just went off the pill

• Everyone's different. I'm on cycle 3 after being on BCP for 4 years. Are you charting your BBT so you know for sure you're ovulating? I thought it sounded like overkill when I first joined the boards but now I'm SO glad I'm doing it. There's a great "Newbie" blog on the Trying to Get Pregnant board that is really recommend reading through. Welcome!
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Twinkie0612Twinkie0612 member
    edited November 2013

My story is not going to make you feel better.  I have been off the pill (and TTC) for 2 years and 3 months.  Obviously this is not the norm. 

It can take a healthy couple under 35 up to a year to conceive, so there is no need to worry before that.  Also how long it took other women to get pregnant has no impact on how long it will take you.  If you want to learn about your cycle and possibly improve your ability to time intercourse around ovulation.  Look into charting your BBT.  Charting your BBT along with CM and OPKs can help you understand your cycle and can confirm if/when you are ovulating.

Good Luck.

ETA: Technically it tooke me 2 years and 2 months to get a BFP.  I got a BFP with IVF #2, but it ended up being a chemical pregnancy.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Loading the player...
  • Got pregnant on cycle 2. With that being said I did start charting right away after stopping bc and also checked cm. I tried OPKs but they just confused me since I wasn't "regular" yet. I liked charting because I had proof my body was doing what it was supposed to. I also figured that if my body didn't jump start itself I'd have that documented for my doc.
  • Everybody's different, though I wish you the best! How exciting! I'm jealous!

FWIW, we went off the pill on June 20. June 27th was the first day of my last period. And in early September we found out we were expecting not one, but TWO!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • It just depends when you ovulate. You need to ovulate to get pregnant.

I am not ttc but charting. I took my last BCP back in October and my first cycle was exactly as they were 5 years before going on the pill. Ovulated on Day 18, 30 day cycle. On track to do the same this cycle. 

There is really no way to know. Just don't stress about it and have fun trying! Way easier said than done, I'm sure!
  • i also just got off the pill. i was supposed to start my period last week but i'm still waiting. i really really don't think it's possible that i'm pregnant (as we haven't been really TRYING yet). i do think my body is taking time to recover from being on the pill and i have yet to begin my first period pill free.

any one else experience a delay in their first period?  i have never had a late period, always been regular, so it has been causing me some anxiety!

• furmur12 said:
    i also just got off the pill. i was supposed to start my period last week but i'm still waiting. i really really don't think it's possible that i'm pregnant (as we haven't been really TRYING yet). i do think my body is taking time to recover from being on the pill and i have yet to begin my first period pill free.

any one else experience a delay in their first period?  i have never had a late period, always been regular, so it has been causing me some anxiety!

Agree with @Nicb13, it's extremely common for your cycle to be irregular when coming off BCP. You're period was regular because you were on the pill. For many people things take awhile before regulating. Also you're new normal may not be nice 28 day cycles. If you're not temping/charting then you have no idea when you're "supposed" to get your period. Unfortunately your uterus couldnt care less if the calendar says you're due for your period.
    imageimageimage
    BFP 6/15/14   EDD: 2/24/15

BabyFetus Ticker
  • thanks for your help. i think communicating with others that have had similar experiences or that are currently going through the same things is helpful. i have been reading here and there online, so hearing from you guys is helpful.  i'm so new to all of this!

• Same. I just got off the pill and have been on it since age 13. I don't have any idea what my cycle will be like. But I am sure it will take 2-3 months for my body to "get back to normal". I'm almost afraid it will forget what to do lol... my doctor doesn't seem to think me being on the pill so long will cause any problems though. 
  • Not everyone has a problem with irregular cycles after coming off the pill.  My cycle was regular as soon as I stopped taking the pill.  Also regular cycles will not mean that you will get pregnant quickly (I have regular 26-30 day cycles and am still dealing with IF issues).

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Not everyone has a problem with irregular cycles after coming off the pill.  My cycle was regular as soon as I stopped taking the pill.  Also regular cycles will not mean that you will get pregnant quickly (I have regular 26-30 day cycles and am still dealing with IF issues).

This.  My cycles went back to normal immediately after going off the pill both times.  Others have trouble getting normal cycles back.  It's important to remember there is no "normal"
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just to chime in, I know everyone is different, and I actually had to have  AF jump-started when I went off the pill, because after four months it hadn't shown up and my doctor decided that was a problem. I was very lucky to get pregnant immediately after. I guess the point is (and I didn't know this when I was freaking out about not having my period return) that it's normal for it not to return right away, and if your doctor is worried, he or she will do something about it. In the mean time, try not to worry too much about being pregnant, because I took a million tests and drove myself crazy while my body was just trying to regulate after almost 15 years on BC. Hope that helps!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Alright, I'm a newbie.... What in the world do all the acronyms mean?! The only ones I can figure out are TTC and BCP. Help!
  • Alright, I'm a newbie.... What in the world do all the acronyms mean?! The only ones I can figure out are TTC and BCP. Help!
    https://tbttgp.wordpress.com/tb-glossary/
  • I am on my second cycle after BC and I've been a week late with both cycles. Not sure when/if I will find my new "normal".
    "Late" as in later than the typical 28 day cycle? Your normal cycle may just be longer. 
  • I stopped in June 2012, but we weren't BDing enough to get pregnant. Once we starting timing BDing (or rather, BDing every other day) we were PG first cycle. Unfortunately, we had a m/c two weeks ago so will need to try again.
  • I stopped in June 2012, but we weren't BDing enough to get pregnant. Once we starting timing BDing (or rather, BDing every other day) we were PG first cycle. Unfortunately, we had a m/c two weeks ago so will need to try again.
    Hugs.

Dx: Vasa Previa w/DS1
    **Tinymin born 8/14 @35w1d**
    "Annnnnnd you win the award for best SN evar." -LindsRockies

imageimage
  • Thanks for all the advice & personal stories. I helps a lot to here personal stories from women going through the same thing. After I stopped taking BC I got AF. I've started a OPK and yesterday I got a postive....but today there is nothing. Just the control line. So confused. Hopefully I'm still ovulating.
  • NikkiD91NikkiD91 member
    edited December 2013
    I also just went off the pill the end of September.  My cycle was ALWAYS 28 days when on it.  The month after going off BC my cycle was 30 days.  Now I am on day 39 and have still not gotten my period!! It's so frustrating to me but it's normal after coming off the pill. 

• I went off the pill in September.  All my cycles since have only been 23 days. I also have had huge hormonal changes.  One day my BB's are tender, the next day they are not.  One day I will cry for no reason, the next day I'm fine.  I feel like a crazy person.  My OBGYN said this is normal.  Third month trying to conceive and still BFNs.  I didn't realize it would be so frustrating.  I have several friends who got PG right away.  It is so frustrating but trying to stay positive. Best of luck to everyone!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Same. Got off BC end of September and can't tell how long my cycles are. I'm so used to my near 28 day cycles while on BC, I was panicked when I went 30 days furst time off then 26 days the second.... Learning how to temp now
  • I'm going to start temping if we don't get a BFP this cycle.
  • With DD1, it took 3 months off the pill (but the first month that I used an OPK and found out I was ovulating very late in my cycle, and my cycle ranges 37-45 days long-I was not temping at all).  With DD2, I got off the pill for 2 months, then used OPK the first month of 'trying' and BFP.  This is my 3rd try and my first month off the pill...we'll see.  Best of luck to you.  

photo b56c04be-4eeb-442e-afb5-397708ea1118.jpg

• Bree59 said:
    Thanks for all the advice & personal stories. I helps a lot to here personal stories from women going through the same thing. After I stopped taking BC I got AF. I've started a OPK and yesterday I got a postive....but today there is nothing. Just the control line. So confused. Hopefully I'm still ovulating.
    You likely had your LH surge and then you won't continue to get positive OPKs.  Your LH can last a few hours or a couple of days followed by ovulation usually withing 24-48 hours.  After the surge you should only see the control line.  You don't experience the LH surge AS the egg is being released, it's before it's released and then it's gone.  Hope that helps.

photo b56c04be-4eeb-442e-afb5-397708ea1118.jpg

• Thanks, that does help explain things.
  • I am still TTC with no luck 7 months after stopping nuvaring. My cycles are very irregular though. Hoping it'll happen soon.
    TTC since 5/13
    BFP 1/23 
    MMC 3/4
    D&C-3/12 
    Currently NTNP
  • I was on the pill for 10 years. When I stopped the pill, my cycle regulated very quickly to between 28-30 days. Five months into TTC now, not pregnant yet.

Married and started TTC in July 2013

"Diagnosed" with unexplained infertility
    Oct 2014 IUI #1: 100mg clomid/HCG trigger/2 mature follicles/18mil post wash sperm count: BFP!!!

• Side note, but @jordynleighx3... Your girls are adorable!
    TTC since 5/13
    BFP 1/23 
    MMC 3/4
    D&C-3/12 
    Currently NTNP
  • @esjones2 - why did you flag my post?!
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
  • So just an update...I'm currently on the TWW which is killing me. I bought a couple of the clear blue plus 5 days sooner tests. I'll probably take one Sunday or Monday since Sunday makes 4 days before AF. Hopefully this is our month. H thinks it definitely happened and I hope he's right. My mom and MIL will be ecstatic because this is the first GC for both of them. I haven't told any of the family we are TTC. We want it to be a surprise. So still praying that we get one.
  • roxyu said:
    With DD1, it took 3 months off the pill (but the first month that I used an OPK and found out I was ovulating very late in my cycle, and my cycle ranges 37-45 days long-I was not temping at all).  With DD2, I got off the pill for 2 months, then used OPK the first month of 'trying' and BFP.  This is my 3rd try and my first month off the pill...we'll see.  Best of luck to you.  
    Thank you. So when can you test or have you tested?
  • Of course everyone is different.  I was on the pill for over 12 years.  I went off of it in October, didn't really TTC in November bc DS was out of town during the time we should have DTD, and then got pregnant in December.  I was lucky.  Everyone is different.  It probably won't happen for me that soon the second time around (I'm not TTC yet bc I'm still AF-free thanks to breastfeeding).

• 5 years to the 1st bfp, 6 to a take home baby.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • I took a clearblue plus test on Friday and got a very faint positive line after 3 min but of course I didn't put much trust in it. I thought it could be evap lines. Also I heard the blue dye tests are bad for evap lines. So I waited until this morning and took a rexall brand for early testing. This time it was a light positive line but not as dark as the control but you can definitely see it. Still not convinced enough to get excited. So H says I should take one of the new choice dollar tree test and after 3 minutes there was definitely two pink lines. I attached a photo of the pink line test.
  • Yup I see two lines! Congrats!
  • Congratulations !
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
  • @dogperson11 - Complete accident! Didn't realize I did it, sorry!!! Can I unflag it?
  • One and done. We were floored (happily!). First appt tomorrow :-)
    I hear 6-12 months is completely normal though!

Stoked <3

Anniversary

Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was on the pill for 4 years. We got married in November and I never started the pill in December.  Just found out Sunday that I'm pregnant. To be honest I definitely didn't think it would be that quick - it's so crazy. I'm in complete shock still.

Like everyone said, every single person is different but I think the majority of people don't get pregnant right away. Good luck!!

• Congrats on the bfp!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"