July 2014 Moms

Trisomy 18 risk 1:30

I swear I saw a post on here not too long ago about this but I cannot find it.  My quad screen came back and the risk for Trisomy 18 is 1/30.  I called the doctor's office (our labs are posted online so they hadn't called me yet) and they said maybe my dates are off.  I have the anatomy scan on Monday so they said they will call me the next day and go from there.  I'm just nervous and upset because it looks like Trisomy 18 babies rarely make it to full-term and then living past the first year is even more rare.  DH doesn't want to talk about it and I haven't mentioned it to anyone else so thanks for reading this. Oh and our doctor doesn't offer an NT scan so we didn't have a 12 week ultrasound.  He does, however, take a "peek" with his older ultrasound but doesn't take measurements.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Trisomy 18 risk 1:30

• So sorry you are going through this.
    Fingers crossed for good news next week. In the meantime, stay away from Google!
  • I have no advice, but just want to say I'm sorry you're going through this. Hopefully you'll get some good answers at your a/s. It's just so hard having to wait so long I know. T&P's that baby is just fine. :)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • reils500 said:
    So sorry you are going through this. Fingers crossed for good news next week. In the meantime, stay away from Google!
    Too late lol!  I also went through DH's OB text books and have officially freaked myself out.

• Sorry to hear about your lab results, sending good thoughts your way :(
  • I have no experience, but you and baby are in my prayers.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 11/18/13. EDD 7/25/14. It's a BOY! 

Surprise BFP 7/30/13. EDD 4/7/14. Natural MC 8/24/13

• I'm sorry for this news. I would pursue other testing immediately.

A family I nannied for lost their daughter to trisomy 18. Please pm me if you would like their story. I'd rather not post it publicly.
    imageimage

BFP #1 11.10.13 EDD 07.22.14 Stick baby cake!
    image https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/ee/d355aa73ed49767417acbbe29ed0e6.png  BabyFruit Ticker

• Wrights22  I hope you don't have to wait too long for the results and that they come back telling you everything is okay :) Thank you all for the T&Ps :)

• Thoughts and prayers to you, your husband, and your little one.

• Ugh, I'm so sorry. When your doctor mentioned dates, it must be because your HCG level (beta) was rather right for how far along you are. HCG levels start to decline after 10 or so weeks. A high HCG level is just one of the things they look at to change your odds.

Without your additional testing, your risk right now is 3% chance. That's still low, though I'm sure it doesn't feel like it.

Keep us posted. I'm sure you'll be doing one of the blood tests that the PPs mentioned. Lots of thoughts to you.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I'm sorry for this news. I would pursue other testing immediately. A family I nannied for lost their daughter to trisomy 18. Please pm me if you would like their story. I'd rather not post it publicly.
    I will want to hear there story for sure if it turns out the baby does have a genetic disorder. I'll know more Tuesday so hopefully you don't mind if I end up PMing you next week. I'm hopeful  everything will be okay :)

• Hugs hugs hugs

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I hope you get answers soon
  • I don't know how similar they are, but I have a colleague with a son with Trisomy 16q+. He's had difficulties of course but right now he is a happy, thriving 4 year old. 

But I hope you get good news!

imageimageimage
  • I'm sorry you're going through this.
    --------------
    imageimage

M/C: 1/24/2010

Cecelia:11/22/10

CAUTIOUSLY expecting Jace in July August 2014

Old Bumpie, New name 
  • (((HUGS)))  I hope you get good news, and soon!

TTC since October 2012

BFP#1 1/11/13, EDD 9/19/13, M/C at 9wk6dy 

BFP#2 11/12/13, DS born 7/28/14!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage

image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Chart

Everyone is welcome

• My midwife told me today that my risk for Down Syndrome came back 1/18 (5%). I am going on Friday for the ultrasound. It feels like an eternity to wait even if it is a couple of days. I know they are off on my dates because I don't ovulate regularly (PCOS), so I am praying that is the reason for the positive test. I'll be thinking of you! Let us know how it goes.
  • I would focus on it just being a risk level. T&P the time passes quickly until you find out more.
    imageimage"">

• Thinking of you!
  • Big hugs while you wait this out. I know of a sweet 2.5 year old with trisomy 18 who is doing amazingly. She of course had many challenges but is now walking and talking more and more everyday.
    imageimage
  • Thoughts and prayers!
    //

::formerly csmith - regular/lurker since Nov13:: 
  • Sending you lots of thoughts and vibes.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• @a_brasuell and @wrights22 : If I can offer any advice or support, please let me know. I just had my amniocentesis last week (16w2d) and I had one with my last baby too. It is the most definitive analysis you can have done and both procedures I had have been positive experiences. Even a detailed anatomical ultrasound will not always give an indication as to chromosomal abnormality. My son is a Trisomy 2 Mosaic and his anatomy scan, and all his follow-up u/s were completely 'normal'. My good friend also had a 'normal' anatomy scan with her Downs son. With this baby (a girl) we have had a positive screen for Downs (as expected with my age) and we are currently awaiting the results. Wishing you all the best on your journeys - I understand completely how you feel.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I understand the pain of waiting :( I'll be thinking of you and hoping and praying good news comes your way.
  • I'm so sorry that you had to find out that way and also now wait for further results- is it too late for diagnostic bloodwork?
    imageimage

Alexander - 8/9/14
  • Hope you get some good news soon. Thinking of you!
    Anniversary

• When it comes down to it... it is just a risk factor, not a diagnostic test.  You should take a diagnostic test just to put your mind at ease.  Maternit21 is just as reliable as an amnio and it is not an invasive test.  Just bloodwork.  I would highly suggest you have it done.

I was given a1:2 chance of my son having Downs Syndrome because of the type of heart defect he was diagnosed with.  Maternit21 was negative and indeed he was not born with DS.

Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • My thoughts are with you.

13 yr old boy with ASD, ADHD and PICA, 11 yr old boy, 3 yr old Girl, & baby Girl.

imageimage

• I'm in a similar boat. NT scan last Friday showed a very high amount of fluid (9mm). I go in tomorrow morning for another ultrasound and to discuss diagnostic tests. Gaining hope as the week went on, but the doctor was very real that he didn't see much to be hopeful about. The waiting game is the worst. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers as well as the others in the same boat who have commented.

@cakebatter27 If you wouldn't mind sharing the story with me via PM, I'd appreciate it.
    *TW* Losses Mentioned
    9.6.12 - Crazy J entered the world

4.30.14 - Sweet Angel Micah John lost to T18 at 7 months pregnant
    2.8.16 Miscarriage at 6 weeks
    4.30.16 BFP *stick baby stick*

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker

• agree with other posts- get Panorama/Materni21/Harmony or one of those blood tests and get a better and more accurate risk factor..
    you will get the results back in 7-10 days.
    and if your ob doesn't know about these tests then I would question how up to date your practice is!

• Keeping you in my thoughts!
    Formerly knittylady
    DH:34 - Me: 33
    Emmaline Winifred - 1.25.2013
    Wesley Daniel - 7.24.2014
    #3 EDD - 6.24.2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you all so much for the support. If the ultrasound shows anything I am sure that my doctor will do diagnostic testing so we know what to expect.  I hope everyone who is waiting on results gets good news. Like others said, waiting is so hard and I just want everything to be okay and to be able to start preparing if things are not.

• I am so sorry you're going through this. I can't imagine the fear, frustration and having to wait. I'll be thinking of you and baby. Please keep us posted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"