Food Allergy
Options

Mspi and reintroducing dairy/soy

Any experience with this? Pedi said to wait 1 year for dairy but didn't say anything about soy. I know it takes weeks for dairy to leave your system, is this true about soy? My son is EBF. Thanks!

Re: Mspi and reintroducing dairy/soy

• Options
    Hi, how old is your son? I'm not sure if you are referring to when YOU can reintroduce dairy/soy back into your diet, or if your baby is on solids already and nearing 1 year old.  

Yes it does take a while for dairy/soy to leave your system.  Are you just eliminating it now?  (Sorry, really lost without you indicating his age haha).  If so, you may notice improvement seemingly right away.  With DD, I had a whole new baby within just a few days, and total improvement within a couple weeks!!!  It was so encouraging.  I have read some moms say it has taken longer... like a month.  But I have no experience with it taking that long.

I would definitely wait until at least 6 months to try introducing dairy/soy back into your own diet, if not longer.  (I went until 11 months after having DD tested for allergies).

Speaking of, have you had him tested for allergies? We had DD tested at 10 months, and she was positive still for dairy and soy.  Our GI doctor recommended attempting dairy in the form of yogurt at 1 year, with epipen nearby, to see how she did.  I'm very glad we did, as she had no issues and it has opened up a lot of options for foods for us.

Hope I kind of answered your questions. Tag me if you'd like more info and I can try to share more specifically to the age you are working with.

DD 11/1/12
    DS 7/16/14
    DD Free from FPIES triggers as of 18 months! 
    Sweet potato, avocado, banana, mango, oats, wheat & rice outgrown.
    Dairy, soy, and peanut allergies outgrown! Allergic to eggs.
    DS MSPI, egg allergy
  • Options
    Hi, how old is your son? I'm not sure if you are referring to when YOU can reintroduce dairy/soy back into your diet, or if your baby is on solids already and nearing 1 year old.  

Yes it does take a while for dairy/soy to leave your system.  Are you just eliminating it now?  (Sorry, really lost without you indicating his age haha).  If so, you may notice improvement seemingly right away.  With DD, I had a whole new baby within just a few days, and total improvement within a couple weeks!!!  It was so encouraging.  I have read some moms say it has taken longer... like a month.  But I have no experience with it taking that long.

I would definitely wait until at least 6 months to try introducing dairy/soy back into your own diet, if not longer.  (I went until 11 months after having DD tested for allergies).

Speaking of, have you had him tested for allergies? We had DD tested at 10 months, and she was positive still for dairy and soy.  Our GI doctor recommended attempting dairy in the form of yogurt at 1 year, with epipen nearby, to see how she did.  I'm very glad we did, as she had no issues and it has opened up a lot of options for foods for us.

Hope I kind of answered your questions. Tag me if you'd like more info and I can try to share more specifically to the age you are working with.

Thanks for the response! My son is 8 months old and I am EBF. I'm wondering if/when I should try eating soy protein again. We never had an allergy test done. I cut dairy and soy out of my diet after LO was fussy/straining when going to the bathroom and after seeing some specks of blood in his poop. Pedi said to definitely cut out dairy and told me to do soy as well since its common for kids to have ntolerances to both. I haven't tried to reintroduce either back into my diet but am considering trying soy again. I have no plans to reintroduce dairy before a year unless the dr advises me to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"