Stay at Home Moms

How often do you vacation or just go OOT for a few days?

I feel like every few months I need to get out of our city! Just even a night in a neighbouring town.
DH always points out these little trips add up and the money could go to nicer, bigger trips instead.
We average one good vacation a year, flying and nice hotel tourist type thing.
Then about 4 quick overnight trips a year. Usually a 4 hour drive to a city with nice shopping and hotel. Just one night most of the time. 
We also do a lot of day trips to the mountains, or a town that has a cool candy store, etc. 
I get antsy staying put. What about you? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How often do you vacation or just go OOT for a few days?

• Well we go visit my parents 4 hours away every other month or so. The kids and I usually travel in the summer for two or three four day trips. DH and I are going on two four day trips this summer. Then I do it with friends twice a year. I would say it averages to about 9-10 small trips and 2-3 big trips a year but a lot of that is in the summer.
  • We mostly do day trips or a couple nights at my family's lake cabin.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think I love getting out of town because DD is so active. On a road trip she is forced to be still lol, strapped in her car seat. Plus I like no cleaning and cooking, even for just 2 days.
  • I think DH is a homebody and I am so not. We stayed in a hotel 10 minutes from our house the week after New Years. Just so we could use the pool, eat in the restaurant and relax. The idea is so foreign to him, especially staying in our own city right close to our home lol. He never stayed in a hotel until he went on a band trip at 16.
  • I will say as the kids get older it is harder and harder as our weekends are taken up with sports.
  • We usually visit some of DH's OOT family once a year. That's it.

• We save to go on a longer (2-3 week) international vacation once every two years, with hotels, eating out, etc. We also go camping around 4 or 5 times every summer, anywhere from a weekend to 2 weeks, in a tent trailer or tent, and I look forward to those all year.... so wonderful. And otherwise, there might be a weekend getaway for a special occasion once every year or two, but it's not a habit. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• We do one long vacation-- usually 10 days but dh wants to do 14 this year. gag. i prefer shorter trips--we do five or so a year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's a little different each year. There are random nights at my parents house, several long weekends at their place in upstate ny as well as one longer trip (dh isn't always there), usually a week with the inlaws somewhere, at least one vacation just the 4 of us, and a few weekends with friends, camping or the shore.

Whereabouts upstate?
  • It's shaping up to be a lot this year. We have two ski weekends planned for Febuary and March, and in between those we're meeting some friends at a resort with a hot springs for a weekend, I'm taking the kids to Scottsdale with my mom and sisters for a few days over spring break, we're doing a Disney cruise in April, a week in Breckenridge with my IL's in June, and our annual week of horseback riding in August.

Wow. That sounds like a lot when it's all typed out. I'm looking forward to all of it, though.
  • KC_13 said:

It's a little different each year. There are random nights at my parents house, several long weekends at their place in upstate ny as well as one longer trip (dh isn't always there), usually a week with the inlaws somewhere, at least one vacation just the 4 of us, and a few weekends with friends, camping or the shore.

Whereabouts upstate?
    Pretty far up 81, about 30-40 min from the Canadian border near the 1000 islands.
    Shut the fuck up. we make a detour to that area every single summer when we go away since dh has family over there and we take the kids to the french festival in cape Vincent. :)
  • DH and I do one biggish trip every year or every other year. DS is such a happy kid but not fun to travel with (1.5 yo), so we have just done over nights here and there with him. As he gets older I think every other year will try to do a nice family trip. On the opposite years we'll probably do a nice trip just for DH and me. That's what I'm hoping, at least!

We do overnights someplace in driving distance 2 to 4 times a year.
  • We usually camp one or two weekends a summer, do a couple weekend trips to visit DH's family, and usually one weekend trip to Iowa to visit family.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We do one week long family vacation every year...somtimes that is the beach for a week and sometimes it is more tourist type vacations.  We also do 1-2 weekend trips as a family each year and a lot of day trips.  My mom and I also take the kids to visit my sister in FL on Spring Break and then take them somewhere for a few days in the summer as well.  H and I also take 2-3 weekend trips just the 2 of us each year. I also take 1-2 girls weekend trips each year.
    Wow, we travel a lot. I didn't realize it was that much until i typed it out. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Usually one 7-10 day trip and several weekends/overnights with family and friends.  We do day trips to museums, zoos, etc. At least 1-2 Times a month.
  • Not enough! The kids have never been on a legitimate vacation. This summer however, we're going away twice, for 7-10 days each time.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Aside from trips to KY to see DHs family (which his parents insisted on and paid for) we haven't gone away since our honeymoon 7.5 years ago. When we lived in NYC I used to bring the girls up to my aunt's an hour north of the city or my mom's (the town we live in now) every week or o because I had to get out of the madness at least weekly. 

Now that DH will finally be done with 7 years of post-graduate education we're already starting to think about where our first family vacation will be next summer. Most likely Williamsburg because it's one of my favorites and the girls are really into Felicity (the American Girl character) so they're excited about the idea too!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Usually one week in winter and one in summer. Winter we fly somewhere warm but summer we just go to a fun vacation spot within driving distance.
  • My ils have a lake house so we go there for long weekends. Once in awhile in the winter and more often in the summer. Maybe once or twice a month? It is about 3 hours from us. This year we are going on 2 bigger trips, Disney and an I.international one but the Disney one is pretty cheap since dh's work is paying for his plane ticket and the hotel for 4 nights. The international trip is to celebrate and we have been planning it forever. We wouldn't usually do 2 big trips like that.
  • About once a month. We go and visit my parents that is about 4 hours away. They have two houses so we get the one in the country. (over 150 acres) and we are also about 45 mins. from the gulf coast and my IL's have a beach house in Orange Beach. It only cost $20 per night we stay there.

Then I try to plan on one big vacation once a year but we didn't do one last year. This year we are going to Orlando (WE LEAVE ON MONDAY. SO EXCITED)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We usually do one to two family trips, summer and spring break or summer and a long holiday weekend in the Fall and then a couple of weekend trips by ourselves.
  • We usually do one to two family trips, summer and spring break or summer and a long holiday weekend in the Fall and then a couple of weekend trips by ourselves.
  • We usually do one cruise a year, and one week-2 week land based vacation.  Then 2-4 weekend type trips.  Once the kids get older (like school age), I told DH I would like to add 1 international trip per year in the mix.  I know it is going to cost a lot, but vacation is our splurge. 
  • Once a year or so. This past year we took the kids to see Day with Thomas a couple hours away and went to the bigger zoo there as well, so we stayed overnight. I just got home from Houston for a couple of days, but it was for a funeral, so I don't know that it counts as a "vacation". I did get to fly on a plane with an 11 mo old and see family and friends though, so I got out of the house! Couple of years ago, we did a few nights in Branson with our cousins, etc. We haven't taken any big vacations though since the kids were born. When they get older, we want to take them more places that they will enjoy/remember.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Not as often as I'd like, but that's to be expected for now. Last summer DH's work sent him to a conference at this resort a few hours away. It was our first trip w/ the twins and it went well!

We're planning something for this year....maybe 5-7 days somewhere in the state. And ILs camp a lot so we might get brave and join them for a weekend.
  • we go on 1 big vacation once a year and maybe a weekend trip once a year.  If I start to feel antsy like you, I go to the spa.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Never! Is that an answer?!? :)

Seriously, we haven't had a regular travel schedule since 2010 (the year before Nolan was born). With the baby being born and Emily starting school, it's been so hectic that we've had family travel to us for all the major holidays and we just sort of "veg" during school holidays.

We do have plans to start traveling again June 2015 (Nolan turns 4) with a week at Disneyland, two weeks in Texas to visit our family/friends, and DH & I are preparing for our 10 year wedding anniversary trip in September that same year. We promised Emily we'd start going to Texas for Christmas again that year - we'll see! I'd personally like to add at least one, 3- to 4-day trip to Tahoe beginning that next Winter. It's so close and we have friends with property. We've never experienced snow. None of us!

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• It depends. We usually try to do at least one big (10-14 days) family vacation every year. Then DH and I go OOT 1-2 nights at least 6 times a year. It's usually to South Bend for Notre Dame football games. We also take a few long weekends during the summer and go to the lake about an hour away with both boys. The beginning of March this year when my brothers baseball team is on the way back from spring training tournament in Florida they are playing a few games in Lexington, KY. My parents are going for a long weekend and I think DS and I are gonna tag along.

So I guess it averages out to 1-2 big trips and about 10-14 smaller ones.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers ANGELS ARE GIVEN WINGS AND TAKEN BACK TOO SOON --- We love and miss you soo much Kacie Rae --- 9/11/10 --- born sleeping at 29wks2d
  • 2-Step2-Step member
    edited January 2014
    We do a week at the lake every summer, sometimes two. We go on at least 3-4 other weekends away in the summer. In the fall we do our anniversary and a weekend out of town for oktoberfest. Winter is usually one long weekend in the snow somewhere and one that is just DH and I. About every other year we will fly somewhere in the Spring for a week. This year it's Puerto Vallarta, but usually it's San Diego or Northern Cali.

I'd say we average 2 week-long trips per year with the kids, 4-6 weekends away with the kids and 2 weekends away that are just us. We each also do two guys or girls weekends with our friends each year. One in summer and one in winter/fall.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"