Cloth Diapering

How do you deal with poo?

musicalsilvermusicalsilver member
edited January 2014 in Cloth Diapering
Obviously we're talking solids poop here. I feel like this has been asked a million times, but I'm curious about the percentages of folks that spray/scrape/dunk&swish. Hope you don't mind, but I love clicky polls!
BabyFetus Ticker
DS born 6/2013

How do you deal with poo? 100 votes

Spray baby, spray!
39% 39 votes
Scrape. I have a close relationship with my spatula.
12% 12 votes
Dunk & swish.
13% 13 votes
Other/SS/Lurker
36% 36 votes

Re: How do you deal with poo?

• My sprayer and i have a close relationship the last few days. Ever since we've started solids...it's nearly every diaper that needs a good hose down!

• Poopula, (poo-spatula) though the poopy diapers will usually get a quick swish & flush too.
  • Loading the player...
  • I use my sprayer for more than diapers too. It was broke for a week, and I swore every diaper was a poopy diaper. :-q
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • I'm too cheap for a sprayer.  I take toilet paper and wipe the poop off and throw it in the toilet.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • I just plop. Always have plopable poo here

Multiple ectopics, 2 failed IVF's
    IVF #1: Did not get to ET, embies all failed PGD (major chromosomal defects)
    IVF #2: We have 2 chromosomally perfect embies as a result of PGD (Boy/Girl) 1 failed the thaw (Girl) Transferred 1, yet ended as a c/p
    Thought it was the end of our TTC Journey 6/20/2012
    SHOCK BFP 9/28/2012: IT'S A BOY! and everything is normal !!!!!!

Little A born 38w 2d on 05/23/13 and is a true miracle for this IF Vet!

I hate you. ;)
    Ds usually has plopable poop here too......though @SecretAgentKate could claim to be getting revenge.   Ds has had at least one very thick, pb poop-splosion per day the past couple of days.  Thankful that he was in cloth each time.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • I used fleece squares for poop liners. DH says the poop practically rolls off of them. But we do plan to get a sprayer this time around. We were on a super strict budget when we CD'd DS2.

• I bitterly dunk and swish.

I bought all the stuff for a DIY diaper sprayer and the fucker leaked. No matter how I hooked the hoses up. I wasn't doing it wrong. I took the parts back and got my $43 back.

I decided I would just get a new shower head since we needed one anyway. I made sure it had a long enough hose and an off switch. Yeah. That is a huge mess and you need 3 hands. Maybe someone could help me with their technique? The off switch leaks horribly since the water doesn't turn off completely.

So now instead of having a sprayer. I have a $30 shower head I can't use for its double purpose and still need a $40 sprayer. Eff my life!
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• I have been a dunk and swisher, but yesterday I found a hose I bought that attaches to the showerhead to wash your dog with. I'm in love!
  • doeie04 said:
    I bitterly dunk and swish. I bought all the stuff for a DIY diaper sprayer and the fucker leaked. No matter how I hooked the hoses up. I wasn't doing it wrong. I took the parts back and got my $43 back. I decided I would just get a new shower head since we needed one anyway. I made sure it had a long enough hose and an off switch. Yeah. That is a huge mess and you need 3 hands. Maybe someone could help me with their technique? The off switch leaks horribly since the water doesn't turn off completely. So now instead of having a sprayer. I have a $30 shower head I can't use for its double purpose and still need a $40 sprayer. Eff my life!
    I found that folding the diaper in half (so the front and the back meet, with the poopy part facing out) and putting the cleaner side (even on very messy diapers there's usually one side that's less messy) against the bowl helped. Then I sprayed at a slight angle. 

This video is pretty similar to what I do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0QriLzv678
  • We're planning on the "shower head as poo sprayer" too.  We don't have the shower head yet though, so take this suggestion with a grain of salt.
    I've seen a couple of bloggers & youtube folks use the removable showerhead to spray a diaper into a 5 gallon bucket inside the bathtub.  Then empty the bucket into the potty.
    I'd probably plop first (into the toilet) if that's possible, then spray the residue then empty that into potty and flush.

Like I said, I've not tried it yet.  But it seems like it should work, and a $3 bucket is definitely cheaper than a diaper sprayer.  Heck, you could probably use a bucket around the house for proof of concept.
  • I spray and love the fact that I have a low flow toilet. Which means I have a really low water level. I lay my diaper almost completely in the toilet and spray from there. The key is getting the right angle so that you don't get any spray back. The only problem is I can't really dunk my diapers.
  • We're planning on the "shower head as poo sprayer" too.  We don't have the shower head yet though, so take this suggestion with a grain of salt.
    I've seen a couple of bloggers & youtube folks use the removable showerhead to spray a diaper into a 5 gallon bucket inside the bathtub.  Then empty the bucket into the potty.
    I'd probably plop first (into the toilet) if that's possible, then spray the residue then empty that into potty and flush.

Like I said, I've not tried it yet.  But it seems like it should work, and a $3 bucket is definitely cheaper than a diaper sprayer.  Heck, you could probably use a bucket around the house for proof of concept.
    With the bad ones I got from ds a day or so ago, I dumped out my mop bucket (the one I use for a diaper pail) into a wet bag and put the poopy diaper and cover in and filled with water and let sit in the tub for a bit, then I dumped the water into the toilet, refilled mop bucket and while holding it over the tub, agitated it before dumping water again.then rinsed and set the diaper and cover in tub while I emptied the mop bucket once more.  Then I put all back into the mop bucket and dumped into washer and rinsed mop bucket for next round of diapers. So I would believe the method Kelly described would work if you had a spray showerhead.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • We sprayed from the start of solids and still use the sprayer now to spray poop out of her potty. I can't say we coldn't live without it, since we did ok on trips to grandparents' houses without one, but it definitely made things MUCH easier.

Jess & Adam, married 2009, precious Audrey born in 2011. BFP 1/6/13, 6-wk MMC discovered at 9 wks 2/11/13. D&C 2/18/13, second D&C 4/23/13 for retained placenta.
    BFP 8/24/13!! EDD 5/1/14, delivered healthy and sweet Zoey Leanne on 5/5/14 by repeat c-section.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Luckily, most of ours can just be dumped, no spraying or scraping necessary. But we do have a sprayer and it's very nice when we need it.
    Lilypie - (8zJg)Lilypie - (Eu83)
  • Spray! I require a diaper sprayer. I was the odd one out that even sprayed EBF poops, though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

I hate you. ;)

;)@secretagentkate

Multiple ectopics, 2 failed IVF's
    IVF #1: Did not get to ET, embies all failed PGD (major chromosomal defects)
    IVF #2: We have 2 chromosomally perfect embies as a result of PGD (Boy/Girl) 1 failed the thaw (Girl) Transferred 1, yet ended as a c/p
    Thought it was the end of our TTC Journey 6/20/2012
    SHOCK BFP 9/28/2012: IT'S A BOY! and everything is normal !!!!!!

Little A born 38w 2d on 05/23/13 and is a true miracle for this IF Vet!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"