Working Moms

Daycare and sickness

I always knew the first year would be hard . I knew ds would get sick a ton but it's getting old . He's been in DC 6 mos and every other week it's something . Usually a cold or eat infection or slight fever but I just got a call that he's throwing up and I need to go get him . We got an email on Monday that someone in the center got the stomach virus and I just knew he would get it. Sure enough here we are . When does it get better ?! It's taking all my energy to not quit right now and just stay home !

Re: Daycare and sickness

• My kids are 2 and 4 and I can't remember the last time one of them was home sick. The first year or so is rough and then it gets better.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Same experience here. DS has had a runny nose for all but a couple weeks over the past 6-7 months, in addition to a couple of viruses. On top of that he's had chronic ear infections that we're now having tubes inserted. We're at our limit, too. I just keep reminding myself that it's worse for him than it is for us.
  • Loading the player...
  • For DD, the worst was over by the time she turned 2, and then it gradually has gotten a lot better.  She still gets sick but it is normal runny nose stuff and she rarely needs to stay home.  DS had a super rough winter last year but this year so far has been better.  I think once they pass the everything-in-the-mouth phase you will see a definite improvement.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • First 6months are the worst, my kids were sick at least once a month. Then they weren't sick at all until October when cold season started. Stomach bug is bad this year, even if she was home she could pick it up somewhere else. I think once you get to April, you should be pretty good.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No advice but I'm following this thread.  DS started daycare part time in Dec and full-time the first week of Jan.  He was exposed to RSV that week and unfortunately had to be hospitalized for 8 days to treat it.  We're keeping him home for 2 weeks to give him more time to recuperate before exposing him to all those germs again.  I'm right there with you about wanting to just stay home with him!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Up to age 1 was bad and it got way better after 2.  If it helps, DD is 7 months old and has only missed school for pink eye.  I *think* that having an older sibling has helped her avoid sickness.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Our first year sucked. I think from October to March LO was home sick at least every other week. This year has been much better. LO still gets sick, but just a runny nose and coughing. No fever, so he is allowed to stay at daycare. I think he's only been home 3 days total this winter so far.
  • My daughter has attended daycare since she was 8-9 weeks. She typically has a runny nose every few weeks. She has never had a fever or thrown up. I am like other posters... I am glad she is building up her immunities now versus later. The only time she was really sick was around 2 months when she was diagnosed with RSV but I believe she got the cold from me more so than daycare.
  • DD is 2 years, 9 months old and hasn't been sick or even had the sniffles in almost a year!  She did get sick (mainly colds and one stomach bug) during her first year in daycare, but I believe her immune system is quite strong now. 

I can't remember the last time I had to take a sick day.  It will get better. 

• Just wanted to say we are in the same boat. DD turned one in December so it is her first winter in daycare. I am really hoping that next year is better. It seems like someone in my house has been sick every day since November.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• The first year was by far the worst, the second year much better.  By the third it was a huge change!  DS has had a few mild colds here and there but nothing that even required him to go to the doctor or stay home.  I don't want to jinx it, but between his 2 year old and 3 year old well visits we didn't go to the doctor, not even once. And now he's closing in on 3 1/2 and still going strong!
    photo 7ce353dd-36ff-42be-84c5-8548c1d4fa1cjpg
    BFP #1 11/28/09 ~ EDD 8/6/10 ~ DS Born 8/9/10
    BFP #2 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/8/14 ~ Natural MC 9/18/13 at 6 weeks, 6 days
    BFP#3 3/28/14 ~ EDD 12/7/14 ~ DD Born 11/21/14
    BFP#4 6/15/17 ~ EDD 2/20/18
  • It is terrible. Terrible! Having said that, we're 6 months in and DS is still having a runny nose (always) and small cough (sometimes) but he seems to be turning a corner. We haven't had to keep him home due to illness since November (knock on wood).

\image  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"