January 2013 Moms

Let's talk teeth

Ok. So I have read everywhere toothpaste is not suggested until age 2. Even our pediatric dentist says the same. However, I have noticed that if I do not use a tiny bit, he gets plaque build up on his teeth. I barely out enough on the tooth brush to even see it but even that little hit helps. What are your thoughts on teeth brushing at this age? What are you doing/using? Btw we brush his teeth once a day before bed. Yes I suck I know it should be 2x
Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
Paige 8/5/99, Kara 7/22/03 and Benjamin 1/19/13
  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

10 losses 1996-1998, 2 losses 2001-2002, 3 losses 2010-2012, loss 1/2014

Re: Let's talk teeth

• DD still doesn't even have a tooth yet
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I just told DH tonight that I need to get DS a different toothpaste because the stuff I have makes his mouth smell. I should also be brushing twice but only do it at night. Did you take DS to a dentist already?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We use the fluoride free kind and her pedi gives us fluoride drops. We do both nightly.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • We have been using toothpaste with fluoride since 9 months per DD's dentist becaue she somehow managed to chip the enamel in her front two teeth. We have to keep them protected otherwise they could get weaker. The dentist showed us the amount to use, only the size of a grain of rice since she cannot spit it out yet. Ordinarily she does not recommend toothpaste with fluoride until they are 18 months-2 years. I think they do sell beginning toothpaste that does not have fluoride in it. That may help get the plaque off without having to worry about the fluoride.
  • There are a lot of toothpastes without fluoride you could use. DD just got her teeth, but we use Honest Co kids toothpaste for DS and wipe hers down at night.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• We use just a teeny bit of toothpaste. DS just popped his first molar, so 7 teeth and one molar! Eekkkk, such a little man!

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• We have had eight teeth and one molar since 9 months (and have been holding ever since, so weird!) but we so far brush nightly with no toothpaste.  My DD's comfort measure is to chew on her AA security blankets constantly though so that is how I justify the lack of dental hygeine at this point.  We have a dentist appointment made. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • DD has 4 teeth. We brush every night before bed. And she constantly chews on everything.

My aunt is a dental hygienist and told me to not use toothpaste until she is able to spit it out. She said I could use a flouride free toothpaste if I could find it, but water is ok for not. Apparently if they swallow flouride toothpaste now, it can put light spots on their adult teeth.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I just told DH tonight that I need to get DS a different toothpaste because the stuff I have makes his mouth smell. I should also be brushing twice but only do it at night. Did you take DS to a dentist already?

No we do not have dental insurance on him yet. It is $150 for the "first" visit. I asked them when I took my dd in for a cleaning :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Paige 8/5/99, Kara 7/22/03 and Benjamin 1/19/13

10 losses 1996-1998, 2 losses 2001-2002, 3 losses 2010-2012, loss 1/2014
  • No teeth here either!!!  Well, one trying to bust through on the bottom, but that is it!
  • We've been using a tiny bit of fluoride free toothpaste everynight. It came with the toothbrush from Target. I noticed recently that 2 of her teeth look yellow :-/
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • my son has 8 teeth and 2 molars that are coming in. we brush daily (in the morning) with a non fluoride tooth paste and toddler tooth brush. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"