New York Babies

NYC Hospital comparison

Anyone know a good website that compares NYC hospital L&D units?  Or anyone have some inside info they can share (if your a doctor, nurse, midwife, doula)?

Re: NYC Hospital comparison

• Still looking for some insight if anyone has it.  I am doing as much research as I can.  My current OB delivers at Beth Israel and I am not seeing any top rated doctors that deliver here, or really any information that would make me believe this is one of the better hospitals to deliver at. I see info on Lenox Hill, NYU, St. Lukes, Mount Sinai and NY Presbyterian. 

If anyone else in the future is interested in this same info, here is where I found it: 

• I delivered at SLR in March '13.  Loved my doctor, really liked the staff but HATED the hospital. In my opinion it needs to be demolished and rebuilt.  My neighbor delivered at Lenox and loved it.  I've heard great things about Lenox.

Really liked my doula as well.  She didn't have a lot of deliveries under her belt but she was perfect for us. 

If you have specific questions, let me know and I will answer them if I can.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @jglenn4 I made a final decision.  I didn't feel comfortable delivering at Beth Israel without any good feedback at all (personal/internet).  My sister-in-law knows a head nurse at Lenox Hill and she helped me find a highly recommended OBGYN practice that delivers there.  I feel much better and more comfortable.  And so happy you have heard great feedback on Lenox Hill!

Who was your doula?  My friend just delivered at SLR and loved her doula too! 

• Her name is Lisa Fonfrias-Altu.  She is such a kind, soothing young woman.  She came over a few hours after my water broke and stayed over night.  We walked through Times Sq., the stairs at my apt bldg and to the hospital the next day.  I didn't think any of that was possible...LOL.  Being that my labor never progressed after my water broke and I had to go to the hospital to get induced, she stayed with us 30+ hours.  She was a real trooper. My doctor alluded to the fact I might have to have a c-section because I was not pushing effectively (or something along those lines).  Well with a little extra encouragement and instruction from her, I got the baby out in 45 mins with no stitching and no tearing.  The no tearing/stitching thing was probably just good luck.  

Good luck.  I don't think you will be disappointed with Lenox.  If you have a c-section and can afford it, or if you just can afford it, try to get a private room.  I hear they're worth every penny. Good luck!!!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • @jglenn4 I am totally going to spkurge for the Beyonce suit at Lenox Hill. $1700 a night sounds like a good price! :-)
  • I am a doula and cert childbirth educator and the Owner of City Births, which provides educational services for New and Expecting Parents.
    Here is the thing on hospitals and numbers.  I am not sure what you are looking for but often people what to know the csection rates for hospitals, the reality is that it does not matter, what matters in your OBs, you can have an OB with at 10% rate at a hospital with 34% rate and the other way around.  Most NYC hospitals are all around 34%.
    In terms of being nice.  I hate Lenox hill, bad nurses, small rooms.
    NY Pres is one of my favorites as is Saint Lukes.  Saint lukes has nice private rooms, much nicer then NY Pres or NYU.
    I like NYU but don't like the meds they use for inductions, they use something called cytotex which was a drug used to treat I believe ulcers but they found it also can induce labor, it is very cheap but not as good as cervidil, which is more expensive. 
    I would say to base your decision on your doctor, the major hospitals are all pretty much the same, some offer nicer private rooms, or a better menu but they are all for the most part going to be fine for a normal delivery so I would start looking first at OBS.  If you want to use birth center then SLR is your only hospital based option.
    Me I would go to NY Pres or SLR.  Both nice, both has for the most part nice staff.
    Hope this helps.  Happy to chat more if you want to email me.  See website below.
    kindly
    Andrea
    City Births
    www.citybirths.com
  • It is misleading to just look at c section rates for either Drs or hospitals!! We live in a city where there are many women getting pregnant with multiples because of IVF, or are high risk for other reasons. This drives up the chance of c sections being done. When looking at rates you need to look at rates for your specific group. If you're a first time mom w low risk pregnancy then look to see what rates are for you. If you're high risk w multiples then clearly you're not in the same category. Yes it is true that overall c section rates nationally are up, but I'm just cautioning that you compare apples with apples. High risk OBs and the top notch hospitals will always have higher c section rates because of the patients they see.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"