Attachment Parenting
Options

Best carrier for airport/plane

We are going to be traveling with my 13 month old next week. I have a Babyhawk but am thinking of borrowing a wrap to travel through the airport and on the plane. Then also bringing the Babyhawk for at our destination (Cuba), since it will be hot.
Do you think the wrap would be better for the travel? The reason I think it will be is then I don't have to take it off anytime I need to take her out of it.
Also, does anyone know. Will I have to take her out of the carrier in order to go through security?
TIA!

BFP #1 05/03/12 DD: 12/18/12
BFP #2 05/26/14 MMC: 6/26/14 D&C: 7/18/14
BFP #3 10/09/14 MC 10/24/14

Re: Best carrier for airport/plane

• Options
    I used a stretchy wrap when I flew with DD. She was only 3 months at the time, but I did not have to take her out to go through security. They just brought us through the old-school metal detector, and did the hand swipes for me. That said, I know security procedures can vary widely by airport, and I'm not sure what they'd do with an older baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Lurker here, but I flew with my daughter at 7 weeks in a K'tan. I never had to take her out of it to go through security, like PP mentioned they just had me walk thru the metal detector. I don't have another carrier, but I liked how snuggled she was for traveling, no one tried to touch her or get close to her. Also a plus, I was able to bring a full water bottle through security and say it was for the baby (Even though I EBF!) Safe travels!
    TTC #1 since 06/2010 
    Diagnosed with PCOS 6/2011, uterine septum resection 4/2012 
    After 4 miscarriages, Clomid and TI brought us our beautiful baby girl on 8/14/13! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had an easy time with DS in my Ergo, but I left it buckled around my waist when I took him out. A wrap would be soft and comfy. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    I liked using my Moby. It was basically wearing another layer and I left it on the whole time... I do remember once setting off the detector with a ring sling. Oops.
  • Options
    I'd use whatever you are comfortable with!  I've not had to take baby out for security (although I've always been wearing something without metal too which may or may not matter).  If you want to leave the MT on, just loosen the ties and retie loosely and pop baby out - pop her back in and retighten.
  • Options
    I flew with my DD when she was 7 months. I used my Ergo at the time. They told me I had to completely take it off and go through the metal detectors holding the baby or I'd get a pat down and strip search. Not fun. They did the same thing coming home too. They even bomb checked all my bottles. I wouldn't take a wrap. It would be too difficult to put on if you have to take it off at security and you'll probably get really hot in the airport. I would just do your Babyhawk. No metal on it and it's easy to get on and off.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I would just pick your favorite one you have :) I used my Mei Tai with DD at 15 months and it was great. I didn't have to take her out through security.
    Mommy to Emery Vera 5.20.12  Blog
  • Options

I used a Manduca and was told I had to remove baby and take the carrier off to put through machine.  I was travelling alone, with my 4 month old.  I took the baby out, undid the carrier, went through. I then had to get the carrier back on to put baby back in to get my bags.  I was alone and had to put baby down.

I put my 4 month old in a tray, on the rolly belt between the tray with my backpack and the tray with the next persons backpack.

The security people were laughing really hard...because people walking by just see a baby lying in a tray on the rollers. Heehee...looked like she went through with the bags.

Anyways...you never know if you'll have to remove the carrier completely.  Once I got to leave it on...many other times the baby and carrier had to come off.

I liked the manduca (similar to ergo) as I could leave it attached at the waist hanging like an apron when baby was not in it.

• Options

I'd go with whatever you are confident with. I almost exclusively wrap, so I did that in the airport and on the plane. I had to take baby out for take off (some rule they have) but I popped him back in the pouch of a FWCC after that to nurse him and let him sleep. I swung him up on my back in a ruck to get off the plane. But, I am an advanced wrapper and tight spaces with long fabric doesn't phase me these days. DH stuck with his favorite: a mei tai. We did not need to get the kids out to go through security.

I love cotton or linen wraps for hot destinations. The padding in an SSC or MT just wouldn't be breathable enough for me, but I am--as I mentioned--all about wraps.  ;)

• Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited January 2014
    I've never had to take DS out of the carrier to go through security. They just check my hands after I walk through the metal detector.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:
    I've never had to take DS out of the carrier to go through security. They just check my hands after I walk through the metal detector.

Ditto.  Our latest flight was a couple of months ago (DS was 17  months), and I still wore him through in the Ergo.  They just send you through the metal detector instead of the scanner one, and then swab your hands.

As PPs mentioned, you can't wear them during takeoffs and landings, so choose something easy to take on and off.

• Options
    I'm sure this won't be well received here, but the only safe way for your baby to travel on a plane is in a car seat.  Most plane crashes are survivable IF you are properly strapped in.  A child being worn would either 1. be his parent's airbag or 2. become a projectile.  Plus, checking your car seat makes it a seat with an unknown history.  Even gate checked seats are abused.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Options
    I agree. I know it is the safest. But for many it is not affordable. The statistics of a plane crash are so ridiculously low, I am not concerned.

We aren't bringing a car seat, so that is not a problem.

Thanks everyone! I think I will stick to my MT. We haven't used a wrap in a good 7 months, so I am not sure if she would absolutely hate it at this point. Plus she is 24+ lbs, so may be too heavy for the wrap I was looking to borrow. I am pretty sure it is a moby or similar.

BFP #1 05/03/12 DD: 12/18/12
    BFP #2 05/26/14 MMC: 6/26/14 D&C: 7/18/14
    BFP #3 10/09/14 MC 10/24/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"