Working Moms

How do you get motivated?

Between working late nights at work and my 7 month DD who isn't sleeping through the night I feel like I'm in a slump.  So if it's for work, working out, dieting, family life - how do you get motivated? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

Re: How do you get motivated?

• I'm glad you posted this.  I've been in a real funk lately.  Exercise and hobbies isn't helping me.  I'm mostly unmotivated about work - I just don't want to work anymore.  I used to be so career oriented and after one bad year with a bad job I just don't want to work anymore - even though I have a good new job/new company.  I'm the breadwinner so it's just not an option either which puts me more in a funk.   I hope others give us some advice.  You're certainly not alone in lack of motivation for things.

• AgoAgo member
    I need help too!  I was hoping putting my exercise on a schedule would help, but nada.  Maybe it is just the time of year?  I am unmotivated everywhere - work, home, exercise.
    University of Kansas alum Geoff Folker applies food coloring to his snow sculpture at his home on Park Street in Olathe, Kan., on Sunday, March 24, 2013.  A storm that dumped up to 15 inches of snow on parts of Colorado and Kansas is making its way east, with winter storm warnings and advisories issued for today and tomorrow as far east as Pennsylvania. (AP Photo/The Kansas City Star, John Sleezer)

January OAD Siggy Challenge: Creative Snow Sculptures

• Loading the player...
  • Ago said:
    I need help too!  I was hoping putting my exercise on a schedule would help, but nada.  Maybe it is just the time of year?  I am unmotivated everywhere - work, home, exercise.
    @Ago, I am glad I'm not alone and I'm also glad I'm not the only one who isn't helped by exercise!  I walk to and from work every day and workout 3-4x/week during lunch and it does zilch for my psyche!  Maybe it is this time of year.

• I am considering getting a full spectrum light to see if it helps.  I feel this way all of January through March every year.  I can't even get excited about nights out.
  • segerama said:
    I am considering getting a full spectrum light to see if it helps.  I feel this way all of January through March every year.  I can't even get excited about nights out.
    That's a good idea.  I never thought the shorter days bothered me too much but maybe they do.  Especially now that the holidays are over and there's really nothing to look forward to.

View Full Size Image

• Not sure if this helps at all, but don't set your expectations too high.  I have a 2 y.o. and a 9 week old.  I go back to work in 2 weeks.  I'm not looking forward to it.  As long as I'm giving work and family my full potential, that makes me happy.  I LOVE to run, but I know that it will be really hard to fit that into my day when I return to work so I'm just not going to put much pressure on myself to do so.  I guess this doesn't really answer your questions.  Just know you're not alone :).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think sometimes as working momma's we all get bogged down and it can be hard to see beyond it. When I start getting in a funk, I usually try to plan something whether a night away or a spa day so that it can revive me. 

Sometimes just one night of full sleep can change your whole perspective. 
  • I am helped by exercise, girl's nights or date nights and the occasional massage/facial/pedicure, etc.  I also take the occasional "me" day and just stay home with DD and have fun. 

We all get into funks and it does get better, especially once they start sleeping through the night. 

• Seeing my naked body motivates me to exercise :). I always feel better and my spirits are lifted afterwards. Start with a workout and see if you have energy in other areas afterwards.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I struggle with motivation too. Lately I have been very motivated in all other areas of my. Life except for work. I just cannot seem to get motivated at work. I feel like a very lazy employee
  • No advice, I'm so unmotivated I didn't even want to open this thread. I do find that I feel less blah during the winter, if I schedule a bunch of weekend activities- swim lessons, play dates, family outings. It's awful when the weekend rolls around and you have nowhere to go and it's too cold to go outside. Being stuck in the house with 2 young kids is enough to make anyone crazy. I also agree girls night or date night helps lift my spirits.

I haven't been able to get motivated to work out since the summer. Last year I was motivated b/c DH and I booked a kid free trip to Jamaica. Maybe you need to try a new workout if you're feeling bored.

When I feel unmotivated at home, it's usually b/c I feel like I have sooo much to do that what's the point of doing anything. If you can get one day to yourself to just power through a bunch of stuff on your todo list, then you feel caught up and it's easier to stay on top of things. The only thing that motivates me to clean my house is if we are having people over.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• One thing I did recently was make twice weekly workout dates with a friend. I hate going to the gym as much as I love going outside for a run in nice weather. I kept skipping the gym until I was meeting a friend. Since we started in November, we have only missed a handful other than the holidays. Doesn't help with the other areas, oh, how I wish my house would clean itself, but it gets me working out.
  • cjcouple said:

this probably sounds crazy but one thing I usually feel better by is to have a clean house. it's much easier to wake up in the morning to a nice clean room and house. so because of that I usually am motivated to keep it picked up after work.

also, playing with my kids. it is very easy to get caught up in only caring for them that interactive play slips by. so I make sure every night I literally take an hour to play something.

fresh air. unless it is raining or unsafe to be outside, I take the kids for a walk every night before dark.

I don't sit down until I am ready to quit for the day. I also don't turn on the tv until after dinner most nights. I do what needs to be done immediately which includes, dinner, homework, kids activities bath, pick up house etc. I probably sit around 8 or 9 every night.

This is us pretty much to a T.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"