Working Moms

NWMR - do I need to bring a carseat on this trip?

Going to Disney in march. DD will be a few weeks shy of two. We bought her a seat on the airplane. We will be taking the Disney shuttle to the hotel. Not driving otherwise. Should I bring the car seat for the plane and/or shuttle?

Re: NWMR - do I need to bring a carseat on this trip?

• Also, anyone use a CARES harness for a plane? Recommended? Not?
  • Since you already bought a seat for her, I would absolutely take her car seat on the plane. It is so much safer. Check out the car seat lady on Facebook for tips on traveling with car seats.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I would take the car seat. She's more likely to understand she has to sit there and be immobile for a little while (take-off and landing) if she's strapped into a familiar device. Maybe not so much with a lap belt and harness. And you never know when you're going to change your mind and suddenly find yourself in need of a seat.
  • I actually recommend the CARES harness.  It keeps your child in their seat with the safety of the 5-point without the added weight of carrying a car seat (assuming you decide to forgo bringing one).  Also, I like it better as a passenger in front of a CARES child.  The CARES keeps them further back so their little feet can't kick my seat ;)  The carseat pushes them forward.
  • No a car seat is not needed for DW shuttles. I have used a CARES before. It's awesome. I bought mine on CL from a flight attendant. You can also rent them through EBay for a months duration cheap.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Another vote for CARES! Great investment.
  • Those of you who have used CARES, I read that there is no strap between the legs and the kids slip down in the seat.  Was this an issue for you?  Also, are they able to relax and sleep or do you think that would be easier in their car seat?  Thanks!!
  • I guess there was a little slipping down but nothing that caused a real issue.  My 2-year old could have slept but didn't just because she was busy coloring and watching the iPad.  If you're worried about sleep, bring a pillow pet/small pillow/neck roll.
  • the CARES harness uses the airplane lap belt to secure the child, and then has suspender looking harness.  The plane lap belt will not fit a child properly until they are about 40 pounds, if your child is under that, I'd suggest bringing a car seat.  The harness doesn't help the child fit any better in the lap belt, but they are safe to use, as long as your child fits in the harness and the plane belts.  The Disney shuttles do not use car seats, so you would only be using it for the plane.
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Our car seat got stuck on the plane. The belt latch went into the belt path for the seat and it was stuck there. There wasn't room to open the latch and release the seat.

It was horrible and we held the next flight up while trying to get our seat off.

image image
  • Our car seat got stuck on the plane. The belt latch went into the belt path for the seat and it was stuck there. There wasn't room to open the latch and release the seat. It was horrible and we held the next flight up while trying to get our seat off.
    ask the flight attendant for a seatbelt extender.. they prevent that from happening.

• Our car seat got stuck on the plane. The belt latch went into the belt path for the seat and it was stuck there. There wasn't room to open the latch and release the seat.

It was horrible and we held the next flight up while trying to get our seat off.

ask the flight attendant for a seatbelt extender.. they prevent that from happening.

Good to know for next time... Or for the OP!

Everyone said to check the car seat was approved and no one mentioned the belt extender.

It was not a pleasant discovery.

image image
  • Our car seat got stuck on the plane. The belt latch went into the belt path for the seat and it was stuck there. There wasn't room to open the latch and release the seat. It was horrible and we held the next flight up while trying to get our seat off.
    Good to know for next time... Or for the OP! Everyone said to check the car seat was approved and no one mentioned the belt extender. It was not a pleasant discovery.
    Sadly- most FA's don't even know how to use them either.... airlines should really make their FA's more "car seat friendly" I think you can google or you tube it for some examples, you click the extender in and then pull one end tight, which brings the clip all the way to the corner of the seat and it will look more like a "normal" seat belt in the car, then thread the extender through the seat and buckle it to the other side.  It's really hard to explain- but easy to do when you see it :)
  • Thanks for all of the help ladies!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"