Working Moms

Pumping at work

Totally random, but do you tend to choose what you wear to work differently when pumping? I just bought several new dresses because they are more comfy than pants and then remembered that I'd be sitting there pumping mostly naked since you can just take off a shirt. Awkward! My office moved since I was on leave and I know I have a cube now so my pumping location is still to be determined.
BFP #1 on 2.13.11, MM/C 04.11.11 @ 12W, 1D
BFP #2 due on 2.17.12 - Happy Birthday Brooks 2.11.12
BFP #3 on 11.14.12, M/C 12.3.12 @ 7W, 1D
BFP #4 due 12.11.13- Happy Birthday Taylor @ 34w, 2d
- 30w+1- pPROM and hospital bed rest till DD comes

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
My Preemie ticker

image image

Re: Pumping at work

• I always layer a nursing tank under everything. I work in a more casual office so it works really well under shirts, sweaters, etc. But I've never worn a dress while pumping so no help there.
  • Yep, I tried to wear tanks or shells with cardigans so that I wasn't sitting there in the mother's room naked.  The couple of times I forgot and wore a dress or something that forced me to be naked made me feel weird, but it happened occasionally.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Honestly I would return the dresses if you can. It's way too awkward for pumping. I've been semi-walked in on a handful of times. This is why I always sit with my back to the door. I also wore nurse tanks under a button up shirt.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jnnfrrose6jnnfrrose6 member
    edited January 2014
    I purposely bought dresses that allowed me to access the girls without having to strip.  That was a fun test in the dressing room.  Gave me more flexibility in my clothing options so I didn't always have to wear pants or a skirt.
  • I purchased a really over-sized, long, cardigan that I plan to keep at work for pumping.  I figure no matter how much i need to strip down I can just throw it on and wrap it around me if I need to cover up quickly. 

• I would return or exchange them. Access to my boobs is one of the criteria for dresses for me. I work in a small office and pump in an empty office with a door with no lock and have been walked in on twice. Definitely glad I wasn't sitting there in my underwear when that happened!

• Ok, this helps! I think a sweater or button down in my bag will help! Half naked is better than all naked! I hate to be limited to only pants since I'll have to buy a size that won't fit in a few months...the dresses I got are my pre-preg size at least. Thanks for everyone's response!
    BFP #1 on 2.13.11, MM/C 04.11.11 @ 12W, 1D
    BFP #2 due on 2.17.12 - Happy Birthday Brooks 2.11.12
    BFP #3 on 11.14.12, M/C 12.3.12 @ 7W, 1D
    BFP #4 due 12.11.13- Happy Birthday Taylor @ 34w, 2d
    - 30w+1- pPROM and hospital bed rest till DD comes

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    My Preemie ticker

image image
  • Yup, no dresses while I was pumping (or nursing). I wore a stretchy cami under all my tops so I could pull the first layer up and the cami down and still be mostly clothed while pumping.
    It's nice to be able to wear dresses again.
  • You can still wear dresses you just need ones with zippers that you can pull down to your waist and a nursing tank. Wrap dresses are also good. I think my favorite dress is my Banana Republic wrap dress. I have my own office that locks but sitting in my chair in my panties is just weird. I always wore a nursing tank and always used a hands free pump bra when I was pumping. I loved the bravado basics tanks from Target because they are sliming, comfortable, and not crazy expensive. I never wore I cardigan while pumping, but I do wear lots of cardigans.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• I would only wear a wrap dress or one that's easy to open or pull halfway down.
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"