January 2014 Moms
Options

Lets talk nipples ladies

For you STM+ of other moms that are a few weeks ahead of me post partum or those that are already feeling better. How long did your nipples hurt if you are or did breast feed? 

My baby is 10 days old and they still kill me. Granted she has a tiny mouth and does squish the end in her mouth and the lactation consultant said it will get better as she gets bigger. Its getting a little old though. Every time I latch her on, and also I constantly need to pull her chin down during every single feeding. I know a lot of ladies bump while feeding but there is no way I can do that otherwise I think my nips would be sucked off. I need my hands to squeeze the tissue into her mouth and pull her chin down. It has gotten worse since my milk is in full force and in because the tissue if firmer now. Also if her hand brushes my nip or the wash cloth in the shower I feel like I will jump through the roof.

So ladies, please tell me this gets better!!!
BFP #1 (7/13/12) MC (8/14) 9 weeks. D & C 8/17.
BFP #2 (5/18/13) due 1/26/14. Grow baby grow!
Its a surprise! Team green!

Re: Lets talk nipples ladies

• Options
    I would like to know this as well! DD is 11 days old and everything you said is the same exact for me.
          Fell in love: Dec 2005 // Married: Feb 9, 2013

Little Miss Rosalie Harper--Born Jan 9th, 2014
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Do you have open wounds on your nipples?  I was having excruciating pain about 8 days pp and finally saw a LC.  Turned out I had open wounds and a bacterial infection due to a poor latch because of a tiny mouthed babe also.  I got some antibiotic cream and a nipple shield to use while healing.  The pain improved in a matter of days, and the shield has been a lifesaver.  We are starting to wean from the shield, but it is nice to know I have it and know how to use it in case I need some relief again.

My understanding is that shields should only be used under the care of an LC though, so be aware!
    Our Baby Girl, Emma, changed our lives forever when she was born 12-19-13 <3
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I put medela cream on after each nursing session. It helped a lot. If worse comes to worst can you hand express & give it to her. I had to do that with my 1st
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It definitely gets better. Right now I'm still having some pain when DS2 initially latches on because he only grabs the tip (he's 10 days old also), but it has gotten so much better over the last couple of days. With DS1 the pain was gone after the first couple of weeks, (3 weeks tops) too.

Also, I've been using the Motherlove nipple cream that @ChuggingWater recommended a couple of weeks back and it is marvelous.
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm glad you like it @moosebaby2011

Hoyt just weaned from the shield four days ago, and now I am in nipple hell again. It changed his latch, I can't see a LC until tomorrow, and it is toe curling pain when he latches. No open wounds, his laycj good to me, but I cried today asking MH if it was going to get any b3tter.
    imageimage
    Baby Chugging born 12.28.13
    induction due to HELLP

• Options
    The stabbing pain lasted just under 2 weeks for me. Latching is still uncomfortable at times, but i no longer want to cry.

• Options
    I agree with the above lanolin advice! Also, mine were torn up because DS had tongue tie. See if your LC or pedi can check for that.
    imageimage
    Mama of boys, Landon (Jan 14) and Harrison (Aug 15).  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    A thick layer of lanolin prior to the shower will help your nipples. It helps the water bead off, also soft shells. Soft shells are hard plastic with a soft disc that circles the nipple, allowing your nipple to be spaced from your bra and air to circulate. They are also used for flat nipples, to reverse pressure pulling the nipple out.
  • Options
    I am right there with all of you! I was in horrible pain last weekend. This week is better. In addition to the lanolin I bought the nipple gel pads. You can put them in the fridge and then put them on, heaven!! I'm 13 days, and they are really feeling better! It will get better!
  • Options
    I am also with you! DD is 11 days old and my nipples have open sores and I have a mastitis, likely from the open sores. I am nursing on the better side and pumping from the other. Also, am applying lanolin like crazy. I hope it gets better soon.
    July 2015 Jan Siggy Challenge: Snow Fails/Funnies

BFP #5 11/15/14, Team Green EDD 7/22/15

BFP #4 4/30/13, baby girl born med-free Jan. 2014

BFP #3 9/24/12, Missed m/c at 9w1d (baby measured 8w5d)

BFP #2 9/23/10, healthy baby girl born med-free June 2011

BFP #1 5/21/10, Missed m/c at 10w4d (baby measured 8wks), D&C 6/29/10

"Life is like a camera, just focus on what's important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don't work out, just take another shot."

• Options
    With my first I remember it being uncomfortable for about three weeks. With my second it was wonderful cause I had just weaned my first a month before and my boobs were still good to go. It does get better though!!
    Alexis 9.1.06 * Jaxson 3.17.08 * Tessa 2.8.14

• Options
    It depends on the gel pads. Some are one time use others 72 hours. Also some have a plastic film you have to remove prior to use. Also don't use lanolin with them bc it breaks them down sooner.
  • Options
    Sorry for the post and run. I ran errands earlier and also fed my baby for a very long. A few times. 

@onbabymaking226 - The tips of my nipples are more so raw. There was a scab on the end and the skin is slightly pealy. I saw a lactation consultant Friday and see them again this Friday. She said my nips didn't look terrible. When I was there Friday they mentioned a shield as well, but I declined it, seems like it would be more of a hassle and my baby latches on great (almost too great) and I don't want her to get used to it and then get her off of it. 

I am using neumans prescription nipple cream. Its a life savor, but they are still sore. I can't imagine what they would be without it. I was using lanolin cream in the beginning, but it was doing nothing for me. My doctor recommended neumans and I am thankful she did. 

@labpupluv - thanks for the advice. The lactation consultant did look at her tongue when I saw her and she said it looked good. 

@jackapatamus - I have heard of those gel pads, thanks for mentioning those. I will have to go buy some. I completely forgot about those.

Thanks for the encouragement ladies!! Hopefully they will be better next week. When I latched her on earlier on the one side it wasn't too bad. Hopefully it keeps up. The other side still sucked but at least the one was a little better
    BFP #1 (7/13/12) MC (8/14) 9 weeks. D & C 8/17.
    BFP #2 (5/18/13) due 1/26/14. Grow baby grow!
    Its a surprise! Team green!

• Options
    esd said:

With DD, I remember the first few weeks (maybe 3?) being pretty rough. And then it finally got better. With DS there were a few rough days by not as bad.

I loved the gel pads. They were so soothing. Also lanolin cream was my favorite. You can also hand express a little milk and let it sit on your nipples and air dry.

This is what I heard in a breastfeeding class that your breastmilk is like a healing liquid. :). Put a little milk on your nipples, I've tried it and it seemed to help

• Options
    My nips are hurting as well and Earth Mamma nipple butter has been a life saver. I found it on amazon and it's all natural and approved by my pedi. Hopefully you get some relief soon :-/

Jaclyn D'Ausilio Jackie D'Ausilio

Married 6.22.12

Baby Oliver Born 1.11.14

• Options
    I'm at 3 weeks pp and it still hurts! It is definitely getting better, but then he will cluster feed for a day and it's hell all over again. I just keep using the lanolin cream and that gives me some relief. When they were really painful I used the Medela gel soothies, but it's over $10 for a pack and can only be used for a day. .
    photo 750f3c1a-2ade-403a-a0f5-dc1db83a8c08_zps3b41b396.jpgphoto 823a6982-64ae-4aeb-8830-c03461e6d517_zps5e065d1f.jpgphoto 53bf98f1-e49e-4c67-acd7-61db3c981d79_zps7cd2176b.jpg
  • Options
    I swear by Nipple Butter made by the First Years...it seemed to work a lot better for me rather than Lansinoh or anything else I tried...very soothing and helped heal the soreness quickly, and like lanolin cream doesn't need to be wiped off before nursing.
  • Options

I'm glad you like it @moosebaby2011

Hoyt just weaned from the shield four days ago, and now I am in nipple hell again. It changed his latch, I can't see a LC until tomorrow, and it is toe curling pain when he latches. No open wounds, his laycj good to me, but I cried today asking MH if it was going to get any b3tter.

@ChuggingWater has your lo been checked for a tongue or lip tie?

@Crunchymama11 Yes, LC mentioned when I first saw her that he has a tiny one. The pain is getting better. I have flat/inverted nips, which was the reason for the use of shield. I went to the BFing clinic today, and be gained 10 oz in a week. The LC said latch looks great, but need to make sure to keep his nose 'buried' and close to prevent pulling on it.
    He has stopped chomping so much now that be is getting used to speedier milk.
    imageimage
    induction due to HELLP

• Options
    Oh, and she told me to alternate positions at feedings, which also seems to be helping.
    imageimage
    induction due to HELLP

• Options
    I've been going in for weighed feeds 2x week.

It is just the initial latch that is painful. I can count to 30 and it has subsided.
    imageimage
    induction due to HELLP

• Options
    MiaMyPuggleMiaMyPuggle member
    edited January 2014
    I had to go to an LC bc my nips were cracked and bleeding. She told me how to have her latch bc DD wasn't getting it. It's like you guide her head (holding the back of her neck) and and putting her bottom lip on first and guiding her head so her whole mouth is around your areola. She has to open up wide and that's when you pop her on there. I tried to be as detailed as I could. My DS just knew and we never had an issue. It takes a good 2 weeks for your nips to toughen up. Good luck.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"