Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How much should newborn sleep?

My infant seems to be sleeping a lot, pretty much all day.  He either wakes up to feed, or I wake him, every three hours and he nurses actively.  He has tons of wet and dirty diapers every day.  He cries when I change his diaper and calms down when the process is done.  Other than these signs of activity, he is basically content in his little cradle and just sleeps, for what seems like 20 hours a day.  At his first pediatric appointment, he got a clean bill of health and had gained all of his birth weight back. He seems healthy, but I was just wondering if his huge amount of sleep is normal.  Any thoughts? 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: How much should newborn sleep?

• Yes, very normal! Newborns sleep about 18-20 hrs/day. They will also sleep more when they are going through growth spurts. When my LO was that age, there were days where he would sleep ALL.DAY.LONG. No worries - as long as he's feeding well and wet/dirty diapers are of normal amount, there's nothing to worry about. Savor it while you can and sleep when you can. My LO is now 10 weeks and he is up and alert SO much more. Doc said it's almost on the verge of abnormal for his age. He's sleeping better at night, but during the day takes 3-4 naps that are on average 60 min in length. So I definitely don't get much done during the day now! :)

**TTC #1 Sep 2009-Feb 2013**   Me: 33 DH: 32 (healthy, SA = normal)

DX (May 2010) = Lap #1 showed Stage I-II endometriosis. HSG normal. Tx with 6 mo Lupron (which did nothing...) Lap #2 June 2011 to remove endo, uterine fibroid, and polyp

IUI #1-#3 (July-Sep 2011): All Clomid 50 mg + unmonitored IUI = All BFN

October 2011 - April 2012: Outta $$$ (no insurance coverage) = back to tryin' on our own

May 2012 - August 2012: Mental break from trying

October 2012: New OB. Bloodwork normal aside from slightly low progesterone

November 2012: IUI #4: Letrozole 2.5 mg + Novarel trigger + monitored IUI + progesterone = BFN

IVF #1: Long Lupron Protocol,Menopur,Follistim, ER = 2/12/13 27R/26M/23F

2/17/13 Transferred 1 perfect Grade 1 blast. 17 frostbabies.

HPT 7dp5dt: BFP!!! Beta #1 9dp5dt: 108 Beta #2 11dp5dt: 368

U/S #1 3/21: Heartbeat and one perfect bean!!  DS born 11/6/13 via c-section

TTC #2 March - August 2015 = all BFNs

Prep for FET #1: Aug 2015: found "mass" in uterus on saline sonogram; scheduled a hysteroscopy to remove. 

Sept 2015: Hysteroscopy: mass turned out to be scar tissue(?), all removed. Recheck saline sonogram 2 weeks later showed "stuff" still in uterus (more scar tissue? remnants from surgery? Will see if clears with a period). Recheck saline sonogram 1 week later: all clear! Start Lupron and Estrace. Follow up u/s 2 weeks later: uterine lining only 5mm, add in patches. Follow up u/s 1 week later: uterine lining = 4.3mm (argh!), stop estrace and patches and start estradiol injections twice/week. Follow up u/s 2 weeks later: uterine lining = 5mm :/ Instructed to keep on estradiol injections and recheck in 5 days = lining still at 5mm. Need to make a decision - go for it? Or toss in the towel w/ this cycle and start all over again next year with a new protocol. Decided to go for it as we had 17 frosties; what have we got to lose?? 

12/2/15 = transferred 1 perfect Grade B blast

12/9/15 = HPT - BFP!!!!

Beta #1 12/11/15: 236    Beta #2  12/14/15: 503   Please stick little one!!!!

U/S scheduled for week of 1/4/16

Daisypath Anniversary tickers  
  • I asked this same question at about this time. Now at 6 weeks old it's the complete opposite! Ha. Enjoy it:)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO has been a sleeper since the beginning. He is 3 months now and still only stays awake for a few hours a day.

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"