December 2012 Moms
Options

Switching antibiotics? Opinions while waiting for lunch to be over...

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: Switching antibiotics? Opinions while waiting for lunch to be over...

• Options
    Morgan finished a 7 day course of antibiotics for her ear infection and it didn't clear up at all, so we are now on, basically a z-pak but a liquid one.  It's stronger and I hope it kicks the crap out of this ear infection.  We switched mid course when she was 1 1/2 months old because whatever the hospital gave her she may have been allergic to.  She was on two different antibiotics at that time so we aren't sure which one it was. But she was fine, just had a bit of loose poop after that but nothing too bad.  

We have not had to switch mid course recently so I can't say what would happen now but if you are concerned I would try to get in to see the doctor first, before just getting a new medicine.

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

• Options
    For DD's last (only) ear infection, they didn't give us antibiotics and said that it would clear on its own within the week.  We went in on Monday and by Thursday noticed that it better enough that she was acting normally again.  If it's not getting better, maybe another one would work better?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    JessAnnJJessAnnJ member
    edited January 2014
    We were on 4 different antibiotics for an ear infection that still didn't totally clear. Amoxicillin didn't seem to help and she developed a rash after taking cefdinir. The z-pack was the fourth. We changed mid course twice. We went to see an ENT doctor and he said most ear infections are viral but pediatricians prescribe antibiotics anyway. He also said they will generally clear out on their own. He told us we are not risking permanent damage by letting her body work through it so that is what we decided to do. The problem is that with her getting one cold after another her ears never drain.

After all this my general opinion is that antibiotics are over prescribed and I will not be giving antibiotics for an ear infection again unless she develops a high fever.

Edit to add - If it were me I would want to take her in to have her ears checked before switching an antibiotic because I thought it wasn't working. Like you said there could be other things going on.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"