Working Moms

Anyone travel for work

Tell me how you deal, how long do you travel? Considering a great opportunity but travel would be about 40%

Re: Anyone travel for work

• It depends on what travel means. Do they mean travel on the road everyday, or is the territory large and you would have to have overnights. I "travel" and I think it said 50% travel but I usually only travel in state so I am home every night. About 2-4 times a year I do overnights for a few days but it is really nice to have a hotel room alone, for a few nights. I would apply for the job and ask more questions. 
  • I do. A lot. I often go several weeks in a row where I'm gone at least one night per week. DH does great. My trips are usually 1-2 nights, and I do everything in my power not to be gone more than that.

Frankly I think it's harder on me than either DH or DD. I'm expecting #2 and I'm a bit worried about DH wrestling 2 alone. I'm lucky that I have some control over my schedule and my bosses are very understanding about why I need to keep trips short.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am doing a lot of travel right now due to the project I am working on. Last year it was averaging 1 trip a month that was for 2-4nights a way. But, since Nov. it has increasedand now thru March I will be gone basically every week. I travel within driving distance (about 4hrs) from home. I leave Monday's or Tuesday's and get home Thursday evenings around 7-7:30.

In reality it is harder on me then DH or DD, but I still do my best to set them up for success every week. I make sure to do the laundry, and cook meals, and put together DD's outfits for the week, and discuss her and DHs schedule before I leave. It is very helpful for us that my parents watch DD during the day so if DH has to go in very early, or stay late at work while I am gone, he has some flexibility with drop off and pick up. DH's parents are also local and more than willing to pitch in if he needs some extra help for some  reason.

One thing we are doing differently then we normally would (due to my traveling) is hiring someone to do snow removal this winter. Usually DH handles it, but logistically he can't do it when I am not there since someone needs to be with DD.

We have fallen into a pretty good routine and I Facetime with DH & DD before her bedtime and that is the BEST part of my day. DD is only 20months so seeing me is so much better than just hearing me on the phone for both of us. Last night she spontaneously waved buy-buy and blew me kisses after we sang her "Good Night" song. It as great!

• I do but it's listed as 10% on my job description.  It goes in spurts.  I have one night in San Fran first week of Feb and then one night in Colorado first week of March.  Hoping I get a break for a good 3 months but we'll see.  I couldn't handle overnight travel regularly - and neither could my poor DH!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• MommyAtty said:
    I do. A lot. I often go several weeks in a row where I'm gone at least one night per week. DH does great. My trips are usually 1-2 nights, and I do everything in my power not to be gone more than that. Frankly I think it's harder on me than either DH or DD. I'm expecting #2 and I'm a bit worried about DH wrestling 2 alone. I'm lucky that I have some control over my schedule and my bosses are very understanding about why I need to keep trips short.

Exactly this. Also expecting #2 and concerned about DH on his own with two - we may hire someone to help him on evenings I'm gone.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • DiveFrogDiveFrog member
    edited January 2014
    L12541 said:
    MommyAtty said:
    I do. A lot. I often go several weeks in a row where I'm gone at least one night per week. DH does great. My trips are usually 1-2 nights, and I do everything in my power not to be gone more than that. Frankly I think it's harder on me than either DH or DD. I'm expecting #2 and I'm a bit worried about DH wrestling 2 alone. I'm lucky that I have some control over my schedule and my bosses are very understanding about why I need to keep trips short.

Exactly this. Also expecting #2 and concerned about DH on his own with two - we may hire someone to help him on evenings I'm gone.
    I have to say, for me personally I didn't feel comfortable with overnight travel for more than 1 night at a time before DD was weaned at 15months. And I did a few very long days to make sure I wasn't gone for even 1 night. When I did have to make a few longer trips before DD was 15months I took her and my Mom with me so that I could continue our nursing/pumping schedule. And, so that I could continue our nighttime routine since she wasn't sleeping thru the night. My decisions may have been different had she not been such a high needs baby, but it worked out well for us.
  • @DiveFrog. That's a good example of why this is such a case-by-case call (like all things parenthood). For medical reasons, breast feeding went nowhere with us, and my kiddo slept thru the night from the very beginning. I still didn't travel overnight the first 5-6 months, and my bosses were cool with that. But long days were normal. Flying from DFW to Seattle and back in a day is brutal!
  • MommyAtty said:
    @DiveFrog. That's a good example of why this is such a case-by-case call (like all things parenthood). For medical reasons, breast feeding went nowhere with us, and my kiddo slept thru the night from the very beginning. I still didn't travel overnight the first 5-6 months, and my bosses were cool with that. But long days were normal. Flying from DFW to Seattle and back in a day is brutal!

Wow, I do San Diego to Seattle and back in a day and I thought that was bad :)

I also only EBF during my maternity leave and DD slept 11 hours straight every night starting at 3 months, so my experience was more like @MommyAtty than @DiveFrog.  But agreed that a lot depends on the baby.

BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"