High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Help me prepare-long

I hope it's ok I post over here. My pregnancy is a bit complicated. I am trying to prepare for my doctor appointment on Wednesday. I tend to get overwhelmed and forget what I want to say and ask.

A little background. I'll be 20 weeks tomorrow. A couple weeks ago I had some bleeding along with tons if pressure and tightness in my belly. Dr had me come in for an exam. He noticed baby is super low and my cervix was soft. He was concerned about my cervix shortening or there not being enough fluid. I had an ultrasound and my cervical length was 3cm and there was plenty of fluid. Dr did another check and my cervix was still soft but closed.

They had me come in on Friday for a follow up. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I was having an intense amount of pressure, cramping and tightness. When I described what was happening doctor told me I'm having contractions (which I suspected). When she checked my cervix she noticed that the outside of my cervix is dilated to a one but the inside is still closed.

On Wednesday I have my a/s and they are measuring my cervix again. The doctor mentioned the possibility of going on progesterone supplements to help either stop my cervix from continuing to shorten/dilate or even reverse whatever is going on. But she wanted to see what is going on on the ultrasound first.

I mentioned this on my BMB and someone mentioned a cerclage. I hadn't thought of that. So I am asking about that. What else should I ask? Is there anything else I should bring up or be concerned about?

Thanks for the advice. And I'm sorry this was so long!
 TTC#1 Since April 2011 
BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
BFP #2 10.1.13
EDD June 10, 2014
imageimageimage

Re: Help me prepare-long

• Options
    I have no advise :( but will keep my fingers crosses for ya.
  • Options

Definitely ask about the cerclage - I'm not sure if your doctor will choose to go that route, but at least have the conversation.  Ask about what sort of activities you should be doing and/or avoiding, such as heavy lifting, staying off your feet, pelvic rest, etc.  Perhaps ask what their thoughts are on bed rest down the road.  I also would want to know how often I'd be coming back for follow-ups and what symptoms to watch out for.  Are you going to see an MFM? 

Keep us posted after your a/s.  Good luck! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Definitely ask about the cerclage - I'm not sure if your doctor will choose to go that route, but at least have the conversation.  Ask about what sort of activities you should be doing and/or avoiding, such as heavy lifting, staying off your feet, pelvic rest, etc.  Perhaps ask what their thoughts are on bed rest down the road.  I also would want to know how often I'd be coming back for follow-ups and what symptoms to watch out for.  Are you going to see an MFM? 

Keep us posted after your a/s.  Good luck! 

Thanks! We discussed a little bit about bed rest. Since I have a mostly stress free job that requires me to sit most the day, they aren't putting me on bed rest..yet. She said that if things continue this way or progress I will be going on bed rest, but they will decide more after the a/s. I was also wondering if I should see an MFM, I need to add that to the list. 

I appreciate your input! 
     TTC#1 Since April 2011 
    BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
    BFP #2 10.1.13
    EDD June 10, 2014
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    bcnoellebcnoelle member
    edited January 2014
    I had a cerclage at 19 weeks, so I would ask about what the benefits of having one could be...a few more weeks down the road and you're no longer a candidate. See why you may or may not be a candidate now. I'd also play it safe and refrain from sex or any orgasms- as they can create contractions. Perhaps see if you should be on weeky transvaginal checks to measure your cervical length. If it continues to go down you may want to restrict more activity. There's also something called a pessary that might help if a cerclage is not an option. Good luck at your appointment!
  • Options
    Thanks. I am already on pelvic rest. I will look into the pessary
     TTC#1 Since April 2011 
    BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
    BFP #2 10.1.13
    EDD June 10, 2014
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    bcnoellebcnoelle member
    edited January 2014
    How did your appointment go? Edit: I guess it's tomorrow!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"