January 2013 Moms
Options

gagging and smacking

i know someone here posted about their lo gagging themselves, but i can't find the post...
apparently this is now something dd has decided to do, and loves to stick her finger down her throat...usually while we're eating....yesterday at the diner was the first time she spit up from it....and dh said when he got to the dc this morning, she was covered in spit up, so she might have done it again in the car...this is something babies do, right? i'm not sure how to handle it
she has also started to smack herself and poke herself in the head....and we tell her no (for this and the gagging) and pull her hand away....but sometimes i feel like she does it because it gets a reaction out of us...like when she bites me...she usually giggles at my reaction of pain and fear of her....
oh and she apparently is now getting into separation anxiety...yay
i know this is all typical baby behavior, right? but still concerns me....i can't imagine it's to get our attention, we probably pay too much attention to her....
any suggestions? the gagging has been going on for the last couple of weeks or so, and the smacking has been going on since like friday...

thanks
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: gagging and smacking

• Options
    I'm so glad you posted this! DD hasn't tried the gagging thing, but she has been smacking herself in the head. I was actually going to ask her pedi at her appt on Thurs. I was worried her head was hurting. I've never really seen any other babies do it before, but she will repeatedly smack herself in the side or top of the head. I've been telling her no, moving her hand away and saying "easy," hoping it would make her stop. Obviously I have no solution or advice, but I'm glad we aren't the only one!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DD gags herself in her her high chair if she thinks she's being ignored. I try to redirect with food or I will do something silly to distract. It's all about redirecting.
    Our little Samosa arrives in January!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I posted about DS making himself throwup a while back and he still does it from time to time when he feels he's not getting enough attention. Whenever he starts to do it we clap our hands or play peek-a-boo with our hands over our eyes trying to get him to mimic us.
  • Options
    we try the redirecting, but unfortunately, last night at the diner i didn't see it happening and this morning she was in the car seat....which is why this was the only 2 times she ended up spitting up...normally we catch her in time...
    i can't see why she would be doing it for attention...but we will keep with the redirecting....
    i hope it ends soon...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My LO never did the gagging thing, but he did have a little phase of head banging.  When he gets frustrated or if I take something away from him, he has a tantrum and hits his head on the floor.  Sometimes he really hit himself hard, and even left a small bruise!!!! At first, I stopped him and told him no. Apparently he enjoyed the attention and started doing it more, I have since ignored him, and he no longer does it.  

These babies aren't dumb ladies, they know what they are doing, and they have us wrapped around their little fingers!! haha.

BFP#1 -3/18/12- M/C 3/31/12,
    BFP#2 -4/25/12, Beta#1 17dpo= 800, Beta#2 20dpo= 3800, Ethan James born 1-5-13

BFP#3- February 2015- natural miscarriage

BFP#4- June 2015- Ruptured ectopic, severe hemorrhage and loss of left tube on 7/10/2015

BFP#5- 12/18/15

• Options
    So happy to see this! DD hasn't gagged herself, but I remember my nephew use to do that. But for a few weeks now DD has been smacking herself on the head, not out of anger, she's smiling or laughing while doing it. She likes to hit herself, for a couple months now she'll take a hard toy and just bang it against her leg over and over. Also when she throws her fits she's banged her head on the floor and even left a bruise like PP.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DD hits herself on the head and pulls at her hair.  I asked the Dr. at her 1 yr appt and the dr said it was normal/common.  We haven't had the gagging yet. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"