Potty Training

Just turned 4 and we're still in pull ups

So I'm pulling my hair out! I feel like I need to remind DS (4yr) to try and use his potty (we've got a portable one right in front of the tv). If I don't hound him to check every 30 minutes after each meal, he will not go. In a very very blue moon he will suddenly say that he has to go, BUT that is when DH is promising a gift of something sweet or a toy if he uses the potty. (But most of the time I'm feel like I'm only one helping DS learn how to use the potty)... and now I'm wondering... is he just not ready? MIL claims that "he's 4 yrs old! He's ready or he'll be too old for preschool" [:p]

Anyone in the same boat? Should I just toss the pull ups and go for training pants?  I try not to get angry or make a big deal when he goes go in his pull ups because sometimes I get the feeling that he uses that to test my nerves.
IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Just turned 4 and we're still in pull ups

• We only ever used pull ups at night...mainly because we didn't want to be doing tons of laundry.  Other than that, when we PT, the kids are in underwear.  If we had them in pullups, I think they would use it like a diaper.  We also never used potty's.  They always went to the bathroom and used the regular toilet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Pull-Ups hamper progress. Put your child in underwear. This will guaranteed get his attention if he goes pee in his pants. He will not like the wet feeling and will stop peeing and notify you. Don't get upset. Calmly take him to the bathroom. I put my sons' underwear in his bottom drawer so that he could easily grab another pair. Your goal is to transfer the potty responsibility to your child. if he happened to poop in his underwear, I just threw them out. I never washed a poopy pair of underwear. And I didn't get upset with him, either. Just make it a non-issue. Seriously. Try underwear for a day and see the difference.
  • Loading the player...
  • My son is almost 3 1/2, same boat as you.  I have no suggestions, but just wanted to say I'm right there with ya!

I seriously can't stand the, "geez, your kid is still in diapers?"  I'd like to say, "STFU...how about you come deal with the potty training then."
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• I think pull-ups are so much like diapers and kids know it. At his age your son is old enough to understand where he needs to go potty so he is probably just being defiant. I would recommend you get rid of all diapers cold turkey and introduce consequences when he pees or poops in his pants. For example, if he is playing with a certain toy and doesn't tell you he has to go and this results in an accident then I would take away the toy and explain he can get it back when he starts telling you he needs to go potty.
  • I am in the same boat. My son just turned 4 and still using pull ups. I tried underwear (ninja turtle to hopefully trigger interest) and he just peed and pooped right in them. He will sometimes say he has to go potty and will and at that time I reward him with a sticker and a small marshmallow. Flushing his own poop down the toilet and attempting to wipe himself does not gross him out he just does it and then poops in his pants again. We have never had success with poop. I also can not leave him in underwear all the time because we have therapy 3 times a week and he rides a bus to preschool. I feel the same way about ripping my hair out, all I can say is I am right there with you! 

BabyFruit Ticker

• With pull ups he's not feeling the ucky feeling of peeing in his pants. Sounds like he can perfectly fine when it's benefiting him (Toys or Sweets) Throw away the pull ups and let him have an accident in his clothes. He's not going to want to feel that and may decided the potty is actually best whether he's getting a treat or not.

Not being rude.. But, at 4 years old... He knows better. He's just choosing not to bother.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker    
  • Don't toss the pull-ups, you'll still need them at night. But i wouldn't be using them during the day. Put him in underwear. It will be messy for a bit but he'll learn faster then with pull-ups. I look at pull-ups as another form of diapers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"