Health & Exercise

What helped YOU get lean, toned, with curves

I want to get lean, toned, and I have curves so I would like to keep them in a healthy attractive way. I'm 5'3 1/2" tall. I've always been pretty toned before baby but weighed around 150 at a size 5. I blame it on the big appetite. I used to workout with heavy weights and lots of cardio. What worked for you? Weights/no weights, lots/little cardio, etc.. I'm 4 months pp. I'm at my pre pregnancy weight but lost muscle and my waist is driving me nuts. It's not shrinking fast enough. Give me or direct me to some good advice please ladies. TIA :)

Re: What helped YOU get lean, toned, with curves

• High Intensity Interval Training - https://www.bodyrock.tv and https://www.dailyhiit.com/ worked for me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image  image
    BFP 5/08/13 -- EDD 1/15/14 -- slow hb@7wks d&c 6/07/13
    BFP 8/12/13 -- EDD 4/20/14 -- no fetal pole @7wksnatural m/c 9/16/13, cytotec 10/17 & 10/22
    BFP 11/26/13 -- EDD 8/07/14 -- Born 7/24/14!
  • Thank you mdarmetko. Those workouts really look like they work
  • Loading the player...
  • I have arm day and leg day.

Arm day is lots of weights- jump rope- burpees- tabata intervals in between sets. Also abs.

Leg day- I will start with cardio- either bike (spin bike, not the one with the lounge chair on it- haha) eliptical or run a mile- then lots of squats in the squat rack and lunges!
  • I crossfitted during pregnancy and afterwards. At 6 months pp I'm at my pre preggo weight but with ALOT more muscle tone (actually starting to see me ab definition). So crossfitting with heavy weights (I try and lift as heavy as possible) combined with running really keeps me lean. I crossfit 5x a week, do an Olympic specific lifting class and run probably...10-15 miles a week (4 mile run on the weekends and 2-3 miles before/after class to train for a Tough mudder)
    BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • Try coach kozack on youtube befor body rock tv.
  • Power yoga and interval workouts (speedwork).  I've been a runner for 15 years and while steady state running is my favorite way to exercise, it only keeps me in shape (doesn't contribute to losing weight or making me leaner).  

To drop weight and change my shape, I have to do power yoga 2-3 times a week and do high intensity interval workouts.  I do my high intensity workouts at a track and they range from 400s to 800s to mile repeats.  Usually 3-4 miles of work plus 2 miles warm-up and cool down. 

• Crossfit plus running works for me
  • At least now I know of some exercises to do after I have my baby :) very interesting and I'm glad I know what to do.
  • lift heavy, HIIT workouts, and easting clean.
  • CrossFit CrossFit Crossfit, 4-5x/week
  • Tracy anderson's method...she promotes creating a tiny body but I never lost my curves while following her workout program!

• kdc2007 said:
    I just started working out with a trainer to build my muscle and core back. I'm doing 15 min of core/strength work 2-3 times a week and 30-45 of cardio 5-6 times a week. I've been doing the core work for just over 10 days and I already feel better (stronger and fitter). 
    the trainer doesn't have you doing any weights?  If not how come?
  • Lynnja616Lynnja616 member
    edited January 2014

Weights- heavy

Cardio- running, cycling, and swimming (triathlon training- sprint and Olympic distance)

Hot vinyasa yoga

eating clean- little to no processed food.  I don't limit or cut out any food groups (carbs, fat, sugar, dairy, grains, etc) but if it is comes from a box/can/bag/package, I usually don't eat it.  That being said, I'm an 80/20 girl who LOVES food and to eat.  Generally speaking 80% of the time I eat super clean and 20% of the time are indulgences/treats- but even those I for the most part am smart about.

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimageimage

• A nice mix of both weights and cardio. Never ever underestimate the power of lifting, I think most people who just do elliptical are skinny-fat (not that there is anything wrong with that- i just think you miss out on some big benefits of exercise when you skip weight training). Your workout should have squats, lunges, push ups, pull ups, big basic movements. Curves and muscle are SEXY, good for you for wanting to maintain!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"