April 2014 Moms
Options

Which Ergo?

I have a Moby that I used all the time with my daughter, but I've heard so much talk of the Ergo with newborn insert that I want to look into finding one affordably. Which ergo is it that everyone loves so much. I don't know if weather affects the decision (as it did with some carriers I looked at), but I'm in south Louisiana so it is ridiculously hot and humid here, if it matters. Thanks in advance!

Re: Which Ergo?

• Options
    We are looking at the "sports" one because its hot and humid here too. However ergo are releasing a new carrier that you can face baby out as well as in. Due out in April! We are still getting the sport one but thought I'd mention the other
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • Options
    Thanks for the help ladies! Great advice!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What is supposed to be so great about the Ergo?
  • Options
    We have the Ergo Sport and love it. It's in a neutral grey colour, so DH wears it all the time as well :) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I just bought the Ergo Performance. First baby coming in April so I haven't used it yet, but looks like it will be great for the hot weather area we live in. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    KHendy27KHendy27 member
    edited January 2014
    We have had our Ergo sport for 4 years and love it.  The thing that makes it hot is in the infant insert.  It's really not necessary.  I started wearing my babies in it at a week old.  I just used an A&A and did a loose swaddle and placed them in.  
  • Options
    I bought the ergo, and newborn insert is NO problem for the cool weather here. Just wondering how long you use the newborn insert for? (I could go look it up, I know.)
    BabyFruit Ticker mean_girls_35345
  • Options
    KimC85 said:
    I bought the ergo, and newborn insert is NO problem for the cool weather here. Just wondering how long you use the newborn insert for? (I could go look it up, I know.)
    I was going to just wait for the answer with you, but apparently its super easy to find.  Infant insert is for 7-12lbs.
    Really my moby should suffice for as long as we would need the insert for, so I don't think I'll bother with the insert.
    hehe...nice!! I'm just wondering about going to Atlanta in late August to visit my parents. I imagine he'll be out of the newborn insert by then, right? (man, FTM, CLUELESS!!!)
    BabyFruit Ticker mean_girls_35345
  • Options
    The Ergo is nice bacause it distributes a lot of the weight to your hips, but yes it is hot with the insert. DS got a heat rash from it in December and he was just dressed in cotton. If you get a light color and wait till baby doesn't need the insert you should be good.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    With our nb last time I didn't buy the newborn insert- baby just went right in, legs and all. I rolled a blanket and put it under her bum so that all of her weight wasn't on her legs.
  • Options
    I'm in Alabama where it's super hot too, and I opted for the K'Tan original when my LO is a newborn. I didn't like the feel of the mesh inside the breeze -- it didn't feel as stretchy or secure.
  • Options
    Lovelife14 described and just rolled a receiving blanket under her LO's bum until she was big enough.  I will probably do that this time.  Anyhow - two thumbs up for Ergo sport.  It's really lightweight, comfortable and all of baby's weight is on your hips and not your back.  I should say that my husband still likes the Bjorn because DD can face out and he's much stronger than me so it doesn't hurt his back like it does mine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The ergo is very comfy, easy to adjust, can be used on very small infants and up to a decent sized toddler. Has a hood for covert/less distracted BFing. It is hot in the summer here where it's 110 starting in early spring and I put DD in it naked to do yard work. It is expensive, though not the most expensive carrier I've seen. I got a great deal on it at Costco and my mom found the matching infant insert online. Going to find DD a matching Ergo dolly carrier so she can be like mommy when her sister gets here.
  • Options
    I have a Moby that I used for my daughter. How does an ergo or k'tan compare to a Moby?
  • Options
    If you liked the moby, I would try a ring sling such as a Maya Wrap. Perfect for newborn-6 months (or beyond but as they get heavier you probably want to move to an Ergo, Beco or Boba or a mei tai). The nice thing about the ring sling is that it has a lot less fabric than the Moby and you can even put it on one handed while holding the baby in you other arm once you get the hang of it. You can also discreetly nurse in it as you can with a Moby. I have an ergo too and while I tried to find a way to nurse in it, it was by no means discreet.
  • Options

If you liked the moby, I would try a ring sling such as a Maya Wrap. Perfect for newborn-6 months (or beyond but as they get heavier you probably want to move to an Ergo, Beco or Boba or a mei tai). The nice thing about the ring sling is that it has a lot less fabric than the Moby and you can even put it on one handed while holding the baby in you other arm once you get the hang of it. You can also discreetly nurse in it as you can with a Moby. I have an ergo too and while I tried to find a way to nurse in it, it was by no means discreet.

@kristin720 --one of the features I liked about the moby was the versatility to face her out (which is all she wanted). Which ones of what you listed will best allow for that? I agree, though, that at some point the weight gets too much to comfortably wear a moby.
  • Options
    The Beco Gemini and some mei tais such as infantino allow for forwards facing carries. However a forward facing carry isn't really recommended for optimal spinal column development of the baby and supposedly changes the center of gravity/comfort for the mom. However you are the mom and you know yourself and baby the best and I haven't heard of any real life cases of later walking, etc due to forward facing carries. I just started with an Ergo and ring sling and my son would turn his head from side to side to look around so he never knew any different.
  • Options
    Glad I looked at this thread! I'm in NC where the summers are hot. I had already registered for the original Ergo, but went ahead and added a lighter colored k'tan to use during the summer months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"