LGBT Parenting
Options

Babies don't come easy, eh?

Hi, Ladies!

I haven't been posting for a while, though I have been reading a little bit.  Seems like my DW and I are just right in the middle of the difficulty of making a baby and I feel like sharing.  I hope that's okay.

As some of you know, I carried our first "together" baby and it took one medicated, triggered cycle with our KD's sperm.  Last May or so we started on the path to getting another baby.  DW has not had the easiest go of it.  She had fibroids removed, then four medicated, triggered IUIs.  Each time our sperm count has gone down, so it seems like vials don't like being in storage, or maybe it is all just coincidental with how they were ordered/pulled in storage.  So we have been using 2 vials for each of those four cycles.  After all that (and with only four vials left), we discussed IVF with the RE, who thinks that is the best route.

So now she has been on BC for a couple weeks, planning to retrieve on Feb. 19th.  The transfer would take place about 10 days before a very important, long-awaited and very stressful two week work trip that is all the way across the country.  So after talking to the IVF coordinator today and us thinking about the very real possibility that DW would be all alone while giving herself progesterone and finding out she isn't pregnant (which would require a blood test, and how the heck she would get that in another city), or that she would be all hopped up on drugs while she is trying to do a very important career training just became too much.

So we decided to wait until she gets back.  We are mostly doing okay with all the ups and downs, and are pretty darn supportive, but sometimes we get frazzled and snippy.  

I'm really sad that it is so hard for her to have a baby.  It's all she ever wanted.  Lots of women experience these setbacks and challenges, so it isn't an issue of fairness or unfairness: it is just hard to face everyday and not know how in the world it will work out.  

We know we have two darling children all ready, which is an amazing, wonderful thing.  I just want her to have this very badly and sometimes I worry that it won't happen the way I wish it could.  If the IVF fails, I know we will do a frozen transfer for her at least once.  If that fails, I feel like I'll probably carry the baby.  I just have a funny feeling it will just stick like glue to me and that makes me sad, too, because I know she will mourn her "failings."  

She's a good mom.  I know however we get the next baby it will be some challenges and some surprises and it will all work out like it is meant to.  She has a great ability to have a good cry and then jump right up and be positive, pragmatic and very thankful.  

Anyway, I just needed to share with some folks who get it.  Thanks for reading.

CageyMack
37, married to my favorite person in the world, DW! One darling surfer-girl (12) and one darling, sweet boy born 3/16/13.

5/2013 Started TTC #3, DW's turn: 5/2013: Diagnostics (shg) and surgery (polyp rem.) for best chances. July-Oct: IUI # 1-4, medicated, monitored, triggered.  All BFN. IVF in Jan May. Sheesh. Whoop! IVF#1 cycle started 4/2/14. 5/1: 19 eggs retrieved, 8 matured, ICSI'd.  4 fertilized.   Only 2 to transfer/freeze stage. 5/6: Two embryos transferred. 5/15: Beta #1 9dp5dt is 134! BFP! 5/19: Beta #2 13dp5dt is 672! B'erFP! 5/21: Beta #3 15dp5dt is 1853.  Yay!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Things separate from their stories have no meaning. They are only shapes. Of a certain size and color. A certain weight. When their meaning has become lost to us they no longer have even a name. The story on the other hand can never be lost from its place in the world for it is that place.” ― Cormac McCarthy, The Crossing

Re: Babies don't come easy, eh?

• Options

I'm sorry that #3 has been a difficult road.  You're always welcome to share here. 

I have no experience with IVF, but I know the decision to take that road doesn't come easily and it usually means that difficulty has paved the way.  Canceling any cycle, whether it be IUI, IVF, at home insem, etc., is disappointing.  It means another month without the possibility of a BFP and there isn't much you can do about it.  We can't speed up mother nature. 

I'm glad you have a plan to move forward.  It sounds like you are very supportive of each other and that is essential.  I hope that when you do get to move forward with your IVF cycle, that it will be the end of your journey to #3. 

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• Options
    I am sorry to hear about your wife's troubles and completely understand. It is wonderful that you are so supportive! Best wishes to you both

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married to M and proud mothers to Olivia and Elise (8/19/2014) and to our fur-babies: Capone (pitbull), Jax and Atticus (cats)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry it hasn't been an easy road for your wife.  I can absolutely sympathize.  If all goes well with my current pregnancy, he'll be born almost exactly 3 years from when we started TTC -- and that's without taking any significant breaks in the process.  It's so frustrating, especially when it can be so easy for others.  It feels unfair.  But so many people have success with IVF, myself included -- hopefully you won't have to wait long before your wife is barefoot and pregnant! :)
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"