Babies: 9 - 12 Months

peanut butter?

At the last pedi appointment I was told to give my 9 month old anything we were eating, I forgot to ask specifically about peanut butter and have read a number of articles saying that it's okay. Is anyone giving their little one peanut butter? Neither my family or husband's has peanut allergies.

Re: peanut butter?

• I started giving DD eggs and PB around 9 months. Like you, neither of us our families have any history of allergies. We gave them to her in the morning and at home so we could observe if she had any reactions.

The AAP actually doesn't recommend holding off and waiting on things like shellfish, PB and eggs anymore. They think waiting to introduce foods could be the cause of allergies; NOT that people introduce them too early.

""No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside."
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    "On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered "Life will never be the same." Because there had never been anyone like you... ever in the world." ~ Nancy Tillman Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We gave it around 7 months.  She loved it.  Especially when daddy makes her toast as the peanut butter is thicker than the bread (and leads to a bath).

Research supports giving peanut butter early unless there is an immediate allergy concern.

• Loading the player...
  • Our pediatrician wants us to wait until a year, but then she said try some on her skin, if she doesn't react, put it on her lips, and if she still doesn't react, then feed it to her.
  • I actually just read to hold off on peanut butter because of it's stickiness and it being more difficult to swallow.  The reading material is what our pedi hands out at well child visits.  She has a different one for each WC visit.  I will probably hold off a couple more months.  She has lots of other foods she's having fun with.  
  • tig594 said:
    I actually just read to hold off on peanut butter because of it's stickiness and it being more difficult to swallow.  The reading material is what our pedi hands out at well child visits.  She has a different one for each WC visit.  I will probably hold off a couple more months.  She has lots of other foods she's having fun with.  

We just waited til DS was doing pretty well with most foods for the sticky/choking concern. And when I put it on toast, I just make sure it's not too thick.
  • Our pedi. told us that PB was ok at 9 months.  I haven't given DS any PB on crackers yet b/c of the stickiness, but I have tried giving him food with PB in it (he especially love's his Dad's PB Captain Crunch!).

• cbelle1231cbelle1231 member
    edited January 2014
    Our pedi said small tastes are fine as long as we watch. Not bc of allergies because of the tongue sticking in the mouth and throat. Once they are used to it then it is fine.
  • I gave pb around 7 months.  started with the tiniest little bit on toast.  never had a reaction.  I gave eggs around then too, but then not until 10 months.  At 10 months he had a reaction to them.  still no problem with pb.
    *** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • I did both peanut butter (on toast) and eggs around 7 months. So far no problems here.....
  • Thanks so much for the responses! I'm going to put some on his lips as a trial and if that goes well I'll introduce a small amount at a time. I'm feeling good about this, thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"