December 2013 Moms

Baby sign

Is anyone going to do baby sign language? Have you started yet ? If your a STM and have done this how long did it take for your LO to catch on ? I think I'm going to start with a few things like mom, dad, milk and play. Just curiouse about everyone else .

Re: Baby sign

• We were thinking about it :) Mr.MM was in to the idea because he trained in ASL for teaching. We haven't started yet though, I'll be stalking this thread to see what others say hehe.
    BFP#1 9/28/2012 - EDD 6/3/2013 - MMC discovered 11/21/2012 @ 12w2d - D&C 11/24/2012
    BFP#2 4/4/2013 - Born at 37w3d on 11/26/13 via emergency c-section
    Loving our beautiful rainbow baby boy Archer!

~*All AL Welcome*~
  • I went to a baby sign website and they didn't specify . I would think as early as possible. Just don't go crazy with to many signs
  • Loading the player...
  • Is this something you can do on you own at home? Or do you need to take a class or follow a book?
  • I'm considering it but will use ASL. Some baby sign language programs made up their own signs.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I started when DS1 was 3months. I did mom, dad, milk, more, all done. I think it took about a month for him to understand but didn't start signing back until he was about 5 or 6 months. I think. Momnesia gets the best of me sometimes lol
  • I would like to. I watched a YouTube video that said 6 months. But if I could start earlier that would be great.
  • We did it with DS1. I think we started doing the signs when he was a few months old. He signed back for the first time around 8 months. It was very helpful. We'll do it again this time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I def want to follow ASL. I don't know why people wouldn't . That's just silly
  • We will be doing it. Probably starting around 6 months, with milk, eat, please, more, and all done. I've used baby signs as a teacher and a nanny and they have been life savers. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I started at. 9 months with my kids but 6 would be even better. At 9 mos he caught on fast and was talking around the same time. Both my boys were conversational by 15 months which was awesome and made life so much easier. I credit the sign language
  • So if they start to just sign and at least attempt to make a sound or word you should keep on with it. But if they don't speak or at least try to should you stop all together? Stop for a day or two? I'm assuming not speaking while signing doesn't happen that often or people wouldn't attempt it in fear of there child being delayed in speech development ( because we don't want them to just sign we need them to speak )
  • In my experience a sound came with the sign
  • @pink flamingo
    It depends on the age of the child. Most of the time, for example, if you say "Are you done?" while signing DONE, the kid might sign and just say "d d d" which is good. Unless they are 4, but at that point, they would probably be in speech therapy anyway. If you are saying the word and they are vocalizing, 99% of the time the language will come eventually. Also, something that helps is when they do say, "d d d," you say, "Oh, all DONE." That way they hear the word said correctly again.

Me: 31 | DH: 33

DS1: 12.23.13 | DS2: 05.06.16

BFP: 06.30.19 | EDD: 3.9.20

**TW**
    TTC3: 11.18
    BFP: 02.05.19
    CP: 03.07.19
    *really traumatic recovery*

• I'm going to start it once she's awake more during the day, I worked in daycare and we taught it and I really thought it was useful when the toddlers were trying to tell you what they wanted but couldn't verbally tell you. I will only be doing the most common, please,thank you, eat, drink, more, and diaper change. They all picked it up very fast especially during feeding times.
  • mh89mh89 member
    edited January 2014
    I started a little under a year with dd1 and she picked it up so quickly. She knew so many words and was able to communicate her needs easily without getting frustrated. We kind of let it slide once she started talking more and now she doesn't remember any words in sign (she's 3). It's definitely something you need to keep up with to retain.

I took a baby sign class that was fun, but you can learn on your own too - there's a really good baby sign language app for the iPhone. I can't remember its name but it was $2.99.

Eta - I think it's called My Smart Hands.
    image image

• At my school we start around 4-6 months and do milk, more, eat, please, thank you and the one they catch on to first is usually more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"