Babies: 9 - 12 Months

car seats and accidents question

After making another driver slam on the brakes yesterday (other driver was trying to run a stop sign), and knowing that if she had not stopped we would have collided at my front passenger side.  Ds2 was in his car seat behind my seat.  I don't think the impact would have sent either ds or I to the hospital by ambulance but it got me thinking.  

Since you shouldn't use a car seat that has been in an accident, how do you leave the scene of an accident?  If the car involved is drivable, do you continue driving and hope you are not in two accidents in one day?  What happens if the car is not drivable?

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook

Re: car seats and accidents question

• Your car seat manual will say. Graco for example requires replacement after ANY accident. It doesn't matter if the seat of occupied or not, the seat is still compromised. Other seats like Britax follow the NHTSA guideline.

I'd get home right away, contact my insurance about a replacement, then find someone to watch my kids while I got new seats.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • If you're in an accident that renders the car unusable, any seat you had in there would need replacing.  It wouldn't be safe to take that seat out and put it in another car to get home - you'd truly need to have someone bring you a new seat.  If you're in a minor accidents, most seats require replacing but some do not (like Britax).  If you had a seat that didn't require replacing you could obviously drive home with it.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"