Minnesota Babies
Options

Woodbury Daycare Help!

I'm from out-of-state and I want to go back to work but finding affordable daycare is really hard up here. I don't want to go back to work if i'm going to spending my entire paycheck for the daycare...it's just not worth it. Can anyone tell me why it's so expensive up here and if there's one thats less than $200 a week for full-time infant care? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kalinda

Re: Woodbury Daycare Help!

• Options
    I live in Woodbury, and yes, day care here seems to be more expensive than in other parts of the metro. It doesn't help that MN is one of the most expensive states in the country for child care. I think Woodbury as a whole is a somewhat affluent suburb, so they can get away with charging more. We only looked at centers, so $200/week for a full-time infant seems dirt cheap to me! But I have seen discussions on this board where others have found that in other suburbs in the metro area.

Assuming you work in a different part of the metro, maybe you could look at options closer to work instead of closer to home? In hindsight, I wish we would have also considered that option.
  • Options
    I live on the Eastside of St. Paul and we pay $145 a month for full time infant care in a home daycare.  You're paying a premium for looking in Woodbury, I'm afraid.  Come on over to the Eastside - our providers have the same standards but cost less.  :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @wittyschaffy & @auroraloo where did you find your E side providers?  I'm really hesitant to just cold call people and all the moms I know are SAH.
  • Options
    I used www.thinksmall.org to find a list of licensed providers based on my personal search qualifications (5 miles from home or in Roseville which is halfway between DH's work and mine).  We lucked out that a provider we'd been eyeing 2 blocks from home had an opening!  The list helped us narrow down who to call because some had hours of operation that didn't jive with our schedules or didn't have infant openings until after we needed to start.  I thought it was really helpful!

• Options
    @auroraloo - You're not too far from me - we're just a few blocks south of Lake Phalen.
  • Options
    @auroraloo - do you have contact info for Claudia? We're looking for options in woodbury and would love to get in touch with her!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"