Military Families

Recruiting question

My husband will be going to the Army's recruiting course in the near future and we'll be PCSing shortly after he gets back.  We recently got a battalion assignment and will probably be getting a pin point assignment in the next few weeks.  It would be nice if it was before he left, but I'm won't count on it.  Either way, what I'm wondering is if anyone knows how BAH is figured?  Is it based on that pin point assignment or on battalion?  Thank you!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Recruiting question

• It's based on where he is actually working. Example: my husband is a Marine Corps recruiter attached to Recruting Station Portland, OR. His actual office he works in is in Corvallis, OR. We receive BAH for Corvallis, OR.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Yep, it's figured based on the zip-code of where the military member's actual work-place is. It's not necessarily where his/her military unit is or even the nearest base .
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Okay, outstanding, that helps a lot!  Thank you ladies!
  • Erin1510 said:

It's based on where he is actually working. Example: my husband is a Marine Corps recruiter attached to Recruting Station Portland, OR. His actual office he works in is in Corvallis, OR. We receive BAH for Corvallis, OR.

Hey, I don't know how big your RSS is, but for MH's, this would be very identifying info. Not sure if you want to leave it out there. :)
    I've seen a lot of military surprise homecomings. It wouldn't work on me. I always have my back to the corner and my face to the door. Looking for terrorists, criminals, various other threats, and husbands.
  • Yep based on his office location. Welcome to recruiting!!

BFP 1/4/2014 EDD September 14 2014

• Thank you much, ladies!  Hopefully we'll be finding that out soon, but either way we're pretty happy his batt assignment is within a couple hours of most of our family so they will get to be a bigger part of our kids' lives.  :D
  • Erin1510Erin1510 member
    edited January 2014

Erin1510 said:

It's based on where he is actually working. Example: my husband is a Marine Corps recruiter attached to Recruting Station Portland, OR. His actual office he works in is in Corvallis, OR. We receive BAH for Corvallis, OR.

Hey, I don't know how big your RSS is, but for MH's, this would be very identifying info. Not sure if you want to leave it out there. :)

As an FYI - roughly several thousand people between Oregon, southwestern Washington, and Alaska know my husband's name, work location, and phone number. It's been his job to give out this info for almost 3 years now so he can put them into the Marine Corps.

Edited by Mod

BabyFruit Ticker

• kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    edited January 2014
    Erin1510 said:
    As an FYI - roughly several thousand people between Oregon, southwestern Washington, and Alaska know my husband's name, work location, and phone number. It's been his job to give out this info for almost 3 years now so he can put them into the Marine Corps. As a side note - if you know anyone in college or a recent grad looking into officer options, feel free to give them his number ***-***-****
    As an OC in the Army, no. Lol. If you're down to have that info out (and it's clear you both are) then KOKO. I just know that I wouldn't want my online persona to connect to MH as a recruiter. Is your H an OSA? I worked with an OSO for a long long time. In the end it didn't work out and I'm really excited about the branch I'm becoming an officer in now, as I think the mission is a better fit for me as the MC returns to its amphibious roots. But the MC OSO I worked with was a really great group of Marines, and they certainly helped me become a better Soldier than I would have been had I never worked with them at all. 
    I've seen a lot of military surprise homecomings. It wouldn't work on me. I always have my back to the corner and my face to the door. Looking for terrorists, criminals, various other threats, and husbands.
    edited January 2014

Erin1510 said:

Erin1510 said:

As an FYI - roughly several thousand people between Oregon, southwestern Washington, and Alaska know my husband's name, work location, and phone number. It's been his job to give out this info for almost 3 years now so he can put them into the Marine Corps.

Edited by Mod.

As an OC in the Army, no. Lol. If you're down to have that info out (and it's clear you both are) then KOKO. I just know that I wouldn't want my online persona to connect to MH as a recruiter. Is your H an OSA? I worked with an OSO for a long long time. In the end it didn't work out and I'm really excited about the branch I'm becoming an officer in now, as I think the mission is a better fit for me as the MC returns to its amphibious roots. But the MC OSO I worked with was a really great group of Marines, and they certainly helped me become a better Soldier than I would have been had I never worked with them at all. 

Whatever floats your boat.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• This whole thing is strange to me, with the phone number. 
      It's a girl!! EDD 2/28/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
    edited January 2014
    This whole thing is strange to me, with the phone number. 
    After I read what had been written to my husband, he got a kick out of it because there is absolutely NO security threat what-so-ever with the information I have shared. Having people know the town I live in and the town he works is in not a security risk. I have not shared any amount of PII (personally identifiable information) that, used in any combination, in any way compromises our personal security.

Further, giving his government leash number (his suggestion to add to the sarcasm) was a tongue-in-cheek snarky response on my part because, as I stated, it has been his job for almost 3 years to share his name (which I didn't even give out), his work address, and his phone number, all of which are public information available on a simple Google search for Marine Corps recruiters in Oregon. 

So yeah...there is NO risk what-so-ever for me to have shared anything that I did. People get all sorts of uptight about potential PERSEC/OPSEC slips, when in fact nothing that I shared violates any of that. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I wasn't being uptight, simply pointing out that was identifying information. Sometimes people, myself included, get comfy on these boards and forget that it's not the safest place. I also know @BLT20051 (can we tag here now?) is pretty hardcore about PERSEC being a SM herself. When you said you didn't care, well, I said something nice about Officer Selections Assistants and you got snarky. That's exactly the kind of thing I personally wouldn't want connected to either my job or my spouse's job. Even though I'd AC for my spouse IRL all day long, I certainly wouldn't use TB to do so. Too many crazy people here. You clearly don't mind either of those things, so KOKO. 
  • Erin1510 said:
    After I read what had been written to my husband, he got a kick out of it because there is absolutely NO security threat what-so-ever with the information I have shared. Having people know the town I live in and the town he works is in not a security risk. I have not shared any amount of PII (personally identifiable information) that, used in any combination, in any way compromises our personal security.

Further, giving his government leash number (his suggestion to add to the sarcasm) was a tongue-in-cheek snarky response on my part because, as I stated, it has been his job for almost 3 years to share his name (which I didn't even give out), his work address, and his phone number, all of which are public information available on a simple Google search for Marine Corps recruiters in Oregon. 

You don't think someone could figure out his name, and then your name really easily just from this thread? I think they could. But again, if you're good with that, well, good to go. 
  • Erin1510 said:

You don't think someone could figure out his name, and then your name really easily just from this thread? I think they could. But again, if you're good with that, well, good to go. 
    You're missing the point entirely...HIS NAME IS NOT A SECURITY LEAK! It is PUBLIC information on the internet. I fail to see how any of this is in violation of PERSEC. His name and picture are readily available. Hell, he is REQUIRED by MCRC to have a public Facebook page for recruiting efforts. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Erin1510 said:
    Erin1510 said:

You're missing the point entirely...HIS NAME IS NOT A SECURITY LEAK! It is PUBLIC information on the internet. I fail to see how any of this is in violation of PERSEC. His name and picture are readily available. Hell, he is REQUIRED by MCRC to have a public Facebook page for recruiting efforts. 

It is. Even if you don't think so, it is. Regardless I have edited your post with his phone number because it violated The Bumps TOU for both soliciting and posting indentifying information.  Please refer to the TOU here https://www.thebump.com/terms.html.  If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

CJ 05/29/2013

• IrishcurlsIrishcurls member
    edited January 2014
    Erin1510 said:

So yeah...there is NO risk what-so-ever for me to have shared anything that I did. People get all sorts of uptight about potential PERSEC/OPSEC slips, when in fact nothing that I shared violates any of that. 
    Yeah, got it. You don't think it's strange. And you don't think it's PERSEC. I'm just commenting on my feelings about it. I think you're sort of missing the point--it's not that he's not searchable on the internet. It's that he shouldn't be searchable on TB, per the TOS. ETA: Not to mention the fact that there are legit crazies around here. I shudder to think about giving a phone number to anyone, USMC requirements or not. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just don't understand why anyone would want to risk it. But I also think the "half my heart is in XYZ country" stickers are a bad idea so maybe I'm just paranoid. 

CJ 05/29/2013

• Its not his personal number people, its a government cell phone. But I understand it violates rules so no worries on the edit (plus it was tongue in cheek anyway, I wasn't seriously soliciting for officer candidates on a pregnancy site on my husband's behalf). 

That said...I have no worries about someone potentially finding out when I am home, alone or otherwise. He doesn't post things like that on his  work FB, and neither do I on my personal. His work FB isn't connected to either of our personals, and neither of our personal FBs are searchable even if they could figure out my last name. AND I always carry a loaded gun whenever I leave the house, or have one sitting right by my at home. If some crazy wants to enter my home, well, they do so at their own risk. This chick doesn't fire warning shots. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• ::facepalm::

Why is this face palm worthy? Honestly.

I have been part of a military spouses forum for 7 years and have seen some crazy shit on there. This barely registers on the scale of "what the fuck did I just read" if ya ask me.

I guess we just don't understand each other here. I'm feeling like I've misjudged and misunderstood.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• If you were misjudged or misunderstood it's because I very nicely pointed out something, not sure if you were comfortable or not, and rather than saying, "Yup, I'm cool with it", you got snarky. 

As for the loaded gun making you feel safe, well, I hope you'd do what you can to avoid being forced to discharge your weapon rather than say, come at me, I'm ready!
  • Someone with their head so far up their ass that they don't think PERSEC is being violated when they post their husband's work number after stating where they live and what they do? Yeah, that's pretty WTF. And a big part of the facepalm was for the "Well I have a gun so it's ok for me to do this". Oy. 

Look at the post count vs the view on this post. You have no idea how many lurkers are out there and what their intents are. And you gave identifying information. Good job. Apparently you haven't had to sit through the death by Powerpoint on this stuff. You need to. 

Like BLT, I take this seriously and so does my spouse. We both bitched out his sisters and mom for plastering our house in yellow ribbons while we were at the going away ceremony for his last deployment. It's all over the news and you decked out a house in yellow ribbons. Not hard to put together.

Actually, as both a family readiness assistant and a LINKS/LifeSkills mentor I have sat through death by PowerPoint on this type of thing many times, hence why I am comfortable sharing this information.

On the several occasions my husband has deployed, I never shared any information or even talked about it on FB or any other public forum. There were certainly no signs or yellow ribbons at my house. So thanks. I'm not ignorant to dangers.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Give up the attitude man. Geezus, maybe you're educated about it but some young, scared wife comes on here and thinks we're all sharing shit. Stan was just mentioning in case you happened to type without thinking of the consequences, and you just won't give it a rest.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"