Multiples
Options

Second Shower with Twins

I'm just curious if any of you who have older children and then got pregnant with multiples had a second baby shower. A new friend of mine who didn't get to go to my shower with DD wants to throw me one since we're having two this time. DD is still little and we have pretty much everything still, but now we'll need extras of pretty much everything. I also like the idea of celebrating my successful pregnancy with twins, if that makes sense! It would also be small. I had only one shower with DD and it wasn't anything crazy, but it was still wonderful. :)

Sorry if this has been asked a bunch or is offensive (I know second showers/sprinkles can piss people off), I'm just wondering if other moms have been in the same situation. I've always heard having a second shower tends to be less frowned upon with twins than a singleton.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Second Shower with Twins

• Options
    My mom and cousin are throwing one for us. Was supposed to be a surprise but then I got put on bed rest. Felt a lil weird about it since we have a 3 and 1.5 yr old but at the same time there is a lot of stuff we still need since twins so I'm grateful and getting excited for it.

POS+April 2009-M/c May 2009, POS+July 2009-M/c Aug 2009, POS+ Novemeber 2009 -Baby Boy Charlie DOB 07/06/2010, POS+July 2011-M/c and D&C Aug 2011, POS+Dec 2011 -Baby Boy Ethan DOB 07/27/2012, POS+Aug 2013-TWIN BOYS! Jack and Miles born March 23rd 2014!!

">image
  • Options
    I don't see a problem with a shower/sprinkle for twins personally, just because even if you saved things from previous pregnancies you probably don't have enough of anything. I saved some things from DD but also gave things away to friends and family as they got pregnant when she outgrew things. None of my friends or family have mentioned throwing me a shower, and that's completely fine, but I definitely wouldn't turn one down if it was offered.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My friends threw me a shower, but it was more of a party (co-ed, barbecue, beer/wine, etc.) with gifts optional. A bunch of people pitched in to get me a gift certificate for a postpartum doula who specializes in multiples. It was perfect. I think a lot depends on the local etiquette rules of your community and friends/family. Most of my friends have some sort of low-key casual get-together to celebrate with the mom.

TTC #2 since July 2010
    FSH = 11 (20 on day 10 of CCCT)/ AMH = .98 / AFC=12ish
    5 IUI's with oral meds = all BFN
    March 2012 IVF (MDL Protocol) Started stims 3/3; ER 3/11 (9R, 8M, 7F) ET 3/16 (5dt of 2 blasts graded 3AB and 3BA, 3 frosties(!!) Beta 3/26 = 386; Beta 3/28 = 827; u/s 4/11 says TWINS! Boy/Girl Twins delivered at 36 weeks 6 days

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We didn't have a shower for the twins. My MIL offered, but it would have been difficult logistically so we nixed the whole thing.

Everyone was more than generous after the babies were born.

• Options
    pillowass said:
    My friends threw me a shower, but it was more of a party (co-ed, barbecue, beer/wine, etc.) with gifts optional. A bunch of people pitched in to get me a gift certificate for a postpartum doula who specializes in multiples. It was perfect. I think a lot depends on the local etiquette rules of your community and friends/family. Most of my friends have some sort of low-key casual get-together to celebrate with the mom.
    This kind of thing sounds best. I wanted something low-key, if anything. It's totally not normal in our circle, so I'm hoping people don't see me as greedy, but someone's offering so I hope people don't judge me (I tend to care what others think way too much).
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    MrsLee04 said:
    A shower is really intended for 1st time parents only (a welcoming into parenthood) so etiquette-wise you don't get anymore.  These days it does seem to depend on what is normal in your circle, so you can consider that while deciding.  Personally, I don't attend second showers (although I've rarely known anyone having one) and if my twins had been subsequent children I would've graciously turned down any shower offers. 
    all of this- I don't attend second showers.  I usually bring by a gift after baby is born- that to me welcoming/celebrating the new child(ren).
  • Options
    I personally don't have an opinion either way but maybe, since you are on bed rest, you could just have a shower/party after they are born.  Then you might get to have more fun and have it be more of a meet the babies/welcome the babies thing.  Just a thought :)

Evelyn & Jocelyn   9/19/2013
  • Options
    We're not having a shower, but we're registering so we can get all the coupons and the "registry completion" discounts ;)
  • Options

My sisters are throwing me a diaper shower.  I am too feeling a little wierd about it but know it will help us out a lot and most family and friends want to help in some way.   If I wasn't having twins I wouldn't be having a second shower. 

• Options
    I had one, but also live in a different area from when I had my kids, a friend offered to throw one (didn't ask for one), and there is an 8 year gap between my second son and the twins. There will be some things you'll probably want two of to register for, but I focused a lot on the fun part and not the presents and kept it pretty small. Have fun!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't see a problem with having a shower for a second successful pregnancy! That could also be because I am a second born. ;)

I think of it more as a welcome for the new babies than anything else: so waiting until they're born and you know more of what you need may be more helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"