Attachment Parenting

17-mo-old will only self soothe in my empty bed

My husband and I are wanting to transition away from co-sleeping but my son wakes 3-4 times per night and wants to nurse. It's so difficult to get him and put him back in his own bed, that we have been keeping him in bed after the first night-wake. I know, I know - I should just suck it up and put him back to bed. The problem is that in my night-stupor I don't have the sense to do so, and I usually fall back asleep while he is nursing still.

When he wakes in his bed (in our room) he sits up and starts grunting/crying. When he is in bed with me, he wiggles over and grabs his "baa-baa". I've recently noticed that if he is in my bed alone (DH and I are not in the room at all) he will make some noises then go back to sleep 90% of the time!

The only thing I could think of is to put him to sleep in my bed and then me and DH sleep on the couch for awhile with hopes of him learning to STTN before trying his bed again! This doesn't sound very appealing, but we will try it if necessary.

CIO and weaning are not options we will consider, any other suggestions to get our bed back? My back is killing me every morning sleeping with this little monkey, and the pain is wearing me down.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 17-mo-old will only self soothe in my empty bed

• Is his bed big enough that you fit comfortably there with him? Could you move to his bed when he wakes instead of bringing him into your bed? 

And don't worry; you won't get any suggestions to wean or CIO on this board. You're in good company. ;)
    imageimage
  • I agree with PP.  Put a mattress on the floor in his room and you can go sleep with him...over time, after nursing him just get up and move to your bed so you spend less and less of the night with him.

It gets him comfortable in his room, in his bed with you at his side.

I spend most if not all the night on the floor bed with my 10month old.  I'm way to lazy to get and move myself down the hall.  But, when I get less lazy it will be an easy enough thing to do as she is very comfy in her bed, even on her own.

• Loading the player...
  • Twin mattress of his own. My older son moved into his own bed around two, and started sleeping great. It's worth a try!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"