June 2014 Moms
Options

Gender at 18 weeks

I had my anatomy scan at 18 weeks and they said it is a girl! I am really excited but also super nervous because they will not do another ultrasound unless medically necessary. I am so paranoid that it was too early and the baby will actually be a boy. Every time I buy anything girly it's in the back of my mind that it could be wrong. Is anyone else experiencing this? Does anyone know if it is accurate enough at 18 weeks to not worry about it?

Re: Gender at 18 weeks

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had an elective u/s at 18 weeks but my a/s will be at 20 weeks so I'll get another confirmation. The tech told me that she was absolutely sure it's a girl and could tell within the first few seconds. 

Unless the boy parts were hiding somewhere or will grow in the next 2 weeks I would think the 18 week read is pretty accurate.

That being said - we have not announced it's a girl yet until we get the second confirmation :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                      DH and I in front of our first house - Aug 2013
  • Options
    I was told confidently girl at 16weeks and had another scan at 18.5 weeks. Still girl. I think they can definitely tell at 18w.

TTC #1 4/09-3/10, dx PCOS, 5th round clomid BFP 3/27/10, Nolan Lee, 11/13/10, PROM 36 weeks
    TTC #2 6/12-3/13, natural BFP 3/24/13, TWINS
    MC first twin at 11weeks, MC/preterm labor second twin, DD at 15weeks, 6/7/13
    BFP 9/21/13, EDD 6/5/13!!  It's a GIRL

SHE'S HERE!  Scarlett Christine, 5/19/14

• Options
    I would trust the professional at 18 weeks. Sure, they could be wrong, but at that point it is very unlikely.
  • Options
    If you're that paranoid you can wait a few weeks and do an elective u/s. Maybe hearing it twice and seeing her later on an u/s will ease your mind.
  • Options
    My a/s is next Monday and I'll be 18 weeks. OB gave me a timeframe to get it and I'm trusting his professional opinion.
  • Options
    See if there are any schools around you that offer this. We have a tech school in our area that with the ultrasound program. Once per pregnancy you can go in for free & have a student practice doing an ultrasound on you. If you bring in a blank disk they will also save & store different pictures for you :)
  • Options
    Of course, a negative nancy who has to post there's other discussions about this.
    Do an elective ultrasound in a Des weeks to ease you mind :) but I'd say congrats on your little girl!
  • Options
    My opinion. If you see the title and know it's about an anatomy scan then don't read it. It seems like so many point out all the other discussions instead of just letting someone ask their question. We wouldn't even need our own month board if we didn't all want to take turns asking and answering questions, we could look at years prior since I'm sure they have all been asked and answered before.
  • Options
    flerlgirlflerlgirl member
    edited January 2014
    My opinion. If you see the title and know it's about an anatomy scan then don't read it. It seems like so many point out all the other discussions instead of just letting someone ask their question. We wouldn't even need our own month board if we didn't all want to take turns asking and answering questions, we could look at years prior since I'm sure they have all been asked and answered before.
    But also look at the question itself - she wants to know if we know more than a professional ultrasound technician. I'm not mad at her; I don't think she should be burned at the stake or anything. But how in the world am I supposed to tell her anything if she doesn't believe the professionals who already told her? By reading the thread that was linked she might actually find the answer to her question and get some reassurance that an 18 week scan is very accurate. 

edit: holy typos, Batman

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Options
    Read247 said:

We already have an a/s thread that has 55 posts on it. If every single one of those women decided to be attention whores we could have pages of nothing but sex announcements. And wasn't it you who said: 
    Happy Tuesday. You read my mind with some posts. I'm all for sharing stories/asking questions, but I am annoyed by women asking questions that their doctor already answered!
    In Luna's post. Well the doctor and u/s tech have already answered her question AND there is already a DAILY post created especially for us to announce our a/s results so this post is redundant. Get off your high horse sweetheart.

• Options
    My husband and I took an epic road trip to KY/OH a few years ago, and one of our crazy stops was at the Great Lakes Science Center in Cleveland.  In addition to an exhibit on Darwin, we happened across an exhibit that showed the progression of ultrasounds from decades ago, and it was amazing how much the clarity and detail has improved over time.

So I'm not surprised that we have a few tales of mistaken sex identification, although to be told girl and discover a boy - that's much more likely than to be told boy and discover the baby has a vagina at birth.

To the OP - you can either trust your trained medical professionals, or you can always do an elective u/s later on.  They wouldn't have told you the sex of the baby if they weren't sure.  They'd probably do what my sonographer and perinatologist did at 15 weeks - tell me what they'd put money on, not that it IS GOING TO BE x or y.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Chat!                       General Cloth Diaper Information          
  • Options
    The techs know what they are doing and 18 weeks is the perfect time to find out the sex!
  • Options
    18 weeks is definitely at a gestation point where it would be accurate. With DD#1, we were told she was a girl at 17 weeks, and I never questioned it. If you need a second opinion, maybe look into an elective ultrasound a few weeks down the road, but I think it's safe for you to start buying ruffles and bows! :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (uREA)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"