Parenting after a Loss
Options

Taking 7 week old on road trip (seeking advice)~wifey

Ladies, I have kept my little guy pretty sheltered since he was born 11/27 due to a huge flu and pertussis outbreak in TX. We need to take a two day drive to PA to meet his grandpa before he passes from terminal cancer (my FIL). I am a first time Mom, so I have no clue what to expect. I am BFing, pumping a little, and supplementing. DH and I will spend the first night at his sister's, take a day off, then continue to PA. Any tips, advice, thoughts, on how to make this trip as successful as possible. Saying goodbye to my dear FIL will be difficult enough, and I want to do everything I can to keep my wee guy as happy as possible. Overall he is pretty chill, he lets me know when he is wet or hungry. I'm all ears my friends.

imageimage

Me:41/ lean PCOS, 2 clotting disorders, IC/ DH:41~ TTC since 1/11
Clomid 50mg,100mg,150mg | Injectables + IUI#1 & IUI#2= BFN
IVF#1~ 8/2012~ 13 frosties~ BFP! OHSS
12/4/12 Luke & Kyle born @ 18 weeks
SHG+ Hysteroscopy+ FET= BFP | Cerclage+ Lovenox+ 5m Bed Rest
~Our wee guy is here! 11/27/13~

PAL January Siggy Challenge~ Good Advice

Re: Taking 7 week old on road trip (seeking advice)~wifey

• Options

So sorry to hear about your FIL.  ((Hugs))

I bought a car adapter that basically has a real outlet on it.  I sat in the back next to DD and was able to plug in my pump while DH drove.  We made sure to time our trip so that she was ready for sleep when we got in the car.  For us, that meant leaving 2 hours after she woke up.  After 2 hrs of being awake, she fell asleep almost immediately.  We also did a bath before the drive to help her relax.

I also use the overnight diapers when we do roadtrips.  We still stop to change her when she needs it, but I figured those had to be more comfortable in case there wasn't a place to stop.  I brought a cooler and ice for the pumped milk.  Also pump wipes since I wasn't able to wash parts right after using them.  We use a water filter at home, but I needed a gallon jug of water for formula bottles too.  I hope that info helps.

*** aka: andreahshields ***

*** July Siggy Challenge - Cake Wrecks ***

BFP#1 3/8/12; diagnosed w/ Anencephaly at 12w6d; D&C 5/9/12
    BFP#2 7/18/12; A/S 10/26/12 It's a Girl! EDD 3/29/13
    Phoebe Jordan Born 3/20/13

imageimage
  • Options
    mkc5869 said:
    I'm so sorry that you are having to say goodbye to your FIL.  That is such a difficult situation.  ((HUGS))

We took a 6 hour road trip when DD was 8 weeks old and it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting!  I know that is not anywhere close to 2 days but I thought I would start with that!  I was bfing and pumping a little as well.  I found that she slept for the first 4 hours and then we stopped food and gas and I fed her.  After that she slept a little longer and eventually got kind of fussy so I got in the back seat with her and entertained her.  Overall it was pretty low stress.  I would recommend just stopping and letting all of you stretch your legs every so often.  Good luck!

Oh, I will add that one time DD woke up and was really hungry right when we got stuck in stop and go rush hour traffic.  We couldn't get off the road and I wasn't going to take her out of the car seat so I actually just leaned in and let her nurse in the car seat.  I wasn't comfortable for me but it worked.  I have since bought a car charger for my pump so that I can just give her a bottle but if worse comes to worse....

Thank you! And yes, I need to be mindful of when we arrive in STL at rush hour, great point! Nursed in the car? Limber mama! ;)

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    kklamb10 said:
    I'm so sorry to hear about your FIL! Don't stress about traveling with a LO it's much easier than you think. We took Z to visit my family for Thanksgiving (about a 7 hour drive) and he was just over a month old at the time. I was EPing and bottle feeding and it worked really well in the car. I sat in the back so I could feed Z a bottle when he was hungry. I also had a car adapter for my pump so I was able to pump while we drove. I wore my pump bra (sports bra with holes cut in it) under a nursing cami. I would just flip the nursing cami open and attach the pump. I wore breast pads under the nursing cami so my nipples weren't sticking out of the holes the rest of the time.

We packed a bunch of snacks and sandwiches so we only had to stop for gas and for Z. After he ate we'd stop so we could burp him and change his diaper. I found that with the passenger seat pushed all the way forward I could lay Z in the backseat and kind of squat on the floorboards to change him.  We drive an SUV so this may or may not be possible for everyone. It was cold and I couldn't change him with the door open. A lot of places don't have a changing station in the bathroom and even if they did I was picky about where I would change him. Don't be nervous about changing him or feeding him in public. Sure you might get some strange looks but I learned very quickly taking care of my child is way more important than what strangers think! I've BF during a hockey game and changed a diaper in a booth at a restaurant. You do what you need to do!

As far as staying with others I'd try to keep the nighttime routine as much the same so you do at home. For example if you have music playing or swaddle. Z had a rough first night because at home we would play the music from his swing while he slept. DH ended up finding a lullaby channel on Pandora and we played that on one of our phones.

Sorry for the book! I know how stressed out I was about traveling at Thanksgiving but it ended up being much easier than I thought. He slept most of the drive and did great the rest of the time.If you have any specific questions just ask!

We were wondering where to change him, great idea for an SUV since it will be cold. Sticking to his nighttime routine at my SIL's is a good idea, I can have everything except his crib! We plan on packing our food as well. I will let you know if something comes up as I get things together on Friday.( leaving early Sunday)

imageimage

• Options

So sorry to hear about your FIL.  ((Hugs))

I bought a car adapter that basically has a real outlet on it.  I sat in the back next to DD and was able to plug in my pump while DH drove.  We made sure to time our trip so that she was ready for sleep when we got in the car.  For us, that meant leaving 2 hours after she woke up.  After 2 hrs of being awake, she fell asleep almost immediately.  We also did a bath before the drive to help her relax.

I also use the overnight diapers when we do roadtrips.  We still stop to change her when she needs it, but I figured those had to be more comfortable in case there wasn't a place to stop.  I brought a cooler and ice for the pumped milk.  Also pump wipes since I wasn't able to wash parts right after using them.  We use a water filter at home, but I needed a gallon jug of water for formula bottles too.  I hope that info helps.

Ooooh yes, I forgot to pick up an adapter! I noticed that the pump slows down with batteries. I did not even think about how I would clean the pump. Thank you!

imageimage

• Options
    I've totally only been lurking lately! 
    We've taken a few 6+ hour long trips in the past 6 months. The first was at 8 weeks. I sat in the back (we have a honda civic and another equally small car) with DS.  We cloth diaper, but after that first trip we use disposables in the car.

What I do.
    1. For diaper changes: skip hop pronto changing pad with diapers, wipes & an extra onesie.  I found this was the EASIEST to use in rest stops/gas stations as there are usually not hooks near the changing tables, and this was the easiest to carry in with him.  If you have them... I suggest using a cloth diaper cover over the disposable.  Changing a total blowout in a public restroom in the middle of nowhere is not fun (although you bond with all the women in the restroom who commiserate with you while they embarrass their teenagers with their own war stories). I wish I had used a cover... that would have helped! Instead, I had to give him a mini-bath with wipes (HOW can poop get all the way to their toes? really??) I have changed him on my lap, too.
    2. Clothes. Fleece sleepers/cotton sleepers if it's warmer out. Easier than losing socks/pants/etc when changing him in the rest stops! Carry him in under a blanket/our coats/etc. I make sure I have 2 changes of clothes in the backseat with me (diaper bag usually).  Bonus with fleece... if you use the zippered ones and you do have a blowout... it won't leak through to the car seat & onto you.
    3. I have water/gatorade for me & granola bars/other snacks.  
    4. The boppy makes an EXCELLENT head pillow for you.
    5. The first 3 trips I used my medela hand pump in the car.  Like others suggested, I used the wipes to wash it in between.  The first two trips I brought 2 or 3 filled bottles in the car.   The last trip I only brought 1. That was stressful. I was pumping or feeding the entire trip.  I then used batteries for my real pump... and the last leg of the last trip was stress free!!
    6. Toys on hand.  First trip we just had a stuffed monkey, a car seat hanging toy (the bright starts sensory giraffe), and wubanubs.  Later trips, we have a few little things with lights that I bring out towards the end of the trip.
    7. Toiletries, etc.  I had a little cosmetic bag with tylenol, saline, nose frieda, hand wipes & a few other things in the back seat as well.   We traveled right after his 2 month & 4 month shots... so I was happy to have these things!
    8. bibs, burp cloths, receiving blankets. I brought 2-3 of each in the back seat with us. definitely needed!

Depending on how long you are staying/how late you are arriving... we've found it easiest if we pack a bag or two to take in for the first night.  So when you make that first stop you don't need to unpack the entire car, just a couple of bags.  That will limit what you might forget the next day when you are packing up! 

Depending on if he spits up/etc... you may need to plan to do laundry for all of you.  We used little nalgene bottles & ziplock twist & lock container to transport detergent (CD detergent & our regular detergent). 

For our first trip... We planned on stopping every 2-3 hours.  He went on a bottle strike during that first trip, so I had to nurse rather than bottle feed which took longer. He sleeps well in the car.  On both legs of that trip we tried to drive a little further than we should have before we stopped to feed him.  Made us ALL miserable.   One of the times, he woke up & started crying as soon as we passed a rest stop... just after I said "no, we don't need to stop yet, he's still sleeping".  It had been 3 hours & we should have just stopped!!

For our 2nd trip (3.5 months)... we had to leave earlier than we anticipated for a similar reason that you are.  It was shortly after I started back to work, and I just couldn't take off that Friday. I got home, packed, we ate, I fed him, DH loaded up the car... and we ended up leaving close to his bed time. We drove the whole 5.5 hours without stopping to my mom's.  Actually, we stopped once for gas & that's it. We are lucky in that he mostly sleeps through the night (although not so much while traveling!).

We brought the rock & play & had him sleep in that the first trip (when he was 8 weeks).  That was great.  He boycotted the pack & play we had at my mom's for the 2nd trip.  Got used to it the 3rd trip. Then boycotted the Baby Bjorn travel crib at my ILs, then slept great in the pack & play again at my mom's. 

Good luck- and I'm sorry you have to travel for a sad reason :(
    TTC since Feb 2012. Me: 39, DH: 37
    BFP #1 5/27/12- m/c 7/9/12 @ 10w2d (cytotec induced @11w).
    Fibroids, Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism
    BFP #2 11/18/12  EDD 7/27/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    One more tip.  If you need to stop, try to stop at an exit that has 3 or 4 gas stations versus just 1 gas station.  If there are 3 or 4, chances are they will be competing with each other. & one will be nice!  Flying Js were good, the rest stops in Ohio are nice (on the turnpike).  The PA turnpike has nice rest stops as well.   The "trucker" type of gas stations that have showers & such were the best ones we stopped at!
    TTC since Feb 2012. Me: 39, DH: 37
    BFP #1 5/27/12- m/c 7/9/12 @ 10w2d (cytotec induced @11w).
    Fibroids, Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism
    BFP #2 11/18/12  EDD 7/27/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Babystoli- thanks for your time, that's a lot of great info! I left a 14 year career due to excessive travel so I could have my son, but when it comes to traveling with my little guy, it is a whole different world! Huge learning curve... :D

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"