Nurseries and Baby Gear

Breast Pump Brand

hammysmommyhammysmommy member
edited December 2013 in Nurseries and Baby Gear
Trying to decide which brand of electric double-breast pump to ask for...

If you have a clear/easy to explain reason for one brand over another, that would be great to have as a comment :-)
formerly skoczera
~s.h.
38 y.o. w/PCOS

F14 October Siggy Challenge - Animals in Costume
...image...

August Siggy Challenge-Rainbows & Unicorns

March 10, 2014 - G was born

Lilypie First Birthday tickers    Anniversary       

Breast Pump Brand 118 votes

Medela Freestyle
16% 20 votes
Medela Pump In Style
40% 48 votes
Medela Advanced
1% 2 votes
Hygeia Q
6% 8 votes
Ameda
15% 18 votes
Other (please specify in comments)
18% 22 votes

Re: Breast Pump Brand

• I probably should have mentioned I've listed only the ones that I know my insurance covers - others might be available through health insurance that I don't know about.
    formerly skoczera
    ~s.h.
    38 y.o. w/PCOS

F14 October Siggy Challenge - Animals in Costume
    ...image...

August Siggy Challenge-Rainbows & Unicorns

March 10, 2014 - G was born

Lilypie First Birthday tickers    Anniversary       
  • I put Medela PIS. B/c it's what I'm planning to get this time. I have had the Ameda in the past and it is also a great pump but I tried a Medela in the hospital last time and found it slightly more comfy. You can't go wrong with either.

• Loading the player...
  • edited December 2013

WIC covered my PIS Advanced and I used it for a year. I can't compare it to other pumps, but I never had any issues with this brand.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Hygeia Q, because it's a closed system, and both speed and suction power can be adjusted individually.
  • What is a closed system vs open system?
  • Open system means that breast milk can get into the motor and other places that you don't want it to be if you're getting a secondhand breastpump. Closed means that none of the really vital parts can come into contact with milk, and is more suited for more than one user. Rental pumps are closed systems usually.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Medela was rough on the nips and a friend who tried it also had bleeding!  I like the Lansinoh Affinity much better as it has softer cups and you can control speed and suction. FYI- I also love the Lansinoh manual pumps and had trouble with the Medela manual ones having suction.  
  • I loved the freedom of the battery-operated Medela Freestyle.  I didn't use the "hands-free" option on it very often, because it's kind of a nuisance to set up, but it was soooo nice not to be tethered to an outlet.  Not sure if the other brands are battery-operated, so this feature could apply to others on your list.
  • I said medella freestyle. With my first I had an older style pis and it worked well. This time I made the extra to get a freestyle through my insurance and it had been worth it. I like the freedom of being battery operated. The pump is small and I have actually thrown it in the diaper bag or a large purse so I didn't have to carry the big pump bag. I do not like the hands free setup it came with but bought a simple wishes hand free bra and it is great. I use it every time I pump ( 4 times a day) and am able to surf the web etc. I have also pumped while driving and while waking around house putting things away.
  • CHECK WITH YOUR HOSPITAL. Sorry to yell, but I didn't want you to miss this one. See what brand the hospital uses. They usually show you how to use whatever brand they have and will often send you on your way with a full complement of pump parts (since they can't use them with anyone else one you use them.). Mine even gave me a little manual pump to take with me. It was awesome. I got an extra set of shields, tubing, valves, and membranes and a few little bottles.
  • Oh and for easy hands-free pumping, buy a couple cheap front-close sports bras. Cut holes in the appropriate places. Voila. DD couldn't latch right. I pumped for 7 months. I would've gone completely crazy without it.
  • There's a breastfeeding board, too, if you want to ask there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"