3rd Trimester

How many bottles do you need for a newborn?

How many bottles will I need to buy to start off with?  I plan on breast feeding, but I just want to be prepared with bottles as well.  Thank you!

Re: How many bottles do you need for a newborn?

• I'm planning on bf too, and I've only got 3 bottles for the time being. I plan on getting more as I need them and am able to pump. Last time though I was unable to let down for the pump at all..... So this'll be a new adventure I'm sure.
    imageimage

• I'm starting with 4 or 5. I plan on breastfeeding as well and just pumping for when I can't bring baby with me to certain work meetings. (I'm a hall director so baby can come to most anything aside from interviews etc). I'd think that should be plenty but if you don't want to worry about immediate washing, perhaps a few more? You can always buy singles later on too which I may do as it'd be nice if my husband could help feed on the weekend nights when he's not working. 
  • Loading the player...
  • If you are BF you really don't need any bottles. Bottles are not recommended to be introduced until breast feeding is well established. 6 weeks minimum.
  • Also remember if you do use a bottle you have to pump to replace that feeding. The beginning is so important in establishing your supply. It works on a supply and demand. If baby eats you need to tell your body to replace that milk. So bottle feeding isn't going to give you a break. Especially at night. Night time is when your supply is the highest. If you have your husband wake up and feed the baby a bottle and you don't pump, you are telling your body you don't need that milk and it will start decreasing your supply. So what's the point of having husband feed baby if you have to get up and pump anyway. And the pump is not nearly as effective at removing milk from breast as baby is.
  • Thank you for the feedback.  I will be going back to work after the six weeks so I will need to introduce the bottle sooner than six weeks.  I will have to pump as well.  More than likely my husband will not be getting up to help feed him for the first six weeks. 

• I breast feed but also pump and have given both of my LOs bottles by 3 weeks. Neither had any issues with latching or what have you because of this, both champion breast and bottle feeders. Both had pacifiers as well, which the lactation police told me not use. Not saying this is the case for everyone, but you also have to do what works for you and LO, and sometimes that means a combo of breast and bottle.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would get a couple of a few different kinds, LO's can be very picky. Once you know what kind LO will take go out or have someone go out and get your stash. Ultimately I would say about 10 bottles for when you got back to work. 

• I'm another that was glad to have bottles on hand because breastfeeding did not work out as I had hoped. If you can, have a pump on hand as well, even a hand pump, or rent one from the hospital even if you think you don't need it.

Get 1-2 of a couple different kinds. If you need them, you can hand wash the couple that you need after every meal until you figure out which one LO likes. Some babies are indifferent to the bottle/nipple, some are very particular. My LO was both breast and bottle fed for the first 2 weeks of his life and did great switching back and forth with Medela bottles. When I EPed for him from 2-10 weeks we used Medela. Once he became a FF baby at 10 weeks we got Dr Browns bottles and love them. 
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"