Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Big dogs and soon to be toddler

My LO is starting to crawl and I can tell walking is not very far off. We have three big German Shepards. So far, we have kept her off the ground and only let her roam freely on the bed or in her room (where the dogs aren't allowed). However, I am sure that she is going to want more places to roam as she gets more mobile. I'm afraid to let her just crawl around on the floor anywhere else in the house because I don't want the dogs getting startled by something (front door, etc) and rushing across the room, running over her. Anyone here have big dogs? How have you compromised giving your LO room to roam but letting the dogs have their space too? We have a ranch house.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Big dogs and soon to be toddler

• Options
    My LO has been crawling for a few weeks now. Honestly, we did the reverseof you. Dogs are confined to a room or outside and LO has free roam of the house (with supervision).

I also have baby gates separating the front and back of the house, so if me and LO are in the back the dogs can have the run of the front of the house.

Last, my dogs have been trained not to run or bark in the house. They know to go out back if they want to do that. So there is hope to train those behaviors out of them.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have 2 big labs. When ds was born 3 yrs ago we just watched the dogs closely from the get go. They just adjusted & by the time ds was mobile they were aware of him.
    Now with dd 7 months old they are soo great with the kids. I never worry anymore.
    We also have their dog beds in the living room so they know where to go.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You could try and use a gate that forms a circle it's like a plane but just gates so she can still crawl on the floor. Sorry can't remember the name of the gate:)
  • Options
    I think I know what you are talking about s2becrawford. I will keep an eye out for one of those. Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I am going to try a combination. I may need to get something softer for her to crawl on around the house, we have hardword floors.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I think I know what you are talking about s2becrawford. I will keep an eye out for one of those. Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I am going to try a combination. I may need to get something softer for her to crawl on around the house, we have hardword floors.

We have travertine floors, doesn't seem to bother LO at all. We have a couple area rugs down, but he really doesn't seem to have a preference.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    It's good to hear that the hardwood isn't a problem. I am always worried about it especially because she likes to throw herself back when she's sitting up. I'm always worried she's going to bonk her head really hard.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We have English Mastiffs (about 170+ lbs ea.).  Big Babies!  Most of the time we keep them gated to one side of the house (split floor plan).  I'm doing what I did with my first.  I teach the dogs to watch / work when around LO.  I also teach LO not to go after the dogs.  They usually will meet in the middle for a few moments, and both respect each other's space.  Works fine. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"